How Do You Listen To Music?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
floridacatlover

Re: How Do You Listen To Music?

Post by floridacatlover » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:40 pm

icfrugal1 wrote:Laptop, Pandora. :-)
I have heard other people mention Pandora but I'm not familiar with it. Do you create playlists? Is it free or a monthly charge?

floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:44 pm

colonialgirl wrote:I listen to music all the time. have a bose music system and I either listen to the radio or cds. I also download music to my computer and hubs just bought me an ipod for my last birthday so I can download my music to that and play through the Bose. Bose sounds like an orchestra is right in the room with me. I only buy songs when they are on sale for 69 cents. I like that I can buy one song I want without purchasing a whole album of songs I never heard of or wanted. But I have to figure out using the ipod and I have not had time to play with it.

In the car, I use Sirius. I got it for free when we bought the car and fell in love with it, but was not going to renew because - well I am cheap. But hubs said it would be one of my Christmas gifts from him, so I got the narrowed down, $5 per month version. i cannot believe there are people who pay $30 a month for radio, no matter how good it is. He was happy to be able to buy me something I wanted and I do enjoy it a lot.

I have never been able to stand headphones or sets or ear buds- I just don't like something like that in my ear. I think Ipads need a additional speaker as the ones in there are not loud enough.
I have some songs I've purchased on my iPod, too. So it sounds like if I had a Bose speaker I could send the songs to the speaker from the iPad.

floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:45 pm

floridacatlover wrote:
colonialgirl wrote:I listen to music all the time. have a bose music system and I either listen to the radio or cds. I also download music to my computer and hubs just bought me an ipod for my last birthday so I can download my music to that and play through the Bose. Bose sounds like an orchestra is right in the room with me. I only buy songs when they are on sale for 69 cents. I like that I can buy one song I want without purchasing a whole album of songs I never heard of or wanted. But I have to figure out using the ipod and I have not had time to play with it.

In the car, I use Sirius. I got it for free when we bought the car and fell in love with it, but was not going to renew because - well I am cheap. But hubs said it would be one of my Christmas gifts from him, so I got the narrowed down, $5 per month version. i cannot believe there are people who pay $30 a month for radio, no matter how good it is. He was happy to be able to buy me something I wanted and I do enjoy it a lot.

I have never been able to stand headphones or sets or ear buds- I just don't like something like that in my ear. I think Ipads need a additional speaker as the ones in there are not loud enough.
I have some songs I've purchased on my iPod, too. So it sounds like if I had a Bose speaker I could send the songs to the speaker from the iPad.
Whoops, I meant iPod.

LWolfT

Post by LWolfT » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:17 pm

We listen to internet radio stations through the computer, though I have a collection of downloaded music.

In the car, it's usually the radio, or CDs ...

Devoted

Post by Devoted » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:47 pm

floridacatlover wrote:
I have heard other people mention Pandora but I'm not familiar with it. Do you create playlists? Is it free or a monthly charge?
i listen to music via pandora. that, and sometimes youtube.

with pandora you can set up stations, like radio stations. for example, one station i set up is 'glenn miller radio'. the 'radio' at the end is automatically added. also, you can choose a genre as a station -- like i have brasilian music (bossa nova) as one of my stations.

pandora doesn't let you choose specific songs into your stations like a playlist. instead, they play songs by the artist (like glenn miller, in my example) and then play other songs by different artists which you might like because you like glenn miller songs.

here's more info about Pandora Radio, which is powered by the Music Genome Project -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandora_Radio

edited to add: pandora is free. you can listen to music through their website, or on a tv when 'streaming' -- either through a roku (streaming device) or a smart tv. well, there are pop-ups asking if you'd like to pay for pandora service and not get commercials. but the commercials are very brief and not overly many, so i've been fine with the free service.

icfrugal1

Post by icfrugal1 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:45 pm

floridacatlover wrote:
FREE FREE FREE just put Pandora.com in and sign up, you do create your own playlist, just put your artist or song in and it will find things that you like, you can have several stations. Enjoy :-)

IC :D