Daily Check In Sept. 10, 2015

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

Daily Check In Sept. 10, 2015

Post by Jackielou » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:02 am

Good morning fellow frugalites

Off to get some coffee, but thought I would start us off first. Back in a minute or two.

Jackie

Jackielou

Re: Daily Check In Sept. 10, 2015

Post by Jackielou » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:15 am

Good morning fellow frugalites

Quick check in here, I need to get started getting things ready for our trip starting with a bit of laundry and a general tidy up of the house. Hopefully getting that done before my trip to the dentist for a cleaning.

After the dental trip, I plan on heading to the bank to pay bills, pick up some over the counter meds, and some cash for our little get away. The place we are going has no phones, no telephones, and is quite a distance into the mountains. I was concerned that they might not have WIFI (remember no phones), but was quite happy to see that they do. Not sure if I have to travel up to the lodge to use it, but I am hoping the cabins are equipped with it.

Packing, clearing out the fridge (I hate to see food wasted so we have tried our darndest to use things up, and getting keys to my friend who has said she will look after our cat and garden will take up the rest of the day.

Hubby plans on picking potatoes, onions and some peppers to take with us. Some will be left with our oldest DS, but we will take a few for our meals with us.

Supper tonight will be leftovers (using up as much as humanly possible).

Today I am grateful that we did not get the frost that was predicted.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.

Jackie

dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:29 am

Have a good trip Jackie. I'm hoping for more rain than the little bit we got last night. At least it is cooler today. I guess I don't really need to water the garden more since most of the vegs are done. I still have squash coming and must wait to the end of the month to check sweet potatoes (fingers crossed there.)

Tonight I will make red clam sauce and linguini, using up a lot of cherry tomatoes. I picked another 1/2 lb yesterday. Green beans as a side dish. DH bought garlic bread in anticipation of this! :lol: I have zucchini and yellow squash to use, thinking of that Andouille sausage and squash stew this weekend. Safeway gave me $5 off $50 coupon so I will probably use that this weekend.

itspennyc

Post by itspennyc » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:29 am

Today AT&T is supposed to come and replace my modem, or what ever it is. I am so tired of the problems with my connection.

Yesterday’s I went to the housing office to update my eligibility for a housing voucher for next year, for me December to next November. I don’t know what my rent will be, as I had so many medical bills she couldn’t give me an estimate.

As usual I waited 40 minutes after my pickup time for them to come pick me up.

I decided the blimp I was knitting looks more like a bomb then a blimp, it is much to fat. I am going to try turning it into a helicopter. I don’t know for sure if it will work or not.

Penny

MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:53 am

Good morning, frugal friends. I have had a house guest along with computer problems, so yesterday was rather busy.

I did the free upgrade to Windows 10, which worked fine for a few days, and then got a terminal error and couldn't access the start menu, which meant my laptop was dead. It turns out this is a common problem. The work-around I found got it working as it should, but that blew away all the apps and my browser bookmarks. Since I don't have $139 to buy a new copy of MS Office, I'm using Open Office and some other free apps. It's all still making steam come out my ears.

Anyhow, I hope today will be a lovely, frugal day for everyone, including myself. :-D
Mackie

AnneX

Post by AnneX » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:15 pm

good afternoon

I was about to phone my quilting friend this morning to invite her to have coffee on my balcony, But i went to flush the toilet and the chain had broken. fortunately I was able to track down the super and he and another handyman came up and fixed it fairly promptly.

So i asked my friend to come this afternoon. it may be too sunny on the balcony by then, but we can sit inside. She is going away till then end of the month, so I want to visit it with her before she leaves.

I was glad I was able to go with my 'dental buddy' friend yesterday when she had three implants placed. The procedure was more taxing then she had anticipated and I think she appreciated the company. For some reason they didn't prescribe her a pain killer. it's only 800 mg ibuprofen, so she could have used over-the-counter, but a prescription is much cheaper as the government pays for most of it and other insurance pays the dispensing fee. anyway she has arranged to get it today.

My own recovery from my gum graft on tuesday is still going smoothly as far as lack of pain and swelling. I am trying to take it easy - only walking for exercise. I am getting a few little sit down chores done that I had been putting off for lack of interest.

I had warm oatmeal and a protein drink for breakfast. think I will try and egg and a sausage patty and a pancake for lunch - everything cut into tiny pieces. maybe mashed potatoes and soup for supper.

i have been enjoying the instagram pictures honorary granddaughter has been posting on her visit to Europe.

Take care,
AnneX