Daily Check In Sept. 10, 2015

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
rinty

Re: Daily Check In Sept. 10, 2015

Post by rinty »

Hey All

No Spend all week for me. Still got £27 ! And half a tank of petrol. Had a lovely time with new friends last night in our unfinished kitchen : )

Work all week so money In. Just now I am looking at the table still set up for last nights meal ( not the dishes obviously !!! ) Theres a pretty pressed glass jug I filled with thyme, rosemary sprigs and some blowsy David Austen white roses. The nicest thing is the tablecloth............I got it when we were last in Athens. It heavy white cotton ( which will be a swine to iron I imagine, but its gorgeous) with lots of white on white embroidery. I got it from a little shop ( NOT a tourist trap ) full of fab textiles. The shopowner gave me a gift of a teatowel and potholder set with a Greek Christmas design of pomegranates cos we spent so much........that was from our trip last November. We cruised through the Aegean and the Med.

I would die rather than make the same trip this year. I don't know how the migrant news plays out in the US but its just awful and its unrelenting. Where will it end ? I get the anger of countries that are just being used as throughways but its all just madness, I do know I am sick of hearing the UN or Amnesty international just criticizing............no country could cope with what is happening. Wheres the first UN camp ? Oh, that's right, they haven't set any up.

Anway, praying for world leaders that they can actually lead and are guided to some kind of help or solution. Thank goodness for Pope Francis.
Vaeagen

Post by Vaeagen »

Hi all and good afternoon,
Tried to get out this morning before all the heavy rain this morning (at work) but was caught in it. No problem. When I got to where I was going I just waited it out and then did what I had to do. My boss was fine with that. Actually I think he would have rathered I stayed in, he was worried about me.
Now back at my office and finishing the day. Me and ds should be going straight home. Not sure what is for dinner. Dh was supposed to go food shopping but I am guessing the rain kept him from going. We, it is just ds and myself for dinner, will probably just finish the french toast dh made yesterday. If I have my way I will work on some more sewing tonight but we will see if I can do that. I will cross my fingers and see if we can have another no spend day. Dh should be going out with the FD so that will be good.

Hope everyone has a good noght.

Valerie
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

MackerelCat wrote:Good morning, frugal friends. I have had a house guest along with computer problems, so yesterday was rather busy.

I did the free upgrade to Windows 10, which worked fine for a few days, and then got a terminal error and couldn't access the start menu, which meant my laptop was dead. It turns out this is a common problem. The work-around I found got it working as it should, but that blew away all the apps and my browser bookmarks. Since I don't have $139 to buy a new copy of MS Office, I'm using Open Office and some other free apps. It's all still making steam come out my ears.

Anyhow, I hope today will be a lovely, frugal day for everyone, including myself. :-D
oh wow - I keep re scheduling mine. I went ahead and got it, but now not sure I want it after all.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

I am having no problems so far with windows 10. I had a wireless glitch, but youngest DS fixed that in no time at all.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

MackerelCat wrote: I did the free upgrade to Windows 10, which worked fine for a few days, and then got a terminal error and couldn't access the start menu, which meant my laptop was dead. It turns out this is a common problem. The work-around I found got it working as it should, but that blew away all the apps and my browser bookmarks. Since I don't have $139 to buy a new copy of MS Office, I'm using Open Office and some other free apps. It's all still making steam come out my ears.
Oh, yikes .. I keep going back and forth on upgrading ... perhaps I should wait a bit. Maybe Maggie can weigh in on this?

Oh, BTW, I installed Libre Office on my computer (which came with only the Word/Excel starter software). I've been pleased with it so far.
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

Good afternoon ... sunny and 83 ... a lovely day.

Had an appointment this morning. Had to get home, so couldn't make the stops I wanted to make. So must decide what I should/can get done today and tomorrow.

I do want to walk over to the library (I can do that now, there's actual sidewalks!) to pick up a book I have on hold.