Daily Check In- June 5, 2023

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
MackerelCat

Re: Daily Check In- June 5, 2023

Post by MackerelCat »

Good morning, frugal friends. We had rain last night in SE Tennessee. I joked that it rained because I washed the dogs. Now they can get muddy! It had been a very hot day and the storm had a good wind that dropped the temp by about 25 degrees.

The muffins I made yesterday turned out very good. The recipe is very plain, so I add whatever fruit and seasoning strikes my fancy. Lemon blueberry is a winner.

Today I have PT and have to pick up a prescription at the drugstore. Should also put some gas in my car this week if the price is decent.

DH has set up to have some repairs done on the house -- things we can't do ourselves. One of those happens this week: repairing the siding over the garage.

The coffee is gone, so my day is fueled up. Hope you all have a good day.
Mackie
Grannysewstoys

Post by Grannysewstoys »

I spent the last 40 minutes on the phone most of the time holding.

I had to call a doctors office re their not renewing a Rx. I also want to see if I can go back to a previous Dr, but last time I asked she didn't accept my insurance. According to her web site I do have an insurance they accept.

I have called the office re my shower drain back up.

I actually did bake my blueberry oatmeal muffins this morning. I put 10 into the freezer.

Now I need to tackle the dishes. I have to empty the dish drainer and dishwasher. Then wash the hand dishes.

Penny
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

Bonne matin mes amis!

It's only 9:45 am and already up to 79F with an 88F heat index. Whew! It's supposed to be 99F by 1 pm. They might as well just come out and say 100F. It's going to be warm. It will be another day when I am mostly inside except for going to lunch.

This afternoon, my former spouse, David, will give me a shout about setting up a time for me to take over my counter top ice machine to see if there is something wrong with the sensor that determines it is full of ice (it keeps saying it is when there is none and refuses to make more!) or if the computer component in it is kaput. He was an electrical technician guy with the provincial telephone company for some 35 years. He knows how to check this stuff and has equipment to do so. I am very thankful he can, and will, give a gal a hand.

I have to unload the dishwasher and will package up my Magic Cookie Bars to put in the refrigerator. Then I can wash the pan and maybe make something else in there for a sweet dessert type dealio and freeze. Once I get the counter top ice machine moved, I guess I can fix up that counter before the one with my stand mixer on it.
I've got my cup of joe waking me up, again. I got up at 5 am, listened to a bit of CBC Radio and then came out to my recliner for a bit more snoozing. I just love my new chair. I love the rocker part just as much as the recliner part.

I'll be wearing my Tilley Hat today. Gotta protect the noggin from the heat. Once, while working for the Geological Survey of CANADA, I didn't wear my hat while we were out in the field and got heat exhaustion. UGH! I haven't be that sick for that long in forever! I had to fly to a Board of Directors' meeting in Ottawa from Winnipeg. I first had to drive the 3 hours to the airport. I had a miserable headache and once I got on the plaine? EEKS! A headache and wooziness and nausea. I wouldn't wish heat exhaustion on ANYONE! I was miserable the entire weekend long board meeting and for 2 days after I got back to work. I learned my lesson!! BIG TIME!

I thawed 2 packages of individual servings of hamburger for supper tonight. I think I will make some kind of sloppy joes. I'll play it by ear though. I might change my mind depending on what is for lunch when I go downtown. I met a lovely lady, Sally, last Wednesday at lunch. Turns out she literally lives right across the street from me! I gave her a ride home and today, if she is there, I will try to set up days and times we can go downtown together for lunch. The Soup Kitchen is on 7th Street and We are on 26th street so in this heat it is a pretty nasty walk during the height of the heat index for the day. I'd like to help her out. She just moved here from Thompson, MB (WAY up north) the first of May. She doesn't have WiFi or a phone so it would have to be set-up and me making a commitment to get my hiney out of the house to pick her up on the set days. I am thinking M-W-F. I am getting kinda miffed at Jim just assuming he can get a ride home from me everyday. He isn't on "my route" and gas is a pretty expensive commodity that I really have to stretch this month. When he was together with his wife, I used to babysit their son. They promised me they would get some gift certificates from their church to pay me. Didn't happen. Then? He "bought" my LED monitor for his computer for $60 and I never saw that either. Maybe I shouldn't remember that stuff but I was taken advantage of then and don't feel like having it happen again, if ya know what I mean.

I might pick-up the book Ron gave me for Christmas again today. I also recorded Dateline on the weekend and probably will watch those today. I love murder mysteries.

Well, off to do something. Probably the dishwasher!

That's the skinny from around here!

MJ
Hope has a good imagination.
Grannysewstoys

Post by Grannysewstoys »

I decided that today is the day that I descale my Keurig coffee maker. I try to do about every new order of coffee pods. My son sends me 96 pods at a time. He does his coffee maker every 100 coffee filters. As I do it I take the hot vinegar water and pour into my dish drainer. To remove the lime build up there.

Penny
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

wow MJ. Down here in south Texas, we haven't even hit 80 degrees today. Crazy weather!
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

Its eighty now and is supposed to be 86 by the end of the day. North Texas seems to be warmer.

I broke down and ordered a ten inch domino's pizza. That's a quick 20 dollars pus tip but I am shopping after my meeting at one thirty and did not want to make a separate trip before said meeting.

I want to gesso some canvases today for painting, and plan my bright quilt and work online surveys for an hour but my book keeps calling to me. I'll try and do a couple things here before the pizza guy comes.

Sometimes I can set a book aside for certain times and sometimes I need to keep on reading right now!!