Daily Check in Sept 18 2015

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
mbrudnic

Daily Check in Sept 18 2015

Post by mbrudnic » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:45 am

Good Morning Frugals,

Happy Friday. I spent a short time last night trimming quilt squares. I probably will not be able to work on it again until Saturday. Work today and then the football game. there are only 3 of us working on the truck crew, so I need to be there.

Over to weekend I need to bake a cake for DS's Birthday Sunday. Get ready for a Sunday lunch cookout with 3 of the Grandparents. I need to buy DS's big gift, take Ds driving more. We are going around the DMV again. He is supposed to look up the typical driver's test route. This site is tricky as it is on a 3-lane one way raod and they need to cross the lanes to make a left turn in three or four short blocks. Then turn into a neighborhood with 2 schools and one-way streets.

Ah well, I am sure I will write more of our adventures.
Have a great day,
Maggie

shopper113

Re: Daily Check in Sept 18 2015

Post by shopper113 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:46 am

This could be called "What I did on my summer vacation."

I haven't been around much, and this is part of the reason. The last 6 months has been busy. I was diagnosed with endometrial cancer in mid March, had a hysterectomy in April, was off work for 6 weeks (This is why we pay for short term disability insurance).

We caught it relatively early, but not quite early enough to avoid chemo. I had known from the day of diagnosis I'd have at least some radiation treatment. There were no known or visible through testing tumors or spots anywhere after surgery, but based on certain measurements there was a chance that cells were floating through the blood stream, thus the need for chemo--hunt those suckers down and kill them before they find a new home. Since this cancer has no markers that can be detected from blood tests (per my doctor) I viewed it as completely preventative medicine, based on what they were telling me.

So, 3, seven hour chemo infusions spaced at 3 week intervals, a short break for 5 (relatively mild, I think) radiation treatments every other work day, followed by 3 more infusion sessions. Given that one of my nurses has another patient who has had 33 chemo infusions so far, I know I got off relatively easy-- again because we caught it early and because it was preventing a potential spread.

Yesterday was my final chemo session, hopefully forever. I had sailed through previous sessions, though had noticed that there was a cumulative effect and I felt worse, longer, after each progressive session. Thanks to the anti nausea meds (that last for 5 days) they give as part of the infusion i was never really sick after, but feel more like I"m a tad seasick for a few days after (longer the more treatments I had) and have muscle and joint pain... and I have been known to be grumpy about it.

Now, time to rebuild strength and endurance, hopefully get past the carb cravings I've had (I call it cruise eating... the days I feel a tad seasick, I tend to eat to feel better :( could be why the "chemo and you" book they gave me said women usually gain 10 lbs on chemo!! )

My hair should start growing back in a few weeks, but based on research I've done it will be close to 6 months before I have enough hair to style into a short pixie cut. I have a very nice wig, another that I bought to save wear and tear on the good wig and because it was cooler in the summer and another I bought on ebay (same company as the second one--they are common on ebay because wigs are very hard to return to the mail order places.) Should I be sad that I get more compliments on my hair when I wear the good wig than I ever have for my real hair? ;)

SO, now that I have fulfilled the stereotypical old woman yakking on about her surgery a public service announcement.

Get regular physicals, If you are the age for it, get your colonoscopy and mammograms, etc. If you notice spotting or bleeding, get your cute little self to the doctor immediately. If I had waited, I could have been the woman getting her 34th Chemo treatment (or the one who never had a chance to make it that far)

As it stands, based on stats, I"m in the "~ 90% chance of being alive in 5 years" group which, since that number includes all causes of death including accidents and other issues, sound not much worse than just being 57 years old.

mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:58 am

Wow Shopper, Glad you caught it early. Healing wishes & Prayers going out to you.

dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:25 am

Shopper, so happy your treatments are over. Lovely weather for walking outside coming up! Get strong for the long, cold winter ahead (unless you are in the south? I forget.) Yes I agree on getting the regular checkups and listen to your body.

Soooo ready for vacation to start on Sunday! I won't be checking in much as I am not taking my laptop. I will just use DH's to check e-mails a few times. I'm taking needlework/knitting projects and books. Main agenda is to sit & stare at the ocean. ;)

Dinner last night used up cherry tomatoes and 2 peppers. I am going to water the garden tonight since the peppers, squash & tomatoes are still producing a little. Got a few squash and handful of pole beans yesterday too. 2 last small pumpkins to pick (grapefruit-size.) 1 baby zucchini on the way.

I sewed on the wool skirt last night, just needs waistband & hem to be finished. I brushed the dog, his winter coat is coming in. He gets some vaccinations at the vet on Saturday morning.

Jackielou

Post by Jackielou » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:30 am

Shopper, so happy that you are cancer free. The chemo should have taken care of the rest of those evil cells.

Good morning fellow frugalites

Slept in a bit this morning in part because I was so tired it took me a bit of time to fall asleep. My brain would not shut down with the lists it kept wanting to make either.

Looking out the big front window I once again see fog in the valley. Mostly it is following the river, but some has moved into the valley on each side of the river.

I have started the laundry and will finish up this coffee before heading out for my morning walk.

The rest of the morning will be spent hanging what I can on the lines outside (think I may be using the basement lines for a few things today), paying the bills that did not get paid before we left (came in the mail that day) and getting some basic shopping done. Hopefully that will still give me time to get some tomato sauce made and have a bit of a clean out of the chest freezer in the basement. I would also like to get some of the less than stellar looking plants dumped out.

Started some of my Christmas gift making and I hope to have all the mitts I want to make done by the end of next week. I am trying to make my nieces 3 pair each and while I did do a bit of knitting in the car, I am afraid that it wasn't as much as I had planned to do. I got side tracked by scenery.

Supper tonight is going to be a Salmon Casserole, serving it with a salad.

Today I am grateful to be home and perhaps able to get into a better daily routine.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.

itspennyc

Post by itspennyc » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:31 am

I am feeling some better today.

I again plan to rest. I do need to finish gathering the trash and putting it out. But that means just putting the bag outside my door. I also have a few dishes to wash, some do go into the dishwasher.

I need to finish making my shopping list for tomorrow. I don’t need much.

Penny