Unforeseen consequences of rent control.

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
icfrugal1

Unforeseen consequences of rent control.

Post by icfrugal1 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:32 pm

http://www.gregkroleski.com/2015/11/03/ ... -two-sons/

An unforeseen consequence of rent control. In normal life as you go from 1 to a partner to kids you would move from a 400 sq ft studio to a one bedroom to two bedrooms with the coming of kids.
Here Greg Kroleski explains why it was hard to move and give up the great rent even when it did not fit his life changed style with a wife and kids.

icfrugal1

Re: Unforeseen consequences of rent control.

Post by icfrugal1 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:46 pm

One of the many things that he hit the head on is on getting rid of stuff.

"""A lot of the things I owned were in my house with the purpose of ‘I might need this someday’. I had to work hard to convince myself that I didn’t. In the end the compromise came down to this – ‘if you get rid of this and need it again, you have permission to buy it from Amazon with same day delivery’ – so far that hasn’t happened."""""

I like this idea, food for thought for me :)

IC

BevMoore

Post by BevMoore » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:53 pm

What bothers me about decluttering is there have been things I have gotten rid of thinking I could replace them if I ever needed them. Problem is you may not find them. I have mostly run into this when doing home improvements. For example, the top grade laminate I installed in my house 10 years ago. I happened to be in the store about five years ago where I bought it. I asked why this particular brand of flooring was no longer being carried and was told because the company discontinued making flooring. Fortunately I have three unopened packages along with some partially used packages stored in my garage. Lesson learned; keep all the excess materials used in your home unless you want to completely re do it in a different way. I am so glad I have kept the materials instead of returning them for a refund. That way if there is any damage to my laminate or tiles I have what I need to fix them.

Bev

dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:01 am

I also think it is pretty easy to rent some things you only need once in a while.

ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:54 pm

Thanks IC~ I enjoyed reading this link.

LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:05 am

More than 1 person occupying a Studio apartment in NY is a No/No. I know that you can "sneak" a second person because I did that with my mom and I, but 2 kids? Seems unrealistic to me.