Daily Check in June 4, 2023

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
mbrudnic

Daily Check in June 4, 2023

Post by mbrudnic »

Good Morning everyone and have a blessed Sunday,

So yesterday was, of course DGSs' back to back baseball games. DGS6 refused to play. So I watched a bit and then decided to go shopping for a Father's day gift and the University gift shop. I lucked into a sale of 50% off of Under Armor Polo shirts. Then I went back for DGS9's game. He had a decent game. His team won. They already qualified for playoffs for the Little League World Series.

So I need to leave in half an hour for Church. Then I think I will get coffee, come home and read my paper and then make a quick visit to Mom and Dad's. Then I will go to DS1's to discuss food for our vacation in 2 weeks. I have lists. We basically need to take all consumables since we are renting a cottage.

Have a great day,
Maggie
HappyDaze

Re: Daily Check in June 4, 2023

Post by HappyDaze »

Good morning, Maggie and everyone. Maggie, great score on the Father's Day gift! I don't know what your weather was like yesterday but here it was a perfect day for baseball. Another nice one on tap for today.

I woke up with a fierce headache. Coffee is helping. The dogs have been out and are settled down.

I did not know until yesterday that DD has picked up a temporary job and has been working for about 2 weeks!! I don't know why she didn't tell me. She is working for a company that cleans cottages and homes on the lake. A friend of a friend of hers owns the business and is desperate for help. It's very decent money too - $18 an hour for cleaning - and minimum wage here is $14.20.

The kiddos leave for the farm in about a week (he was there for a couple weeks, is back till it's time for them both to go for the whole season). I am sure going to miss them. I remember last year when they left, it was such a huge adjustment. And I thought I would never adjust to NOT living alone. I guess you just never know.

You wouldn't think it would make that much of a difference since they have their own quarters and all but it does. Ah well, I'll get through it - then they'll be back in the fall and I'll have to adjust again, lol. Having them here has been such a blessing to me. It was supposed to be to help them out during the pandemic - it has helped me out just as much, if not more.

Well, I'm off to check emails, etc. and then have to tidy up around here - I left a trail of disaster while getting ready for the wedding yesterday.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Good morning friends.

Maggie, that is impressive that your DGS9 is part of a team in the playoffs for the Little League World Series.

Penny, I’m glad that you got a new a/c compressor and you are now cool!

MJ, I agree with Creative that $42 seems high for a haircut.

I am again working on clutter today. I’ve come to the conclusion that decluttering mom’s house won’t help unless I get rid of more of my own stuff. Yesterday I continued with the paper monster. I’m done shredding mom’s old taxes but why do I keep so much of my own paper? I shredded 2019 and 2020 Medicare statements and will start 2021 today. A few years ago I went through all my paperwork file boxes but I’m going to go through them again (not today).

Today I’m tackling VHS tapes. Yup, I still have “historic” events I’ve taped over the years - Diana, 9/11 etc. It’s mostly all on YouTube now.

There was a good article and comments about clutter a few weeks ago on NYT. It’s called Depression Rooms and Doom Piles: Why Clearing the Clutter Can Seem Impossible. The top “reader favorite” comment hits home focused on stuff that has memories.

My washing machine just finished. I stripped and remade my bed last night (usually do it early but got the urge last night).

Have a good day.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Good morning

Another early morning for me, but I did go to bed early. I am starting to like this schedule. Wow can't believe I used to stay up until 1 or 2 in the morning. I slept okay until the thunder and lightning started up again. Two nights in a row now. At least I still don't have to water my tomato plants.

Today I am going to my sister's retirement party. She is a teacher. My brother and SIL are picking me up. I am getting so used to people carting me around! :mrgreen: I am very lucky.

I hope it doesn't rain during the party, but it can be indoors also. She has a pretty big house.

It will be good to see my nephews/niece and grand-nephews and nieces. They all live in the city and have busy careers.

Hope all have a great day.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

MJ, I pay at least that for a haircut here and between Hubby and I are hitting close to $90.00 for the two of us after tip. I just figured out what the cost would be in American dollars for your cut and styling and really the price of $32.00 USD (I rounded it off) does not sound half bad.

We are under a heat advisory for probably the next few days (actually almost a week). So this means any outside work will need to be done in the mornings. It also means cold plates, and main dish salads or BBQing out in the shade. Just checked next weeks menus and yep I seem to have set things up correctly for hot weather.

I talked to youngest DS last evening and he said he needs to replace some shingles on his roof, and get something called yellow clay to put around the foundation in the back of his house. He had a bit of water in his basement due to the terrific rain blasts they have been getting in the city. So he has spent some of his weekend off cleaning up the mess in the basement.

I will give oldest DS a call later tonight and see how he is faring in this whole end of the school year thing and getting a few things done in his yard.

Started the mitts yesterday and got one pair completed as well as getting the second pair cast on. I should complete those today and finish up the lonely ball of dusty pink yarn. I also finished of the skein of tweed yarn I am using to knit the blanket and will add ball number 4 in today.

Household tasks for today are water plants outside, make the task list for next week, and do any unfinished tasks (of which there really are none). I will pull up the fliers online and start my grocery list as well. Heck as it is supposed to get hotter as the week progresses, I may head out shopping today. I may as well take advantage of the coolest of the next 4 days.

Supper tonight will be a pork roast done on the smoker, plus tinfoil potatoes and carrots.

Today I am grateful that I can choose when I go shopping and what I purchase. Many people now can't.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

Good morning all

My haircut is 20 dollars and that includes tip. But that is not washing, it it is basically razor cut all over with some trimming.

I also woke up earlier. I am trying to sowly get back to going to bed a bit earier and if I wake up once in the night I am okay with that.

My shoulder and my hand really hurt and I am feeling restless. If I continue to feel this way I will do church online, because I don't want to be squirming in my pew and distracting anyone or having people like at my and wonder "what the heck?". It is trimity sunday though so I definitely want to watch the whole service and sing all the "holy, holy, holys".

Been avoiding going to the store as much as possible but after today it will be a must. No more eggs, no more coke, no meet in the fridge or freezer. and so on. I think I am going to make a large slow cooker fully of "summery" chili and add fresh tomatoes and peas and corn and maybe possible a little summer squash to the traditinal mix, and have that be one of my freezer meals this week. The other will be a homemade version of "tuna helper" doubled.

Tomorrow is the meeting planning for our summer bible camp for seniors, so even if I stay at home my afternoon will be spent researching church stuff. We are thinking about making the book the Four Agreements which is not a relgious book as such. Need programs and games and food and crafts for each day.

of to slowly get moving and see how it goes.