Daily Check in Jan 25, 2016

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
rinty

Re: Daily Check in Jan 25, 2016

Post by rinty » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:59 pm

Hey All,

I C Frugal I love your little check in !

Busy weekend with family. Nice though, not as spendy as it could have been thanks to vouchers and packing food to take along. Mind you we were at a wildlife park in the Cotswolds ( where all the posh folk live ) so it was never going to be super-cheap. DS and the DGKs loved it though and we were there all day.

When I went supermarket shopping for yellow stickers on Friday there was a MOB..........no joke. The shelves were picked clean, seriously nothing left. I did pick up bread and rolls for 10p though. DH reminded me that last weekend would have been the weekend before Payday in Jan and a lot of people get paid early in Dec for Christmas........it was horrible actually as people were circling looking for any deals and you could tell it wasn't the Thrill of the Chase, it was more like desperation. I just got the basics and a kilo of white fish ( basis for 2 meals this week) and left.

I have a job interview tomorrow so hoping for good things there.
Today was No Spend. I also served leftover leg of lamb with chopped up roast potato in mint gravy over colcannon ( mashed potato and cabbage )for dinner so that was good.

Off to agonise over what to wear at the interview : )

MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:47 pm

Good luck with the interview, Rinty! JusMom, that is so cute about J. being Little Guy's "bonus dad." I hope your folks' health improves soon.

I have swamped out the laundry room (aka the cats' room) and steam-cleaned the ottoman that some critter got sick on. It cleaned up very nicely, much to my surprise, but I need to sew a washable slip-cover for it because the cats love to sleep on it. Will have to see what sales will be going on at the fabric store next month.
Mackie

itspennyc

Post by itspennyc » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:01 pm

Jusmom1 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:58 pm

Hello everyone! Sorry I have been away so long again. So much for my good intentions! My mom was in the hospital most of last week again, so I was back and forth to the hospital all week. I crashed in bed by 6:30 every night. She was in the "far" hospital (they have a geriatric psychiatrist which our close one does not). It is 45 min each way without traffic. This weekend we got killed with snow, so I was kept busy mopping up the water as DH and J went in and out. I just about died by the time they finished snowblowing. The highlight of my whole weekend was playing with my "grandson". He is J's girlfriend's little boy, but considers us "Grandma" and "Grandpa". I am in HEAVEN. He is such a little love! He asked his mommy if J was his daddy. She said, "He's your bonus daddy. Some kids only have one daddy, you are lucky you get two." He is just as nuts about J as J is about him! He asked Santa if his mommy and J could get married as his Christmas gift. As much as they want to get married right now, they are waiting until all of the custody issues are worked out. I'm as anxious as the little guy is! I love his girlfriend dearly and can't WAIT until she is officially my daughter-in-love!

Today I am trying to get all of the laundry done that I didn't get to last week. It is way too much for me to be doing all in one day and I am going to pay even more tomorrow for pushing myself to do it today. But, my dad has been in the hospital once and my mom twice so far in 2016. As of when my mom went in, it was one hospitalization per week. Then when they are released I have been spending a whole day at their house figuring out all of the medication changes, making phone calls, etc. I have fallen WAY behind. I still have a box of Christmas decorations in my kitchen! But as long as my mom and dad are doing okay, I will learn to deal with my own time crunch!

For lunch I had leftovers of a dinner I had while mom was in the hospital. the hospital allowed my dad to stay over, so my aunt and I would stop and get a meal on the way home. the hospital food was horrible! I had one slice of turkey left, a spoonful of stuffing, a spoonful of mashed potatoes and a few carrot coins. It was delicious!

Right now I have only 5 things listed on ebay. Back on Jan 4 I sold most of the furniture in my living room, but I have been unable to get the buyer to come and pick it up. I have given him until this weekend to pick it up. If he doesn't I am going to refund his money and sell it to someone else. The real killer is that he got into a bidding war for the items. I could have had someone else buy them and probably pick them up by now had he not continued to bid! I will definitely block him from ever bidding on another thing I list. I had to report him to eBay in order to get paid and then had to report him again in order to get an email response. He told me there has been a minor health issue in his family. Really? I'll see your minor issue and raise you several hospitalizations...yet I still managed to do what I had to do for my customers who purchased other items! I think what has galled me the most is the total lack of communication. He has ignored communication pretty much from the get-go when he was automatically notified that he had won the bids. Oh well, all of my other items sold have been without any problem, so I should be thankful!

Off to move my clothes to the dryer and then collapse for the day...

Toodles...
{{{{{{Hugs}}}}}}

You have had a lot going on this past month.

Penny

Jackielou

Post by Jackielou » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:41 pm

rinty wrote:
I have a job interview tomorrow so hoping for good things there.
Today was No Spend. I also served leftover leg of lamb with chopped up roast potato in mint gravy over colcannon ( mashed potato and cabbage )for dinner so that was good.

Off to agonise over what to wear at the interview : )
Good luck on the interview tomorrow.

Jackielou

Post by Jackielou » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:48 pm

Update

I enjoyed some mint chocolate tea (gift from oldest DS) and then decided it was time to use up the over ripe bananas on the counter. So I mixed up some banana muffins and am cooking them in the cup cake maker that oldest DS purchased as my birthday gift. Seems to be working not too badly. I may try making some cup cakes a bit later in the week. All Christmas baking is finished now so of course my sweet tooth is acting up.

AuntBridget

Post by AuntBridget » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:31 pm

Good Afternoon.

Sitting here looking out at the falling snow as I type this....with any luck it will not amount to much......of course after all the snow received out East this weekend, I don't feel like I can really complain !

Kind of a boring Monday today, which is just fine with me.

We had work/school. I came home and changed into my jammies, and started laundry that I didn't get around to doing this weekend.

Right now I am sitting here enjoying a cup of hot chocolate . Bently thinks it is time for her to eat, so she is laying here at my feet to make sure that I don't go anywhere without her knowing it. Can't really complain as she is doing a great job of keeping them warm !!!

Tonight's supper will be a container of pasta fagoli that I had in my freezer. Thinking I might mix up a batch of corn bread to go along with it. Would be a nice addition to the meal, and turning on the oven would help warm up the house a bit.

Well, time to get Peter started on his homework, feed the dog and mix up some corn bread.

Have a great evening !

Rinty, Good luck on your job interview tomorrow.
Aunt Bridget