Daily Check in Sept 19, 2015

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
mbrudnic

Daily Check in Sept 19, 2015

Post by mbrudnic »

Good Morning frugal friends,

I have a few hours until DS's bass lesson. I am going to start with Laundry and sewing. No, wait, Coffee, then laundry and sewing. I am planning on taking DS out to dinner for his birthday (Tomorrow) We also need to practice driving around he BMV. I sure hope he looked up the test route. Not sure what dinner will be, we talked about going downtown again but the Annual Octoberfest is going on also. I guess my city has the largest Octoberfest outside of Munich.

Birthday cookout will be Turkey Mignons, mac and cheese, a veggie and some fruit. Cake and a an Apple pie will be dessert. DS said he is not big into cake (my Child?) and I have apples in the fridge.

Now here is a story. I got an email form the bank. They detected suspicious activity on the credit card and suspended it. They may have called, there was a call where I did nto recognize the number. SO I called right away an sure enough it was a charge from Hubby's hotel in Dehli, India. I verified the charges, they noted that he was overseas until next Friday and re-enabled the card. He forgot to call the bank to tell them he was traveling.

Have a great day,
Maggie

Jackielou

Re: Daily Check in Sept 19, 2015

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites

Today begins what I was hoping would be a long streak of no spending, however Hubby talked to his plastic surgeon yesterday and his operation will be on Wednesday in the big city. What this means is that we more than likely will not be doing a stock up run into said city on the weekend. Doubt very much if Hubby wants to walk around with his head bandaged up. We will just have to wait and see what happens and how the graft takes.

Today will be one of hunkering down after my morning walk and getting things done for the freezer and the canning/pickling cupboard. I have tomatoes and jalapeno's to put away for the winter today. Then I will be working on Christmas gifts and planning the sewing projects for the two small lap sized (perhaps a bit larger) quilts for the DS's. I can't really plan my sewing for Hubby until I get the necessary fabric (none of what I need in my stash). I could however start planning which sweater pattern I would like to knit for him.

Frugality wise there will be no spending today. I do need to make a trip to the Farmer's Market though. I want to get 2 rather large cabbages and get them in the freezer so I can make cabbage rolls sometime this coming week.... That is if I have enough ground beef. That trip will be the extent of my spending today.

The rest of the day will be spent putting up produce, knitting mitts from yarn in my stash (mostly leftover skeins being used from other projects over the years), planning, and just plain getting back into the frugal groove. Something that needs to be done after the splurge on our mini vacation.

Supper tonight is going to be some of the leftover ham in the freezer made into a lovely casserole. Getting chilly here so out will come the casseroles, stews and soups again. This week is not too bad for temperatures though, so I will be able to continue my early morning walks.

Today I am grateful for another morning with no frost.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.

snowangel729

Post by snowangel729 »

Morning All!

Not Sure what today has in store for me! Breakfast was leftovers with sliced apples, and cottage cheese. Lunch will be leftovers from yesterdays lunch and dinner. I cleaned up a high chair I picked up from the curb this week, gotta put the cover that I washed back on it. It is pretty cute, it is missing the tray but I can work around that. I have some crochet work to do. I think I am gonna fold laundry and try to declutter the house a bit. DH is still recovering from his LASIK eye surgery this week, and he will be attending D & D tonight so I will have the house mostly to myself.

AnneX

Post by AnneX »

Good Morning:

A Fallish kind of weekend. Supposed to be some rain today and a cool down tomorrow.

Today I will focus on tidying the apartment, vacuuming and cleaning the parquet. My rugs need to be shampooed but I will wait till the heat comes on in a week or two so they will dry more quickly.

Tomorrow sounds like it might be an ideal soup-making day. Hydro rates are lower on the weekend so it's a good time for cooking.

I took stock in my refrigerator last night - have a few opened bottles of protein drinks and smoothies I got for after my gum surgery that I need to finish up in the next day or two and quite a few single serving containers of yogurt to eat as well. I bought a pear a couple of days ago for the purpose of practising my pastel drawing. I did the drawing last night, so now the pear can be eaten. I think if I slice it up i can eat it raw, otherwise I'll zap it in the microwave and have some nice pear sauce for a pancake.

if it's not too hot by lunch time, i'll have a bowl of soup with plain yogurt and avocado on top. I'm thinking poached salmon with mashed butterbeans and veggies for supper,

Take care,
AnneX

itspennyc

Post by itspennyc »

I am getting ready to go to the supermarket.

I woke up with the joints of my left hand hurting, mostly the knuckles. The index finger one is bothering me most.This happens once every few years. At least with use the pain is easing up.

I did go shopping this morning, I had a bunch of coupons I was able to save $15 and change which is wonderful considering how small my total was before coupons.

I had a coupon for $3 off meat of $3 or more, $4 off ready to cook Seafood, a coupon for a free package of broccoli slaw, plus several $1 here and there coupons.

I have the A-1 the blimp almost done. This one I am happy with, I have to finish one fin, and do the gondola.

Penny

dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa »

Good afternoon. Dog visit to vet is completed. We discussed acupuncture for his arthritis, I am willing to give it a try. A different vet in the practice actually does this. I need to clean the dog's ears tonight, it is building up on one side. This is a recurring problem.

I processed all the produce on hand, it just went into the freezer: shredded zucchini, cherry tomatoes, pepper strips. Can all be used in cooking/baking. Made potato salad to use up the potatoes in the pantry. Wiped out the produce drawer. Laundry is going. Swept front & back decks. Need to to water different bushes. I watered the garden yesterday and house plants today.

Dinner is leftover burritos & potato salad (does not go together I know). Enjoy the rest of your weekend!