How long were you with frugal living?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
ohjodi

Re: How long were you with frugal living?

Post by ohjodi » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:46 pm

I was just thinking about this the other day, wondering how long members here have been around.

I found About.com's Frugal Living in late'98 or early '99. TWENTY years ago! About.com had just changed the name from The Mining Company. About.com was so fantastic, back then, with sites and forums about every topic you can imagine.

Frugal Living had a good moderator, Pat, and it was a great place to hang out, until.......until........THE EPIC SMASH-UP OF 2001! If we were Real Life I think there would have been an actual smack-down. Pat actually gagged me and I couldn't post! She had made me an assistant a couple months before, but she took that away, too, lol

I don't recall how long after that Erin took over.

The chaos was because of Sept 11 comments.....it was shocking to me how otherwise nice and generous people were vile and bigoted, underneath.

Several members left and started their own forum. I lurked in there a few times, and many of the members were just bad-mouthing the ones who hadn't joined.....not about 9/11 but about their lifestyles, relationships, children, etc. Such ugly people.

But we survived! I should have gotten a t-shirt!
ohjodi

nbeaver

Post by nbeaver » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:04 pm

I was around for the very end of the Mining Company and I remember the big smash, though I didn't post much (still don't) and wasn't really involved in it.

colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:14 pm

Yeah Jodi -
Those were wild and crazy times on the old forum. Firstly, the epic battles - I remember the Great Rice Cooker war more than the 911. I could not believe people were staking claims about the frugality of using a rice cooker. Then we also had the crazys like the lady who (among other tales) told about her day being ruined because she was in a car wreck and a dismembered arm came flying through the air and landed on her windshield. I remember Pat had her favorites & God forbid you disagree with one of them. We are smaller now but the difference in how the forum is run is the size of the sahara - much better now.

delighted99

Post by delighted99 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:01 pm

Since 2004
icfrugal1 wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:23 pm
I was with frugal living since Dec 29 2003, a long time, I can't tell you how much frugal forum has helped me over the years, thank you for continuing with the group.

IC

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:53 pm

Not really sure but sort of gage it according to Jusmom. He was around 15 when I started to realize who everyone was and now I think he is 30 and married. Wow where does the time go? So around 2004 I think. Have loved the love and support and information everyone has given each other over the years. Also you are like family to me.

Edited to add: It must have been longer since I do remember Pat being the moderator and then when she was locked out..
Janet Alliesmama

ohjodi

Post by ohjodi » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:05 pm

alliesmama4 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:53 pm
Not really sure but sort of gage it according to Jusmom. He was around 15 when I started to realize who everyone was and now I think he is 30 and married. Wow where does the time go? So around 2004 I think. Have loved the love and support and information everyone has given each other over the years. Also you are like family to me.

Edited to add: It must have been longer since I do remember Pat being the moderator and then when she was locked out..

Pat was actually locked out of Frugal Living?! I didn't know that!
ohjodi