Five Frugal Things You Did This Week

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
LWolfT

Re: Five Frugal Things You Did This Week

Post by LWolfT »

MackerelCat wrote:CVS had a good sale on their own brand this week, but I looked at it closely and the label says Made in China, so I did not buy a test package. Even if it's just tushie wipe, I want to keep American workers working.
You persuaded me to go check out my stash. Can't find a country of origin on the Wags TP, though my Angel Soft says it was made by Georgia-Pacific. Did note that my Kirkland tissues (from Costco) say they're made in the U.S.
dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa »

The thing that surprises me about the TP is that it's a low-value bulky item that does not make sense to ship over long distance. Books are compact and high-value for the weight so they make more sense.

My frugal things for this week:
1. sewed another night gown from stash fabric. Previously thought 3 was plenty but last week they were all in the wash (I don't wash on a set schedule). So gown #4 now in the closet.
2. Baked bread, zucchini bread, spoon bread and cookies from a mix.
3. Grocery spending under $20 - just needed a few items.
4. Froze more garden produce - freezer is jammed!
5. Completed enough surveys to request a $10 CVS e-gift card.
6. Received shampoo and conditioner samples in the mail. Consolidated survey shampoo & conditioner to get rid of empty bottles.
7. Drove to Safeway to get cheapest gasoline. A few extra miles but not bad. I ran in the store to buy a few groceries while there.
11cats2beagles

Post by 11cats2beagles »

1. Camping (locally) most of last week with one day out to go to an amusement park which was...

2. pre-paid using a special deal we got at 40% discount. Packed our own food and drinks and enjoyed a picnic lunch.

3. S.O. has been setting air conditioner to turn off about 2 hours after we go to bed. When he works the night shift I don't run it at all.

4. The great garage purge continues and I have found over $4 in change, a K-Mart gift card with $1.39 on it, more old keys (I save and turn into wind chimes) and a box of cleaning supplies (belonging to either previous owners, S.O. or his mum, I don't know who) containing Windex Multi Surface, Comet, Murphy's Oil Soap, Febreeze, car interior cleaner and more! Can use!!

5. Bills are paid and I need nothing. Most of extra $$ (which wasn't a lot but I'm thankful for enough to go around and then some) rolled over into "spare account" (checking account at another bank that I really use as a savings account because it pays a higher interest rate).

6.Got free shampoo and conditioner (full size) in the mail - as a project for a product test panel I'm on. Got $3 bonus from MTurk for a survey.
chocolite

Post by chocolite »

Hi Mackie!

So...5 frugal things I did are:

1. Took my lunch every day to work.

2. Did no extra driving M-F of this week, just to work and home. On Friday morning I did stop at Kroger (on my way) to get gas. Which leads me to #3...

3. Filled up with gas using fuel points from Kroger (saved me $.50/gallon) - cost me $1.68/gallon.

4. Did a lot of walking (free exercise and a healthy choice, which hopefully will result in spending less money on health-related problems) during breaks and lunch hours at work.

5. Found a new source for my essential oils at a greatly reduced cost.
Patty
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

I'm going to have to double down on the frugal stuff ... September is normally an expensive month, but this one could be downright brutal.

Anyway:

Used my rain check and some coupons from our regional supermarket to pick up some good deals. ($14 instead of $47 for a 'pack' of assorted pork cuts, plus $1.29 for a gallon of milk!)

Scored some good freebies ... got coffee samples that will last us a few days and a loaf of bread. Also picked up a catalina that someone left at the checkout ... for a free package of tissues.

Gave myself a haircut (and got it even in back :D )

More mending to put socks back in circulation ... though a few of DH's work socks are going to hit the rag bag next time around.

DH shopped around and found a good price to replace the side mirror on his car. (One of the local parts stores wanted $100! Bah!) He was going to DIY, but couldn't do it ... took it to the garage we use, and they put it on for $20!
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Your frugal kung-fu is working great! I especially like those savings on the pork. I about swooned the last time I priced pork, and it's the less expensive meat now.

1. Went through the crisper drawers in the fridge washed/peeled/chopped various things so that they’re easy to eat or went into the freezer for future consumption.
2. Made a pot of potato soup and used the immersion blender to make it creamy. Had the soup for lunch with some homemade tea and a slice of homemade rye bread. So good!
3. DH and DS repaired the back porch today. It’s a temporary fix until we can afford a real carpenter.
4. Bought DH a pair of dress shoes on sale (he needs them for job interviews) and also got to use my shopper’s reward points, so we ultimately saved 25 percent on the price.
5. Stopped by the Salvation Army and bought two beautiful silk ties (also for the job hunt) for $4. Carefully hand-washed them and hung them on the drying rack with the fan blowing on them. They look brand-new now.
And a bonus 6: I used the "shop at home" approach the last few days and have swapped out and moved around furniture and paintings. I really love our den now, and we didn't spend a dime redecorating.
Mackie