Daily Check In May 11th

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
rinty

Daily Check In May 11th

Post by rinty »

Morning Frugals,

Its late morning, a load of washing is whirring away as is the dishwasher.......so I can pretend to be on top of all the housework ; )

Bad night with DH as he is poorly, so he is on light duties and been told to Sit Down.

Today I am working through a To Do list which I haven't needed to do in a while but theres lots of irritating stuff that been sidelined and TODAY is the day it all gets done.

I will NOT get sidetracked into baking/shopping/messing around, I'll get stuff done so I can get into bed at the end of the day knowing NOTHING is outstanding.

I will NOT obsess over work. I chose to stay in the job and turn down a challenge so this is my life for a period. We are so lucky that we are not dependant on it as income and I should count my blessings. ( I was not paid properly this month which I was angry about.....yes, they corrected it but I had to beg, go to the next level up the chain, then the next level above that..... mentally the FRUSTRATION really got to me ) You work, you get paid, no ? And apparently , NO for the Low Paid cos they can put us down............you really see how the other half live. Anyway, if I'm staying I need to Let It Go.

Healthwise waiting on the hospital re my tooth pain ( which I am warned will take forever..back in the day we had private health care, but with DH retired its NHS all the way. It is part of the reason for my low mood, its very debilitating. I was in tears , rocking with the pain last Friday.

No paperwork or bills to pay. Nothing needed. Just stuff to do. And keep fluids in DH ; )

I also need to eat "proper" food and enough of it as that's also sapping my energy.

Honestly I should also cancel this weeks guests as realistically we will be No Fun :? to be around.

Finally I need to sort out a good hairdresser and find a replacement beautician. I need electrolysis monthly and my lady has just retired (nooooooooo !) My hair hasn't been coloured since November and its awful, all these patches of grey I never knew I had, but my sensitive skin means I can't home colour........everything I test flares up bright red and scaly so NO WAY can I use it on my scalp.

Anyway, blessings to all for the day ahead.

The washing should be ready to hang.
blondeinbuffalo

Re: Daily Check In May 11th

Post by blondeinbuffalo »

Good morning Rinty and everyone!

Rinty, I know what you mean about finding a new hair stylist. once you find a really good one, they move or quit or something!

going to have to get gas today before work, did not have time on the way last night. busy day at work but that is ok as the time flies then. did not eat my lunch yesterday so I will pack it for today, nice and easy!

cj
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

Good Morning folks,

Hubby is doing well. They gave him a raise and his boss and an HR guy spent time with him making sure he was satisfied. Had a nice dinner with MIL. She said it was nice to be able to relax Sunday.

I invented a project for my self at my job. It will keep my busy for a long time and is not really time sensitive. That is great since the other part of my job is more troubleshooting when issues come up.

I expect a quiet day today. Work at home, not evening plans. IF the rain lets up, I have flowers to pot for Saturday's party. I also need to figure out what I will wear.

Have a great day,
Maggie
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Good morning frugals,

The workers are done, paid and gone. The enlarged doorway to the bathroom is excellent. Hubs can easily get to the bathroom necessities with his walker. It is astoundingly convenient. I also love my kitchen LED light. Finally, I can actually see what I am doing in the kitchen. Next disruption will be the flooring. It looks like we will take the only serious estimate we have gotten. Another company measured, but never gave us an estimate and I have called them 3 times requesting it. This suggests a poorly run business. A couple of handymen offered their services, but actually didn't seem to understand what was involved in the process. I am not interested in them learning on my dime.

Well, today I am just enjoying a more normal day. I also decided that I didn't like the box store options on windows. So for the time being, I will keep the ones I have. The lawn guy mows and trims today and dance class for me this afternoon. Yesterday, I got some more free cardboard to use as weed barriers under my mulch. Work on that over the next few days. I also got 2 large empty cake frosting buckets that will make wonderful planters. I got a lovely penta for $1 on the discount rack. There were several more, but I only had one pot at the time.

The weather is excellent here in Florida right now. Hubs no longer handles cool air, so warm Florida is perfect for him. The house is kept warm, 81F is when the A/C kicks on. At night, actually early morning, I open the house and use fans to draw in cool air. House temperature drops to a pleasant 78F. Most of the windows are covered in clear plastic. They provide light, but not as much heat transfer. The towering oak trees shading the house help reduce costs as well.

Well, off to have breakfast and start a load of laundry(does out on the clothes line for drying). I moved the clothes line under the porch awning last year. During the summer, there are pop up showers in the late afternoon and under the awning, the clothes don't get wet. Happy frugal day all.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites

Way cooler today, I am so glad we did not plant the flowers or vegetable bedding plants when it was so warm last week. Lots of people did and now they are all worried that things will freeze (by the stretch between Thurs and Fri nights we will be well below freezing once again). We brought things in last night after supper and if the weather warms up a bit will put them all out for a bit today.

Like Rinty, I have my to do list and will be working my way through it. Really it isn't long at all and i should once again be finished in time to have a lovely afternoon knitting and watching Game of Thrones episodes. Almost done the 4th season, only 2 more seasons to catch up with. I think I will try Reign as my next series marathon, I have missed so many episodes this past two seasons that things just are not making any sense.

Frugality wise this should and will be another no spend day. I am beginning to love stringing those together and having a plan for what I hope is only one spend day a week (this time of year I sometimes have 2 days of spending a couple of weeks) keeps me totally in line. Then again having spring cleaning to do keeps me busy and away from the stores.

Lots of leftovers in the fridge, problem is that we are not eating those bits and bobs for our lunches. Today I plan on finishing the pizza youngest DS brought home with him (he ate it on the way home on Friday, except for 1 piece). Hopefully Hubby will eat the leftover sausage. Then of course there is the leftover soup, though I am thinking that now it is cooled I could freeze it for another day (really lots left over).

Supper tonight is going to be the baked ham. Turns out there is no leftover ham....so I may as well make my last ham and do my usual storage routine with it. Keeps me in line with the menu plans as well.

Today I am grateful for the nice warm blanket wrapped around my shoulders.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Grannysewstoys

Post by Grannysewstoys »

We had a thunderstorm over night. I only got about half an inch of rain at my apartment. My daughter had much heavier rain. She told me this morning she was able to hear it at her house. Usually she can’t hear rain because of her hearing loss.

13 years ago on Mother’s day my youngest was killed in an auto accident. This year it wasn’t on Mother’s day. But this morning, my daughter took me out to breakfast at McDonalds. Then to H-E-B I didn’t need anything so buy much. I did buy myself some flowers. I just bought a bunch of mini carnations. I got a shrimp pesto spiral pasta dinner. I will bake it for lunch.

She left for work, now I just am planing a quiet day.

Penny