Five Frugal Things You Did This Week

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
MackerelCat

Re: Five Frugal Things You Did This Week

Post by MackerelCat »

We've had the air conditioning off for eight of the last ten days. DH said that knocked $35 off the electric bill.

Other frugal things:
1. Used $6.25 in coupons on today's shopping trip. They were mostly store coupons for "real food," such as beef, peanut butter, produce, and I had a $2 coupon for the kitties' favorite dry kibble.
2. Received a $1.50 off your next order coupon for buying store brands.
3. Found a quarter in the washer. I never leave money in my pockets, so it must have belonged to my guys. Mine now. :-D
4. Cleaned the house with a stack of cleaning rags, ran them through the washer and hung them on the drying rack to dry.
5. Used a homemade solution of greatly diluted 409 cleaner in the tank of our Libman Freedom spray mop to clean the laundry room. (A Freedom mop has washable cleaning pads and you can use your own cleaning solution.) The 409 was bought on sale with coupons.
Last edited by MackerelCat on Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mackie

snowangel729

Post by snowangel729 »

1. Did Surveys to earn extra money.
2. Stayed home most of the weekend to cut down on spending
3. Cooked homecooked meals.
4. Cleaned my floors with water, a tiny bit of pinesol, some vinegar, and a dash of palmolive.
5. DH and I watched tv online using netflix.

Shelsmiles

Post by Shelsmiles »

1. Comparison shopped and found coupons before ordering berry bushes which will provide my family with wonderful food for years to come :)
2. Harvested and dried many herbs for use this year. Chamomile, stevia, mint, basil, tarragon, Thai basil, oregano, thyme, etc.
3. Cooked and ate all meals but one from home
4. Organized, inventories and cleaned out pantry
5. Packed kids lunches
6. Bartered and had a friend take senior pics of DS, freshman photos of DD and some of them together.

MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

That is really impressive, Shel, especially bartering for the photos. You'll get better, more personal shots that way.

Here's my five:

1. Our local grocery store has been running a promotion where if you buy X amount of store brands, you get a high-value store coupon — it’s averaging $3-$4 so far — to use on anything during your next visit. I’ve been combining those with some manufacturer’s coupons to stock up on our kitties’ favorite dry cat food at way less than half price.
2. Also used a $5 off $25 dollar store coupon to stock up on toilet paper, laundry detergent, canned cat food, and knock-off V8 juice for making vegetable soup.
3. Had to return a defective item to Amazon, and used some of my stash of second-hand padded envelopes to mail it.
4. Mended a pair of my husband’s underwear for him.
5. A bottle of cheap window cleaner wasn't doing a good job on my eyeglasses until I added a little rubbing alcohol to the spray bottle. Now it wipes clean and dries fast.
Mackie

dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa »

Ugh, a bad week since we were on vacation and terrible weather. At least we did not spend much since we were stuck inside.
1. read books for entertainment
2. knitted with yarn on hand
3. cross-stitched some hand towels from stash, for use at home
4. more vegetables from garden processed for eating/freezing
5. clipped coupons and organized grocery list using sale ad

snowangel729

Post by snowangel729 »

Here is my Five :

1. Ordered Crib Mattress using my amazon giftcard so I got it for free :)

2. Got a Free Welcome Student Box for having Amazon Student Prime

3. Ate Leftovers to cut down on cooking and food costs

4. Played Game Night with DH so we spent time together without spending too much money. DH bought his monthly gaming subscription using in game money so he could play for a month for free.

5. Worked with some yarn that I got for free, working on my crochet hat project