Gas prices!!! What are yours?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
gaylejackson2

Re: Gas prices!!! What are yours?

Post by gaylejackson2 »

I paid $1.95/gallon for low grade (85% octane) gasoline last week. LOL, actually I paid $0.95 because I had a coupon for $1/gallon off.

Its nice to see low gas prices, but on the other end as I live in a town heavily dependent on oil & natural gas production & drilling, well we'd really like to see oil per barrel rise a lot more. People are getting laid off like crazy here.

Shelsmiles

Post by Shelsmiles »

I just paid $1.29 a gallon to fill up my truck. With oil prices as low as they are and the coal prices what they are, businesses are closing up. The owners of the largest and most stable coal mines in the USA declared Bankruptcy and have just published that along with the additional layoffs they are going to sell assets at auction. Oil and gas companies along with service and support companies all closing down or close to it. No jobs there means no money to spend at any other business either, so no jobs anywhere else around these communities.

I'm all for reasonable prices, but the war on coal and the total devastation of the oil and gas industry are horrible. It has had devastating effects on my family, my friends and on many people in this country. Unfortunately it is going to have some long term effects on this country's economy too, if we don't get some
Kind of meaningful energy policy in place. Now they are proposing an additional tax on oil. Kick them while they are down?

colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl »

bad times in the coal industry. But I have to disagree with the bancruptcy statement if you are referring to Arch Coal company. They got in financial trouble through bad investment. When they purchased Intl. Coal Group and saddled themselves with 5 billion in debt, they set themselves up to be taken down by a volatile market. Dumb, dumb move overextending themselves like that. Of course the why is of little interest to the families affected.

I know the future is stacked against coal but I have to wonder, what are they going to replace it with? Solar and wind are not viable yet to handle the large need for power in the US and nuclear has problems that are as environmentally severe as those associated with coal, so what is the option to replace it?

We are a family that made our living in the coal industry for the last 40 years, but I do want to see an earth that is not too warm to function or with air too polluted to breathe. If that means getting rid of fossil fuels, then ok. But what are we going to replace it with?

LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

Well, this is odd... The station across the street was $1.35 this morning. Now it's $1.52

gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

Very strange LWolfT.

Last night when I was posting on this thread, I checked price of oil per barrel, it had closed at $27.91. This morning it opened at $28.04... that small of an increase shouldn't have caused your neighborhood gas prices to rise that much.

frugalmom

Post by frugalmom »

Still 2.45 out here per gallon. I went into a nicer,more affluent area and they had it at 2.13/gallon-go figure as I thought those places would be more expensive. California is high bc we have all of these added taxes and environmental fees-sheesh-give us a break!