Daily Check-in June 7, 2023

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
LogicsHere

Daily Check-in June 7, 2023

Post by LogicsHere »

Good morning all.

Had a bad night's sleep last night. Woke up 11:30, again at 1:30 and tried to go back to sleep. Laid in bed for another hour and a half unsuccessful so finally got up. Looks like a nap will be in order later.

Yesterday was a long day. My niece got called for jury duty and we waited all day to find out at almost 6:00 last night that she was selected as a juror on a murder case. The judge told them that the case would be over this Friday so they must be awfully sure that it's a rock solid, no brainer. We kept hoping she wouldn't end up on a murder case but . . . To the best of my knowledge, she will be the first in our family to ever officially serve in the capacity of a juror. My sister was called once, but didn't have to serve. I had been called at least 10 times in my lifetime but had never been selected. I think that's why I had a restless night because I had trouble getting my niece off my mind.

Today will generally be a repeat of yesterday. Have not started the daily chores or exercising . . . still too early. I will probably turn off the light and go lay down for awhile when I finish my post.

Tonight for dinner I'm going to make vegetable fried rice.

Well that's all for now.

Have a wonderful day.
HappyDaze

Re: Daily Check-in June 7, 2023

Post by HappyDaze »

Good morning, everyone. Logics, sorry to hear your sleep wasn't good - I hate when that happens. Hope you get that nap!

I cannot imagine being a juror on a murder case - how awful for your niece. I don't know if I would even be allowed to since my brother-in-Iaw died that way. I served about 5 years ago - it was a dog bite case. We were asked to say "yes" or "no" to whether the dog owner had malicious intent when he let his dog outside and it bit a police officer who was assisting with a drug bust at a neighboring house. We could not prove malicious intent (and none of us believed there was any) so the dog owner was acquitted.

I thought I would be excused because the attorney for the defense was my ex-husband's divorce lawyer - but the judge asked me "well do you hate him" and I said "my ex-husband?" and the judge said NO....his attorney...and I said no...and the judge said "sit down." :-)

Our air is getting a little better and they say by 3:00-ish today it should be back to non-dangerous quality. Yesterday you could literally see and smell the smoke - today it is just a haze over everything and dark. Windows are all closed.

Felix the cat spent the night with me. I asked if he could and got him a litter box. DD is right - he likes to run and race in the middle of the night. That got the dogs going but we were only up for about 10 minutes and everyone settled back down.

I have meetings today that I'm not looking forward to - the first with our worker's compensation insurance provider to review our claims and discuss renewal, then my performance evaluation, then I have to train my team on the process for retaining, storing, and destroying forms that employees fill out for US citizen and immigration services.

I'm trying to get everyone up to speed on a lot of things since I won't be there forever and I hate it when there is only one person on a team who has certain information or can do something. For years I was the only one who knew how to make employee i.d. badges - finally two other people can make them - so if I'm not there it gets done.

I apologize for being so chatty this morning. I hope everyone has a very good day.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Good morning

Another sunny day here in south texas.

Also did not sleep well last night and I had been doing so well. I did go to bed by 7 and was up by 6. So maybe I did sleep a lot. Think I woke up about 1 to use the facilities.

Not sure what I will do today. Ugh - just have no get up and go. I blame it on Long Covid - that is my story and I am sticking to it!

Have a great day all.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

HappyDaze wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:38 am Good morning, everyone. Logics, sorry to hear your sleep wasn't good - I hate when that happens. Hope you get that nap!

I cannot imagine being a juror on a murder case - how awful for your niece. I don't know if I would even be allowed to since my brother-in-Iaw died that way. I served about 5 years ago - it was a dog bite case. We were asked to say "yes" or "no" to whether the dog owner had malicious intent when he let his dog outside and it bit a police officer who was assisting with a drug bust at a neighboring house. We could not prove malicious intent (and none of us believed there was any) so the dog owner was acquitted.

I thought I would be excused because the attorney for the defense was my ex-husband's divorce lawyer - but the judge asked me "well do you hate him" and I said "my ex-husband?" and the judge said NO....his attorney...and I said no...and the judge said "sit down." :-)

Our air is getting a little better and they say by 3:00-ish today it should be back to non-dangerous quality. Yesterday you could literally see and smell the smoke - today it is just a haze over everything and dark. Windows are all closed.

Felix the cat spent the night with me. I asked if he could and got him a litter box. DD is right - he likes to run and race in the middle of the night. That got the dogs going but we were only up for about 10 minutes and everyone settled back down.

I have meetings today that I'm not looking forward to - the first with our worker's compensation insurance provider to review our claims and discuss renewal, then my performance evaluation, then I have to train my team on the process for retaining, storing, and destroying forms that employees fill out for US citizen and immigration services.

I'm trying to get everyone up to speed on a lot of things since I won't be there forever and I hate it when there is only one person on a team who has certain information or can do something. For years I was the only one who knew how to make employee i.d. badges - finally two other people can make them - so if I'm not there it gets done.

I apologize for being so chatty this morning. I hope everyone has a very good day.
At least you got asked a couple of questions. When I served (the first year we moved here) the judge said "Prospective juror look at the accused. Accused look at the prospective juror." We stared at each other for a minute or two and then the judge said "Take a seat in the box." Here I was already to be questioned by the lawyers and nothing....what a let down, not at all like you see on TV.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

Sun is shining, and the air conditioner already cut in once. It so did not cool off much overnight and I spent some time going room to room to find a cool place to sleep.

My task list isn't that long today, and Hubby is going to water my plants giving them a bit of a fertilizer injection at the same time. Looking forward not to be lugging those big watering cans around. Still I do have a few things to do today namely dusting, putting away the clean dishes, weeding by the shed (shady there), and a bit of extra cleaning. Not a lot but a bit to finish from other days as well when I was just to tired to get those items done. I do have the dishes put away so one thing off the list. Just to work up the energy to do some more.

Then it will be back to knitting in the afternoon, and perhaps making a list for later this week to pick a few things up. A different store this time and more the not food type items that I have noticed we are getting low on (kleenix, toilet paper, that type of item). I might take a look at inexpensive bathmats as we need to take our own on our trip. Should also go over my list of items we need to take as it is getting very close to leaving for some peace and quiet, sitting by the cabin enjoying our time away. I just wish it was our favourite place to be doing so, but second favourite is good enough right now. The only thing is we will be there a week and one can only hike so many of the trails we have hiked before. I have been looking at tourist attractions outside of the park and found a few we can spend a day visiting.

Our blind has been shipped and should be here next week. So looking forward to not having the blinding lights from next door's deck shining in our bedroom all night. They make it as bright as day in the middle of the night. These are electric lights and they are left on night and day....Can just imagine the electric bill. Funny thing is that the drapes in the bedroom are thermal drapes and are thickly lined....How does the light get through?????

Supper tonight will be another stovetop meal. I am pulling out the leftover lentil curry (will be adding some frozen tomatoes to it), making rice in the Instant Pot, and cutting up some veggies to serve with dip. Should not heat up the house much at all.

Today I am grateful for meals that can be made without using the oven or heating up the house... Thank you all inventors of household appliances.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

LogicsHere wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:10 am Good morning all.

Had a bad night's sleep last night. Woke up 11:30, again at 1:30 and tried to go back to sleep. Laid in bed for another hour and a half unsuccessful so finally got up. Looks like a nap will be in order later.

Yesterday was a long day. My niece got called for jury duty and we waited all day to find out at almost 6:00 last night that she was selected as a juror on a murder case. The judge told them that the case would be over this Friday so they must be awfully sure that it's a rock solid, no brainer. We kept hoping she wouldn't end up on a murder case but . . . To the best of my knowledge, she will be the first in our family to ever officially serve in the capacity of a juror. My sister was called once, but didn't have to serve. I had been called at least 10 times in my lifetime but had never been selected. I think that's why I had a restless night because I had trouble getting my niece off my mind.

Today will generally be a repeat of yesterday. Have not started the daily chores or exercising . . . still too early. I will probably turn off the light and go lay down for awhile when I finish my post.

Tonight for dinner I'm going to make vegetable fried rice.

Well that's all for now.

Have a wonderful day.
Having been the victim of a burglary early in our marriage got me out of serving on burglary cases a few times. Unfortunately, that's so common now it probably would not work any more.
Mackie