No-Cost Simplifying, Short Cuts, Time Savers

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
11cats2beagles

Re: No-Cost Simplifying, Short Cuts, Time Savers

Post by 11cats2beagles »

Quilter51 wrote:Let me just say that if you are having them put on pjs before dinner....large napkins or bibs or someting. Ask me how I know. Having your kid going to bed wearing tomato sauce kind of defeats the purpose, lol.

i wear my hear really short. I do color it and have to cut it once a month but no brush, no blow dryer.

I dont do the hand nail thing at all, but I get pedicures as a healthy person since I am borderline diabetic.

I throw my undies in the drawer, same with bras, I do roll sock,'

I realize that this is a frugal board, but I rely a great deal on dinners to go and Schwans. I also pay for the fluff and fold laundry guy on occasion (folding clothes is like one of my worst things)

I own nothing that has to be pressed or ironed, ever.

Exceot for craft supplies and cookie decorating stuff,I am not a keeper, so I dont have a lot of stuff.

I clean incidentally only (do the bathroom when I am done each day, clean the kitchen while cookies. Once every few days somone vacuums on account of the dogs but my house is rarely "spotless"

I leave things out where I can get to them (I dont have cats and small children). So I have a library basket, a yarn basket and a basket wiith my tablet and journal at all times and a craft room where things can be left out.

Again, some folks may consider this as non frugal but......I have multiples of things andkeep them where I need them. I have scissors on my night stand, in my sewing romon, in my writing basket and in the junk drawer. And I have chapsticks everywhere. I am convinced chapsticks are like socks and earring backings. There is this black hole under the house......
Quilter, I forgot about the "multiples" thing - I do that! I keep nail clippers, emery boards, scissors, lip balm and breath mints "everywhere" - that is in a basket in the living room, in a kitchen drawer, in the bathroom, in my bedroom, in my car, in my purse, etc. I can't stand being without those items when I need them. I also keep two spare brooms - one on the front porch (under bench seat - not visible) and one on the back porch.

BeckyO

Post by BeckyO »

I grew up with a mother who could open the frig and put together a delicious meal in 15 to 20 min to feed anybody who dropped by. The first of the week or sometime she cooked a large amt of food, then put the leftovers in the frig. Her art was in knowing what to combine to make an appetizing meal. ie, fresh sliced tomatoes, pickled veggies, yesterday's roast and peas, today's hot cooked cornbread and lemonade.

I try to keep my frig stocked with cooked food, fresh food and condiments. Then I can 'mix and match' my menus. So I don't have to cook every night.
Last edited by BeckyO on Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

11cats2beagles

Post by 11cats2beagles »

BeckyO wrote:I grew up with a mother who cook open the frig and put together a delicious meal in 15 to 20 min to feed anybody who dropped by. The first of the week or sometime she cooked a large amt of fod, then put the leftovers in the frig. Her art was in knowing what to combine to make an appetizing meal.ie, fresh sliced tomatoes, pickled veggies, yesterday's roast and peas, today's hot cooked cornbread and lemonade.

I try to keep my frig stocked with cooked food, fresh food and condiments. Then I can 'mix and match' my menus. So I don't have to cook every night.
BeckyO, both my Grandmothers always had a large amount of leftovers in the frige - ready to feed whoever. My Maternal Grandmother always had a bowl of cold boiled potatoes in her frige and good meals always seemed to come from that bowl of potatoes. Good memories!

Jens_Cats

Post by Jens_Cats »

I love this thread! Here are some things I do:

1. Keep a rotating give away box in the house at all times. Sometimes I keep it in the garage. Sometimes, the dining room. Sometimes out on the enclosed porch. This way, true "clutter" has a place to go, always. It doesn't sit on a shelf or in a closet where it will get forgotten. When the box is full, out it goes! During flea market season, I might keep a 2nd box for items that may be worth selling.

2. When I need to take something to someone, I put it next to or IN my purse the day before I go to see that person. I started doing this when I bought someone maple syrup while we were in VT, but then forgot to give it to her for like two months. LOL!

3. I'm taking fewer trips into DC, because just the drive in often throws me into a fibro flare. This means I'm making some sacrifices, but I'm no good to anybody if I'm already tired and non-fucntioning when I show up. Part of this is I'm working from home for my DC client every other week.

4. We keep a vacuum cleaner on every floor of the house, even if it's just a small hand held one. This saves a lot of time and effort, because we don't have to lug a potentially heavy machine up and down stairs. The one on our upper floor needs to be replace, though. It's dong a passable job for now. I may see about getting it fixed before I replace it.

5. I pick only one to two major jobs per day. Anything else I get done is a bonus.

6. I am in the process of switching from the large cat boxes I have now (under bed storage boxes) to sifting cat boxes. I've also started using smaller bags when I scoop. I'm getting to the point where I can't lug a full trash bag up the stairs from the basement, so I use plastic grocery bags or the bags from our water softener salt, etc. Smaller, lighter, easier to handle. This means I takes 2-3 bags to clean the boxes, but at least I'm not wearing myself out. The sifting cat boxes are MUCH easier for me to handle.

7. I save ALL cardboard boxes that are copy paper-sized and larger. The cat bathroom is floored with vinyl, but the mess STILL gets everywhere. I put the cardboard under the boxes. The floor still gets dirty, but the cardboard absorbs most of the mess, which means it's easier to clean up, and hopefully we're keeping the residual odor down. (While we don't have cats who go outside the box/mark/etc, we do have one or two who "miss".)

8. I do my heaviest chores when I'm feeling good. For instance, today I want to make a fire. Since I was feeling good right after lunch, i went ahead and brought in the wood and kindling I will need. Since I have to also clean out the fireplace, this will make the whole task less daunting.

9. I clean as I go, and when I'm doing one task and see something else in the same general area that needs doing, I go ahead and just do that second task. Most of the time, these "side tasks" take just seconds or maybe five minutes, tops. The house is much cleaner as a result.

Jen M, WV
Sage Alley: My green/simple living blog:
http://sagealley.blogspot.com

suzin.e.h

Post by suzin.e.h »

I love this post..Great Ideas.......I have a simple hair cut (bangs and straight cut around) and all I need to do is wash my hair and comb.. I do not wear makeup..alergies...just use a face cream.....when I am cooking I have a sink full of sudsy water and put all used items in it as I'm through with them (they are much easier and quicker to wash that way) I don't have a dishwasher...when I find a buy on celery, onions I buy lots and process them right away..what I do is clean them up...chop them fine, and put them in the zipper freezer bags, when I need some in my cooking I just get what I need, and the rest goes back in the freezer....

BeckyO

Post by BeckyO »

One thing I do to boost my own sense of accomplishment is to do One Thing each day that does not have to be redone.. we know the bed needs making every day as do dishes and laundry, sweeping etc.. but painting a wall, fixing a piece of furniture, sewing an outfit, finishing a painting, giving a party, writing a story, going___ these things last for awhile. I Accomplished something : )