Daily Check-in Feb 12, 2016

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
gaylejackson2

Daily Check-in Feb 12, 2016

Post by gaylejackson2 »

Yep, I'm up late again. I just noticed what a lot of spam we have on here tonight, lots of Russian-looking links on 2 of the posts.

My fire won't stay burning very well, i wonder if we've got an inversion trying to set in. If so :( I dislike inversions, they keep the skies gray and cloudy.

Just been checking email while waiting on the fire, I found the sales circular for my fave grocery store -- this week good deals are milk $1.85/gallon (lol, good thing I stocked up on the $1.95/gallon milk), clementines $3.88/bag, and a whole bunch of "buy 6 and save $3" convenience items that I don't use. Plus Valentine's flowers I won't get, valentine candy I can't/wouldn't eat, and highly-priced "plushies" stuffed animals. Oh there's other good deals in there, but 90% isn't anything I'd buy or use.

DD3 (formerly known as Baby E) is hanging on beside me on the couch, I'd have thought she'd fallen asleep long ago as did Dd5. Nope, she's a stubborn one.

I've put 3 quarts of homemade Kefir out to drain, I hope to gain 3-4 cups of delicious Kefir cheese and 2 quarts of Kefir whey (great for making bread and baking powder biscuits with). I use/make Kefir because a) I like the flavor, b) because it helps with regularity, and c) because of the probiotics in it.

Between this sentence and the 2 above, DD3 (E) has fallen asleep. Thank goodness for small favors.

I'm going to peek in at MTurk.com to see if my account has been credited yet (I've decided to earn some Christmas/birthday presents this way for 2016), then I'm off to bed as soon as I shut down the fire.

=) Gayle
mbrudnic

Re: Daily Check-in Feb 12, 2016

Post by mbrudnic »

Hello Gayle,
Those babies can be stubborn to get to sleep.

Hi Frugal Friends,
I am moving slowly this morning. I am dressed in workout clothing. I have been tracking my calories in the FitBit app. What a difference awareness makes. The scale is moving. Yay!

DS1 called me yesterday from the ER. He has been mildly sick for a week and was getting chills. His wife insisted on the ER. They decided he has a virus and was dehydrated. He was feeling a little better last night. Still had a headache. DGS survive the night without a pacifier and DS did not run out to get a new one.

DS2 is off for a 4-day weekend. He has been given marching orders to clean his room and have his sheets int he wash by Noon. Tonight he will play at the last home basketball game and bring home the Marimba to practice for next weekend's Percussion festival at Ohio State. He was nominated to be a member of the Honor band.

Have a wonderful day!
Maggie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites

Actually not that much spam, just two topics that we found. Some mornings are much, much worse. And Erin's hubby took care of that early this morning.

Very cold here today, our temperatures dropped drastically and we are down to -20 C with the wind making it feel like -33 C. Brrrrr.

I am feeling so much better this morning. I am ready to go and get lots completed today. Hopefully I can do a bit of baking today, I did not get my cake made yesterday and I would like to make some sugar cookies today.

We got our electric bill (estimate) for this month and I should not have been bragging so much about keeping our usage down. When I read the kilowatt hours they said we used Hubby went out to read the meter. Horror or horrors we have actually used more than they are charging us for!!! I reinforced turning down the heat in rooms we leave, turning off the heat in rooms we don't, and making sure all lights are off when we leave a room. I really need to get a handle on this little problem. Well really if we had a new furnace and duct work going into the back of the house things would be a bit different.

Today youngest DS is supposed to come home. Tomorrow is forecast to be fairly nice so pretty sure the men will be off ice fishing for a few hours. I can probably get a bit of extra work done. I really want to do a bit more organizing in my sewing/craft room. Perhaps get the next series of patterns and fabric chosen for my next sewing projects.

Frugal happenings around here today will be using the treadmill instead of heading out for my walk, using up as many leftovers as possible for lunch today, finishing off the coat, darning a few of my socks this time, and whatever else I can think to do.

Supper tonight was supposed to be fish fillets, but since we used up the leftover chicken from Wednesday we will have the spaghetti and meat sauce tonight. I will make a plate up for youngest DS and there still should be enough left for lunch for a couple of days.

Today I am grateful that I don't have to go out into the cold, cold, winter weather.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Vaeagen

Post by Vaeagen »

Good morning all,
Posted my instructions for the fabric envelopes I sew. I did a bad job at getting the photos in but I think you still get the idea. Hope Gayle and the rest of you enjoy it.

Today, I am looking forward to going to a "free sew" at a local, non-chain fabric store. I need some advice on some of the things I am working on. I have gotten as far as I can with my knowledge so need to get some advice from more seasoned sewers.
After that I will be going out tonight to our local eatery. Ds wants to go and also wants to get my dmil and dfil out. Dmil needs to go out and gets some mental stimulation while she still can. Her mental status is declining fast (she was diagnosed w/Alzheimer's about 16 months ago). So some spending there but I'm sure it will be spread between ds, dh and dinlaws.

Stay warm everyone!

Valerie
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

Good morning, everyone.

Preparing for the super cold weather that's coming in the next few days but not sure if this is possible . . . LOL. The one thing I can say is that at least it's not supposed to storm until Monday night into Tuesday when it's suppose to warm up to 40s.

Have been shredding and shredding paper that should have been done a long time ago. Had to go and buy another shredder however, because the other one burned out from the volume. :(

Not much going on; will be going to visit my Mom as I usually do and then come home and do laundry. The only thing bad about that is that I have to go outdoors for our laundry room . . . brrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Have a great day all.
Jens_Cats

Post by Jens_Cats »

Good morning, gang.

Dogs just went out for the 2nd time, and today's laundry is in the dryer. Non-dryer pieces are hanging outside and are frozen solid. LOL! They will probably be dry by this evening, and if not, I'll just hang them inside on the porch.

I need to go and get my bath. The day is getting away from me, and we have to leave by 1:00. Oy! Still need to feed the cats, which is NOT a quick process. They all eat canned food!

Today is the Memorial, and then the family is going out to a local tavern. I'm not sure what the payment situation is. My step brother may be paying it out of Mom's estate. I'll find out, and if it's self-pay, then we just won't be able to go. I've payed my mortgages on the MD house and my bills for the week, and after the Goodwill trip, I have very little money left. My paycheck from Client #1 should arrive today or tomorrow, and at least I can do mobile deposits, but I don't have enough money TODAY to go out.

One of my very best friends, F, is coming to the memorial, which I really appreciate. I told him he is welcome to stay over tonight, if he wants. (Heck, we have FOUR extra bedrooms, so why not?!) I'm hoping he will, because the three of us always have fun hanging out, but he has a life, too, so...

Off to get my bath. While the water's running, I'll work on cleaning up the master bedroom. It's now partially my art studio (it's a REALLY big room!) and I have not fully unpacked yet, mainly due to a shortage of storage space. That'll be fixed soon. The other day, I managed to empty a box, maybe I can empty another today!

Everyone have a great day! The memorial is inside, but there's a graveside service immediately following, so I'm sure I'm going to freeze all of my bits off. LOL!

Jen M, WV
Sage Alley: My green/simple living blog:
http://sagealley.blogspot.com