Daily Check in Jan 27, 2016

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
clemencia2us

Re: Daily Check in Jan 27, 2016

Post by clemencia2us »

MackerelCat wrote:
rinty wrote:So full spend............60p.

Am I pleased with myself, well , yes I am !
As well you should be! I wish American grocery stores would do more of that. I read a book titled "American Wasteland" a few weeks ago that was an eye-opener about how much food is wasted by grocery stores.

And Val, I hope they get those blasted kidney stones blasted out before they cause you any more trouble.
I like that she can just walk to the shops.

MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

We live on a curvy hill without sidewalks, so although some stores are fairly close by, it's not safe to walk there. Usually you could walk on the edge of someone's yard, but the yards all slope down into the street.

The city spent God only knows how much to put in bicycle lanes -- we rarely see a bicyclist using them -- and no sidewalks. It does not make sense.
Mackie

LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

Good evening

Kind of gray and cold here today, too.

Spent part of last night buying and setting up the new printer ... ours finally died. Did get a good deal, but of course, it's all in in the ink ;)

Not a lot going on ... whatever bug has hit the office is still making the rounds ... it's darn tough to get rid of ...

Have some paperwork to take care of tonight ... just started a fire in the fireplace to take off the chill (and turn the heat down).

Rinty, we like the markdowns, too. In our case, it kind of depends on which store .. some are much more generous. Yours are very good! I have DH trained ... when he goes to the store, he hits the markdown counter.

BevMoore

Post by BevMoore »

With meat items being so expensive these days nearly all of my meat purchases are orange sticker. That means I can get $3.00-6.00 off of most things. I even buy some of the more expensive cuts as a treat.

I also check the markdown bin at my store. There are great deals after holidays. I brought home seasonal coffee creamers that I like and a boatload of tinned fish items to use throughout the year. It's hit or miss but I keep my eyes open.

It's been awhile since I have checked in...been busy! We have a hard time keeping yard duty staff so I end up having to work on my scheduled days off. But since the job is a win-win for me (in terms of being paid to exercise and have fun) I don't mind although it does cut into my bowling time if I have to work on a Thursday. I am fixing to take the C-Best exam in April so I can also sub as a teacher part time. I may be crazy but I always thought it would be fun to work at a school and the beauty of retirement is being able to do those things I always wanted to do. One of these days I plan to rent a motor home and take a cross country road trip on Route 66. Not sure when though but it's on my bucket list.

I wish I could say I follow a written budget but I really don't these days. I know what bills need to be paid. I go online and pay those once a month..so quick and easy. Ii should keep better track of my grocery shopping but it seems like prices are changing all the time as well as what is available. Unfortunately one has to eat regardless of what it costs and I also struggle with my weight

That's about all I have for now. My house needs vacuuming and cleaning in the worst way. Our El Nino storms mean lots of dirt and debris getting tracked in. We so need the rain so I'm not complaining.

Bev

dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa »

Val I hope you get relief from the kidney stones right away. I heard they are the most awful thing imaginable. Cannot imagine having to wait.

I have spent much of the evening kicking the paper monster's behind. I feel much recovered from the cold thank goodness. Looking forward to a good night's sleep without the Nyquil-induced cotton mouth.

BeckyO

Post by BeckyO »

Update,
Valerie,I'm thinking good thoughts for you.

DD#1 came by and helped me buy min for my phone. I talked to DS#2. He was telling me about the mineral and gem fairs he has exhibited at. Good job. He just got back from Florida to see his brother, my DS#1. He had 10 custom orders for DS#1. I am proud of them. In Feb he will be exhibiting at a show here in my town. I will assist him : ) I think it will be fun. I remember the art festivals I used to exhibit in. He is talking about wanting some paintings of different gems and minerals to exhibit in his booth. Yes, I'll take the commission.

I called my housekeeper. She will be here Sat. Now I need to call DGD#2 to see if she wants to go to Florida with me next month.

I made a pitcher of lemonade. I boiled two chicken quarters. And I managed to spill drippings from the fresh chicken,on the floor. So I mopped the floor with a bleach solution. That killed my appetite so I fixed a pasta salad. Needed an onion. I think I will stick the other two quarters in the oven. I will decide tomorrow, noodles or dumplings??

DD brought a book . It has a nice long note over the author's signature. She had told me about it. Then she ruined it, LOL She said,"It is not really my kind of book. " and proceeded to tell me about a book she bought at the grocer's. She was reading while bathing and dropped it in the tub. She said she spent 10 min using her hair dryer on it, LOL so she could take it to the office with her, LOL she said that her DH spoiled that idea. He came into the office and asked her to do such and such, LOL