Daily Check in Sept 15, 2015

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
mbrudnic

Daily Check in Sept 15, 2015

Post by mbrudnic »

Good Morning frugal folks,
Pork chops are in the crockpot, Breakfast is packed. Ready for the office.
I did get ironing done on quilt squares after Hubby and I took a 2 mile walk last night.

Hopefully we will walk again tonight.
Have a great day,
Maggie

Vaeagen

Re: Daily Check in Sept 15, 2015

Post by Vaeagen »

Good morning all,
Today will not be a frugal day but it is a very exciting day...today is the day my dh retires! We are having a small (if you can call an estimated 70 people stopping by) party at the local watering hole for the day event. He so deserves it and I hope that a lot of people come by and show him all their love and respect.....I think they will. I am looking forward to it.
Otherwise today I am at work during the day. Got my lunch made for that. Ds has speech after work, then quick home change and off to the party.

I'll let you all know tomorrow how it turns out.

Valerie

gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

Congratulations to your hubby Vaeagen!

Good morning everyone!

Hubby is off to work already, gotta make up for yesterday's absence. No lunch to pack for him as he's begun to come home for lunch (no leftovers here either, so I'll have to figure out a hot lunch for us today). I got home (at 6:08 am) from taking oldest Ds to genealogy indexing, the best part of that thing (other than its good for him to do) is that they feed the kids (ages 12-18) breakfast and take them to school.

Yesterday was my tilt table test, hence the reason why hubby missed work. We had to travel out to Provo/Orem area for the test, a good 3 hours drive away we thought. We left really early to make sure that we'd have no problems getting through the road construction, and we had no problems there. Lol we arrived 1-1/2 hours early, but still had to wait for the correct time before I had my test -- original plan was for hubby to take our girls to my Step-Mom's house, and by the time we finally left the hospital, I wish he had. We were there 6 hours, 3 of them just waiting for the Dr to come tell me the results of the test (everything was normal, so he said eat more salt, drink more fluids, and absolutely NO SUGAR). Hey yeah, that diagnosis is one I already practice fairly religiously. I think I may not be going to find out what is causing my heart to act so crazy, but I have 2 more Dr appts, including one today, and one on Friday.

Oh I mumble on at length, yes? ;) Here, I'll do it some more too.

I have been coughing, with a very sore throat, but I'm guessing tis allergies because I've not had the fever, headaches I get with a cold. As I am [already] sugar-free, regular cough drops make me more intestinally sick than seem to do my throat much good, so I've been investigating making my own. Back in January I did make several different batches of herb or ginger/cayenne/garlic drops, but they all relied heavily on sugar; now i want to find other sweeteners to make hard candy (i.e. cough drops with), and I think I just found one using molasses (http://online-cookbook.com/goto/cook/rpage/000D7D). Even though its raining today, I might just give it a try, as I'm anxious for something to work.

Its raining pretty good, I am grateful for it, and hope it continues for a few days even though it will make my jam-making project a bit harder (bread-making, jam, and hard candy seem to hit their peaks much slower in rain here), but at least I do have plenty to keep me busy. I have currently made 3 batches of jam, the last on Sunday and I have 2 quarts of that stuff in my fridge to soften and reheat to get into bottles... lol, after I wash more pint and half-pint bottles. I still have plenty of greengage plums and pears to make up into jam. I think I may make a couple batches of each plain now, then another mix of the two. I want to make at least one more sugar-free; last time I used coconut palm sugar and a bit of honey, it thickened nicely, tasted yummy, but was much darker than the other. Oh well.

I think my garden is nearly finished, I might have enough tomatoes for 1 small batch of salsa or plain diced canned tomatoes, and I might get another handful of green beans. The extra rows of corn I planted have been more pain than pleasure, between the neighbor's mules getting out & eating down the stalks, to the remaining stalks just not thriving. The only good things coming from this garden now are a few cucumbers (finally), a few pumpkins, and we'll have a good harvest of big purple Lima beans which taste yummy in a winter crock-pot soup or stew.

Time to get breakfast going, I want hot oatmeal! :)

Happy Tuesday everyone!

Gayle

AnneX

Post by AnneX »

Good Morning

Hope the retirement party is great, Valerie.

Gayle, sending you good thoughts for finding some solutions to your health problems.

It's a nice summery day here. I will be going to Tai Chin a few minutes, followed by
coffee with my friend.

I was able to get my temporary "tooth'" appliance in yesterday and again this morning, so I'm now able to be out and about more.

Got my laundry done yesterday but I stripped my bed this morning so nowe there's more.

Supper will be ground beef with well cooked pasta (no tomato sauce though as it might irritate my graft areas) and soft cooked vegetables. Still trying to think what to have for lunch - maybe cottage cheese with avocado.

Take care,
AnneX

clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Not as cool today as yesterday, but better than before.

Still not feeling good - stomach issues. I am really going to have to watch what I eat. Must have been the enchiladas I had on Wednesday. I rarely have them because of this. Now no more for sure. Chili powder and I do not get along. I don't see how people all around me eat nothing but chili based food around here all day long and survive!!

So I guess my childhood "picky eating" was based on instinct? Self preservation? lOL
Don't laugh at the picky eaters people.

Did do some gardening yesterday, but today I think I will just do inside things. Started culling out clothes and accessories I no longer use. That visit with my sister and her closet issues really helped - in a "don't want to be like this" way. She has clothes in her closet that are at least 30 years old. She is 68 and still thinks that some day she will wear them again. Don't people know the body changes and even if it fits, it might not look good?

So I got rid of a bunch of socks and tank tops. I've started wearing just grey stretchy t-shirts and soft denim shorts. I like uniform dressing. Will purge the other shorts today.

Have a great day all.

Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites

Woke up to lots of cloud cover and when I opened the door a crack discovered that it started raining a tad. We may not be headed out to the icefields today. We will see what the day brings.

Off to enjoy my coffee.

Everybody have a great day