Daily Check In- June 5, 2023

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
casadekitty

Re: Daily Check In- June 5, 2023

Post by casadekitty »

Hello all,

It is really nice temperature wise right now, only supposed to get to 82 which is just wonderful.

I have been to town and errands are taken care of. Right now I am waiting on my heated milk to cool to make yogurt. Starter is coming to room temp and so I am target to have it incubating early afternoon.

I had to go to the farm store for chicken feed.....holy moly up from 14.99 to 21.99! I heard another guy saying he wonders if the powers that be are trying to run the small grower out of business. I don't know if that is the case but I do know that Ukraine produces a lot of cereal grains when not in a war. I think I have heard Ukraine referred to as the bread basket of Europe.

No strawberries in the stores, grapes are also scarce....produce manager said they have been refusing them because they are being shipped mushy and rotten. It is coming into local strawberry season, maybe I can find some soon. I bought blackberries and have bananas for my smoothies and have no problem using canned fruit if need be. Or frozen.
I did pick up 15# of boneless skinless chicken breasts at 1.99 per pound. They had marked down ground turkey but I didn't buy it because I had no clue if the DD's use it, turns out they do so next time I will buy it.

I did find 3 pks of marked down Italian salad mix at .76 each. So salad greens for the week. Topped with chicken and other things.. And hopefully taco salad!!!!

So now it's time to clean up some messes and get some house chores done. I did a load of laundry before going in town...hung outside. They are probably dry by now.
JCKitty
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

The time and temp at the supermarket next to the drugstore said 85 and I believe it. It is so humid too. I went out c to feed the birds and put clean water in the bird bath, and the air was just sticky.

Picked up my prescription(s), along with some toilet paper that had a 50 cent coupon and some B12 that was buy one, get one free. I started taking B12 after reading some reasearch that it might help pain associated with arthritis. That and D3 are supposed to be good for it.

Gas prices were not particularly good, but my car was a half tank down, so I filled up at Walmart for $3.07 a gallon. It probably won't be cheaper here this summer. DH goes to Costco, but he drives a lot more than I do.
Mackie
ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

LogicsHere wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:58 am Good morning all.

It's going to be a nice day if the wind would stop blowing for awhile. The sun is expected to be going in and out much of the day but it should reach the mid 70s which will be about 10 degrees warmer than it was this weekend.

Well my sister is on her way home. We had a really good time together. It was so very different from when she came up from Florida. A couple of times, we laughed so hard we couldn't breathe LOL. What a fun weekend . . . we both enjoyed each other's company, there were no spats or raised voices. I even got to video chat with my niece's son for a few minutes.

Today I have my Monday chat. The man who has been leading the group is back from his 6 week trip to Europe. I then have my last coloring session until September.

Tonight my menu says chicken so I might make chicken fried rice.

Well that's it for now. I hope everyone had a great weekend. Have a wonderful day.
Logics..so glad you had a nice visit with your sister!
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Logics, that is nice about your sister. She must have felt very displaced before and now the area feels like home.

My legs graduated from PT this afternoon and I get a short break of a week before returning for therapy for my back. I need to buy an inexpensive piece of fitness equipment, but otherwise can so everything with a chair and fitness bands. I feel so much better now.
Mackie
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Good evening all. Wow, people are busy! Mackie, congrats to your legs for graduation from PT. Logics, so glad your visit with your sister was good!

I had a decent day at work. I have a block of tofu draining to make something for supper and I want to put a potato/kale soup together and get it ready in the slow cooker - I'll plug it in before I go to work tomorrow.

I just applied for another job - director of a library in a neighboring town, 30 hours a week and decent pay. What appeals to me about it is the hours are flexible - day, evening, weekend - whenever you want to get it done. It does require some flexibility for events, etc. and I don't view that as a problem at all. I hope to at least get an interview.

I'm off to get my potatoes diced and the kale prepped, etc. Have a good evening!
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Update

We actually at one point reached 102 with the humidity. Staying in during the height of the heat and getting what needs doing outside done in the early morning. Haven't melted yet, though hanging clothes outside today I almost felt like that could happen.

I did not wash the floors today, they can wait until tomorrow. I just swept them all, and will do so again tomorrow before washing them. Lots of ironing to do tomorrow as well, and I need to make a buttonhole in Hubby's robe.

I pulled out double the ground beef today and Hubby is smoking 8 quarter pounders. That is enough for 4 meals that all I would have to cook is the sides after warming them up in the microwave or toaster oven. I also made the potato salad but will just have various veggies (cut cukes, pickles, and warmed up mushrooms) to put on top of the hamburgers along with a slice of cheese. When it is this warm neither of us really wants to eat too much.

One of these mornings I am going to have to pick rhubarb. My two plants are growing by leaps and bounds. Problem is I still have some frozen from last year.... I may pick up strawberries and make strawberry/rhubarb jam.

Off to see what I can get into next (probably finish folding the clothes, just have socks left).

I am not going to be able to finish this larger pair of mitts in one sitting. I did get quite a bit of the second mitt completed though and may even get a bit more done before supper.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/