When your friend is scared.

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Shelsmiles

Re: When your friend is scared.

Post by Shelsmiles »

Lol! I'm not on there anymore either! That's why the message. It's sad how unbelievable people can be to one another. That was a message board that I was in and active in for ten plus years. Can't bear to let people tear each other apart for having different opinions! It's gotten out of hand to be sure. ;)

floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

colonialgirl wrote:I think the very best thing you can do is not dismiss her as being unhinged. Many people, including me, are extremely upset about the future we see coming from this election. And quite frankly, the thing that pisses me off to no end is people who ask me about my concerns and then dismiss them.

The fact of the matter is I am certainly more politically active and likely much more politically aware of the realities of government and law than the people who patronizingly tell me that nothing is going to happen and that thinking so is an overreaction.

I would trying strike a chord that is supportive without being dismissive or judgmental.
All I can think of is that even I did not think that the shocking events of the past week would happen so fast. Heaven help us.

colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl »

Yeah FCL - it is incredibly scary. I don't know if I am about the only one who is old enough to remember Nixon's Saturday night massacre - the firing of Richardson, Ruckleshouse and Archie Cox. But this is eerily reminiscent of that.

I am beginning to think Michael Moore is some kind of prophet because he has been right on the money about what was going to happen. I am just afraid that three months from now we will be looking back on these as the good old days.

I am determined if they try and implement a Muslim registry to register as a Muslim. If you don't hear from me for a while, I may be in GITMO.

floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Yes, I remember the Saturday Night Massacre.

It is not even the immigration ban that is so upsetting (although that is terrible and I don't believe it will do one thing to keep us safe). It is cracking down on any dissent, taking names of those who worked on climate change (I still can't figure out why people are so against addressing climate change) and for me as a retired journalist the position that the news media is the opposition. It is the heavy, heavy hand.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Thanks again to everyone who posted helpful suggestions. She still posts some of the lunatic stuff from the far Left. But she allows me to post a rebuttal. I have 3 friends who are liberal. One of them is balanced. The other 2, I hope they survive their depression. There is this one guy who posts against me on everything on my depressed friend feed. He has informed the world that he is brilliant, the master of logic and commander of the English language. Since I have not knelt before him as all should, he is reduced to calling me a liar or worse when I rebut his logic. (which can't be possible since he is the master of logic) He also must have the last word usually a personal attack. I followed advice here and urged her to get involved with the political change she wants, but to no avail. Most of her rational friends have left her. I am wondering if she keeps me because she wants a balance. She is getting back into traveling which is good for her and gets her away from her problems real and imagined. (she is sure the neighbors are trying to kill her cats). Thanks again for the help.

colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl »

I agree FCL. It is the blatant disregard for the institutions and customary behaviors that have allowed our democracy to function. And the retribution on opponents is is just plain terrifying. I doubt many of us have considered there could come a time when the President of the US might just say - No, I won't follow the law. It is very, very upsetting.