Daily Check In January 10, 2016

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

Daily Check In January 10, 2016

Post by Jackielou » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:26 am

Good morning all

Did a bit of a sweep up while waiting for my coffee to finish. Now off to get some. Back in a moment or two.

Jackielou

Re: Daily Check In January 10, 2016

Post by Jackielou » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:40 am

Good morning fellow frugalites

Another frigid morning on the flat lands of the Canadian Prairies. However if the weather people are right things should start warming up by tonight and stay fairly decent until next week end. Then we are back to bone chilling temperatures once again (well for at least Saturday).

Today Hubby and I will head out for brunch after Mass. We are going to do this instead of going out for supper today in celebration of our 40th Wedding Anniversary. Yep, by 3:00 pm this afternoon we will have been married that long (not as long as many of you, but slowly but surely getting there). Brunch is less costly and considering he bought me 3 dozen plus roses I think he has spent enough (got me 1 rose for every year). Anyway brunch is like two meals in one and my kitchen will stay cleaner longer.

Then we will be home while I wait for the person to pick up the next lot from the garage sale site I sold. I hope to put two more lots on today and hopefully sell them just as quickly.

This afternoon will be spent making a lovely supper for Hubby and myself. Plus a bit of a treat. The pie filling did not completely thaw until late last night so I am making those mini pies today. Served with some ice cream for our dessert and we should both be nice and full.

I also want to spend some time working on my embroidery. It is a great deal more stitching than I thought. The pattern shapes are very small and I find myself constantly trying to figure out if I am using the right shade of floss in the right place. To think I have even more of these stamped quilt tops from my Mom to do (I did send a couple to the Salvation Army while decluttering).

Supper tonight will be roast chicken, roasted potatoes, green beans, and the mini pies for dessert.

Today I am grateful that my sore throat and stuffy nose seem to be getting much better.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.

clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:44 am

Happy Anniversary Jackielou!

clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:48 am

Chilly, but not as cold as predicted. It didn't freeze after all.

It is nice and sunny - high 30s - no wind. I slept well considering. I guess I was tired. I feel so much better today.

I'm going out for breakfast - church fundraiser. I thought for sure, I was going to want to stay in and just veg, but why not.

Wearing the new sweater I purchased yesterday. Very good sale. I love it. Has a higher neckline, but not a turtle neck. The back of my head and upper shoulders feel the cold more. Don't know if it is because my hair is ultra short or just getting older. My oldest sister has this problem and she has long hair.

Will come home and tidy up. Have a great day.

LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:07 am

Happy Anniversary Jackie and best wishes for many, many more.

Raining here today, but it's supposed to slow down/stop sometime around Noon. It's supposed to get colder. There was some talk of possible snow Tuesday into Wednesday but not sure if it will hit this area.

Can't believe we're through 1/3 of the month already . . . amazing.

We're still waiting for my niece to have her baby. The date's been bounced back and forth several times so no one knows for sure at this point. The one thing we are, however, is afraid for her future as well as that of her baby. None of us feel she's made the right choice in a partner . . . I can't imagine a young man, 28 years old, married and expecting a baby being content working only a few hours a week part time and what's worse, I can't imagine my niece standing for it. Her mother has told her that she needs to set a fire underneath him because it wouldn't be fair for him to work 20 or so hours a week and her a full time job. Neither her mother nor I would ever have stood for such a thing . . . but then I wouldn't have married a man who was only working a part time job. Both of her parents as well as I fear for her future and personally I don't see the marriage lasting unless her husband gets a meaningful job. She's got a real learning experience ahead when she finds out that no one is just going to hand her money and she won't be able to go to the back yard and pick it off a tree. Her mother did her no good by paying her bills all these years and the awakening now that she's married is going to be a really, rude one.

Oh how I wish kids would listen to their parents . . . can you imagine how much grief it would save them? Oh well.

itspennyc

Post by itspennyc » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:55 am

Not much new this morning,

Yesterday my daughter took me to the optical shop. I got my glasses adjusted. Much better, this is why I went to Vision Works instead of the optical shop at the Dr’s office. Getting there is not easy as the office is located in a small city that doesn’t participate in the larger cities bus system. Thus the para transit system is not in that city. Unfortunately cities are allowed to vote to not pay the tax, thus no service.

I started knitting a Ladybird for my daughter, she doesn’t know she is getting it. I will give it to her on Friday.

I am planning a quiet day today. I do have to work on getting ready for my surgery, mostly organizing my apartment.

Penny