Hitting A Wall Budgetwise

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
alliesmama4

Re: Hitting A Wall Budgetwise

Post by alliesmama4 »

Becky thanks for the vit D tip..I am extremely low on Vit D since I was diagnosed with lupus when I was 19 and told to avoid the sun.Fast forward many year until I turned 55 and they said oops not lupus..That was when I was diagnosed with ALS.. My cousin said that for 30 years her Dr also had given her the false diagnosis of lupus. My ALS is inherited and when you hit 55 it presents itself more fully. I am still cautious about sun since I crisp very easily. Having gotten a 1st degree burn being outside for only 15 min in Florida with sunscreen on. Also when in Hawaii got a burn just walking 2 blocks on the street from one place to another. The hotel Dr in Florida told me to not go out until the sun goes down. Great go to Florida and wait for the sun to go down..lol. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama

ChopinLover

Post by ChopinLover »

I wanted to mention that NOT using paper filters in your coffee will RAISE your cholesterol levels a lot. Several yrs ago my cholesterol levels were borderline too high. I got online and found a Swedish study that showed paper filters take out the cholesterol in brewed coffee. I made that change, and dropped my numbers by 40 pts in 6 months. I don't think this is commonly known. I refuse to stop drinking coffee, but I did make it safer! I had already been doing things in my diet, and it was the coffee filters that made the difference for me. I buy in bulk at either Walmart, BIglots, or Winco.

snowangel729

Post by snowangel729 »

Thanks Ladies!

I had no idea I was technically thrifty. I don't spend a whole lot on groceries for us and we eat pretty decently. I also have started working on bing to help eliminate hulu bills. I started shopping more yard sales and have found some amazing deals on baby stuff for my little one. I also have been hitting more curb alerts to pick up stuff like furniture so hubby and I don't need to buy it.

BeckyO

Post by BeckyO »

Janet, some foods are vit D enriched.

Chopinlover, I use instant decaf coffee for my usual one or two cups per day. Sid that study mentiopn those?

Snowangel, good for you. All solutions have to be tailored to fit the person involved.

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Becky thanks for the advise on Vit D. I do try to eat foods with Vit D and my Dr has upped the dosage on my vit D..need to get it tested this coming week.. I do try to get some sun exposure but also have to be careful. Like I use my moon roof when driving but do not over do it when the sun is strong. I do go out sometimes before 10:00 AM and 4:00 PM when the sun is not too strong but as I said I have to be careful. My husband did cook calf beef liver and onions when he was here. that is suppose to be good for vit D. I might try that again. Never been big on beef liver but he made it so yummy.. Will have to try it soon. Janet Alliesmama

Kinda sad moment.. remembered Allie loved chicken liver. When she was not feeling well or was bad about taking her medication hidden in other foods I used to buy her chicken livers from Lee's and she would gobble down her pills and perk up..Miss that little doggy.
Janet Alliesmama

blondeinbuffalo

Post by blondeinbuffalo »

I miss allie too! never met the little cutie but she had personality plus as you described her and her life.

I hit a mini wall this month. too many bills and just barely income to cover. after all the bills are paid on friday I will have $17 left in my checking. this is the tightest I can remember! I refuse to take money out of savings so dh will have to do the grocery shopping till my next check. the refrig, pantry and freezer is full so we will not starve. no take out for me until 4/8! cj