Cloth Diapers

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
ohjodi

Re: Cloth Diapers

Post by ohjodi »

IT'S A BOY! Congratulations and very best wishes!

There may be a link between disposable diapers and sanitary napkins, and endometriosis, infertility (male and female), and maybe other issues.

My sister in London has a 5-month old daughter (I get to meet her this week!) and she is using cloth diapers and is very happy with them. She has these leak resistant diaper covers with a variety of plastic snaps on them so she can adjust the size. She uses "organic" (or some kind of natural) disposables for traveling.

I am suspicious that disposable diapers, and training pants, are TOO GOOD at keeping a baby dry, and that's why it seems toddlers are getting potty trained much later than they used to be. The kid doesn't feel yucky when they pee, so they don't realize the need to use the toilet. So they don't.
ohjodi
Heloise

Post by Heloise »

ohjodi wrote:I am suspicious that disposable diapers, and training pants, are TOO GOOD at keeping a baby dry, and that's why it seems toddlers are getting potty trained much later than they used to be. The kid doesn't feel yucky when they pee, so they don't realize the need to use the toilet. So they don't.
It's a fact. Thinking back to my babysitting days (1970's), I don't recall ever having to change a child wearing diapers past the age of around 2.5 years (cloth diapers being the norm back then), however, today it's not uncommon to see 4 year olds still not trained (hello disposables).

Aside from cloth diapers, I also used cloth training pants, so my kids always felt the wet, and when I diapered I always used two diapers at a time which made for a bulky bottom, and double diapers sagged terribly when wet, adding to the child's discomfort, unlike the ultra-thin disposables of today.
BeckyO

Post by BeckyO »

Totally wrong of me to get into this thread... But, have any of you watched from behind as some young man walked past with his bluejeans or other pants pulled down, almost to indecency... If you have ever seen those sagging wet double diapers, or loaded ones, you will do a double take. I have laughed my head off and when my DGSon asked, I made sure to tell him what I was laughing about!
Heloise

Post by Heloise »

BeckyO wrote:Totally wrong of me to get into this thread... But, have any of you watched from behind as some young man walked past with his bluejeans or other pants pulled down, almost to indecency... If you have ever seen those sagging wet double diapers, or loaded ones, you will do a double take. I have laughed my head off and when my DGSon asked, I made sure to tell him what I was laughing about!
LOL! I've witnessed both! I always double diapered and remember how my kids double diapers, so heavy when wet or full, would pull down on the elastic waistband of their rubber pants, stretching the seat way down and creating a full-bottom, major droopy-pants saggy look!

By the way, it wasn't wrong of you (at all) checking into this thread. We all need a little comedy in our lives once in a while! Thanks for the laugh and memory!
Heloise

Post by Heloise »

BeckyO wrote:I have laughed my head off and when my DGSon asked, I made sure to tell him what I was laughing about!
I sincerely hope your DGS isn't following in the footsteps of today's droopy, saggy pants generation.
Heloise

Post by Heloise »

One thing I still remember about the cloth diaper days in my home, was the strong ammonia odour that would whoosh-out of the diaper pail the instant you lifted the lid, and how it would burn at your nose and eyes!

Rubber pants were the same after putting in a night-shift! That first diaper change in the morning... pulling back the elastic waistband of the pants, and how the hot gassy odour of ammonia would rush out! Pee-ew!