Cloth Diapers

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Heloise

Re: Cloth Diapers

Post by Heloise »

And I'm certain no reminder is needed for those of us who cloth diapered back in the day, as to the pin-pricks we suffered! LOL!

Heloise

Post by Heloise »

MackerelCat wrote:We did it the old fashioned way to start, with diaper pins and vinyl (plastic) pants, but switched to Gerber diaper covers, which held the diapers in place without using pins
Okay, 25 years ago equals 1990 (according to the date of your post), which means both you and I were diapering the old-fashioned way in our homes at the time. I knew of only 3 or 4 other mothers (one being my SIL) who were still using cloth diapers, pins, and rubber pants. Everyone else I knew had long switched over to disposables (years earlier, like way back in the 80's).

I do recall modern, non-vinyl diaper covers coming out around that time that incorporated the use of Velcro, but I never used them. Did the updated covers you used hold in the wetness as well as the old standard plastic pants?

MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Not quite as well as plastic pants, but well enough. A huge wetting could sometimes cause the Gerber covers to become a little damp, especially as the covers got older. He'd usually outgrow them about the time that dampness became a problem.
Mackie

Heloise

Post by Heloise »

I give you credit, MackerelCat, for being brave enough to branch-out and try something new and different at the time. Mothers like yourself were trailblazers in my view.

MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Some of my aunts looked at me like I had two heads when they learned we were cloth-diapering. :-D But it saved us a bunch of money, the baby never got a rash from diapers, and it kept a ton of trash out of the landfill.
Mackie

Heloise

Post by Heloise »

MackerelCat wrote:Some of my aunts looked at me like I had two heads when they learned we were cloth-diapering. :-D But it saved us a bunch of money, the baby never got a rash from diapers, and it kept a ton of trash out of the landfill.
I had an aunt who balked at the idea of me using cloth diapers. For months on end she talked about me behind my back, telling everyone how it wouldn't last, and what was I thinking, but as each of my kids came along sportin' a rubber-panted bottom, her empty and meaningless blabbering came to a quiet end.

While I openly admit there were times I felt somewhat out of place still using the old in a disposable world, I enjoyed the convenience of always having diapers on-hand in my home, as well as the exponential savings attached to using cloth, and there was no denying the comfort my children enjoyed wearing something natural against their skin (little to no irritation/rashes), not to mention on garbage pick-up day, no dirty diapers were waiting, so for me it was a win-win situation.