Living Simply

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

Living Simply

Post by Jackielou »

I have been reading lots of blog posts on people turning back to the simple life.

Are you living a simpler life now than before?

How did you simplify your life?

I know I find it harder in this day and age to live a simple life. Slowly but surely I am cutting back on things that just are not important to me. Trying to whittle down the wardrobe, and just relax more. I don't know if I will ever have a truly simple life, but i am working towards simplifying it.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
icfrugal1

Re: Living Simply

Post by icfrugal1 »

I don't think that I am living a simple life, but DH and I are retired, so we just do what we want around the house.

we have a nice back yard with a pool, but we don't grow anything even though there is room for it. DH used to grow tomatoes, yum, but with his bad health he can't anymore.

we do eat out a lot, not frugal, but we don't travel or have any debt, and it is in the spending plan.

I am trying to get rid of stuff just so that we get down to stuff that we love, plus it will make it better for cleaning.

Not really an answer, but I will do some thinking on it.

IC
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Yes, that is what I want.

I guess my life is pretty simple if compared to others.

Its just me and the "kids".

I have a routine. I don't buy a lot of stuff. Do go out to eat a lot, but that is my vice.

My goal is to be able to know/list everything I own/have.

I was at Wal-Mart today (invited along) and I over heard a couple of ladies talking about their freezers. One had five!!! She said she should clean them out and get rid of them,

What was crazy was that we were in the freezer section!
dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa »

Yes, definitely. Besides work, I just do a few activities I really care about. Manage to work, live, play all in proximity so I don't spend a lot of time driving around. I don't watch TV, don't have gadgets (iphone, ipad, fancy coffee maker, etc.), don't follow sports, don't try to keep up with fads, or stay informed of every minute of everyone else's life or opinions. Very relaxing to just do what I want most of the time.
frugalmom

Post by frugalmom »

I am trying to strive for the simple life because it is appealing to me. I have a book called Breaking Busy and one on slow family living and one guy at our tournament started laughing saying you have 5 kids,two in traveling tournaments,etc-that is far from a simple life! AND I have been so busy, I have not gotten past two chapters of that book (took me a whole month to finish one chapter!).

I am still trying to figure it out but I guess it is an oxymoron when you have 5 kids,and they have activities,etc-like you can't change the kids you already have! Like I have two tournaments a couple of weekends froom now and I am juggling bc one is far and we will be going to that but my younger son has one here so my older daughter is staying with him and taking care of him(even taking a day off from work) and will even plan a sister brother day where she is going to treat him to see Jungle Book! So thank goodness for her!
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

clemencia2us wrote: My goal is to be able to know/list everything I own/have.
That's a great idea! I've got too much stuff. Years ago I got rid of almost everything to move to Pittsburgh. Then came back to Illinois in 2013 with even less, just a car load.

I got an apartment and had some money, so I bought stuff. It went way beyond the necessary, though LOL I'm going to start by just filling a bag here or there and putting it in my trunk, then when I have several I'll take it to one of the thrift stores (where I probably bought it all in the first place, LOL)

Some things that I want to keep but do not use often I will put in a medium-sized closet in the hall. Mainly kitchen things like bakeware or extra dishes. For some reason I always feel like I need to be able to cook and serve to 40 people at the drop of a hat! I want it out of my kitchen so it feels more "minimalist" and organized. I have a big kitchen with lots of cabinets, but I decided I don't want to use the ones that are hard to reach, to high or too low. I'm tall, but the top shelves are hard to reach, so why bother with them.
ohjodi