Five Frugal Things You Did This Week

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Dgflorida

Re: Five Frugal Things You Did This Week

Post by Dgflorida »

"DG, that's exactly why old Southern homes had a summer kitchen. You're just reviving a sensible tradition."

That is right MackerelCat. I was making morning coffee on the porch too, but a big wind came through and knocked the empty coffee pot off the table and broke the glass. I had saved old ones, so it was easy to replace. I had said to myself that morning, I need to put the windows up on this corner because of the wind, but I didn't have time at that moment. :(

But I do hope to get everything back out on the porch this summer. It is fun to cook outside.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Here is my 5 frugal things for the week.

1) got eggs for 75c a dozen. Half normal price here.
2) increased the day house temperature to 82F from 80F. Theoretically, saved 5% on my ac electric.
3) bought landscape timbers on sale.
4) figured out new ways to use less water
5) raised the night time house temperature to 84F from 82F. Saved a bit on ac electricity
dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa »

1) Accepted new job! Better benefits!
2) Used $10 coupon at Home Depot
3) My own labor for yard project
4) Used supplies on hand for gardening project (blood meal, plastic netting)
5) All meals at/from home
6) Completed a survey, they promised $5 reward
2dogs+someCats

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

1. Was very frugal with food this week while still eating well. Just decided I was not going to grocery shop. I surprised myself by what I was able to create from what was on hand.

2. Put off washing clothes until I had one big load. Did that in cold water and hung everything up to dry.

3. Caught up with mypoints, online surveys, etc.

4. Accepted my parents' offer to haul away my garbage with theirs. The landfill has a $15 minimum charge and if your load isn't over 600 lbs. you pay just the $15. So my dad figured (correctly) - why should we BOTH pay $15? My parents insisted on "treating" - and I graciously accepted.

5. Walked to work on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday.
Shelsmiles

Post by Shelsmiles »

1. Harvested lettuce, pea, kale and herbs from my garden

2.Planted more melon plants and squash

3. Kept temp at 75 rather than the 70 DH prefers

4. Got rid of several animals I've been feeding that are not going to benefit us - goats a couple sows, etc

5. Made tea at home as opposed to letting DH buy bottled at the store
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

1. Gave our smaller longhaired dachshund girl a summer trim myself. Her bigger sister got her summer trim last weekend. They stay clean longer when they're not dragging their long feathers in the wet grass.
2. Used up some delicious odds and ends (sweet potato, sweet onion, frozen bell pepper, turkey bacon) to add to the lentils and brown rice dish cooked for my lunches this coming week.
3. Because I love a hot breakfast and am not coherent enough to cook one every morning from scratch, I made up a pot of "porridge" -- a mix of quiona, oat bran, ground flaxseed and chopped walnuts -- that I will spoon out and reheat in the microwave. A splash of almond milk, some frozen blueberries and a drizzle of honey, and it's delish.
4. Have been buying gas at the Walmart gas station with a Walmart gift card. This saves 3 cents a gallon and we avoid the rash of credit card skimmers on gas pumps around here.
5. Rather than to buy string cheese to use as a snack, I cut a half pound block of Swiss cheese into 16 equal sticks and saved $1.29. I like Swiss better anyhow, so it's win-win. These can be wrapped in a twist of wax paper for portability, so no more plastic is added to the environment.
Mackie