Daily Check In Sept. 20, 2015

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

Daily Check In Sept. 20, 2015

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugals.

Thought I would start us of and grab a cup of coffee. Back in a moment or three.

Jackie
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Jackielou

Re: Daily Check In Sept. 20, 2015

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites

Woke up to double digits this morning (low double digits) and realized that after Mass today I really need to give my plants a good watering. I do want them to hold on for a bit longer this fall even though they are getting a bit straggly.

After Mass I plan on pickling the jalapenos and baking a loaf of bread. I will also make up the list of chores for next week. Wednesday will be more of a work on presents day, while I sit in the hospital and wait for Hubby to get his minor surgery done. He will need me to drive home as even though only the local area will be frozen, he will not be in the mood to drive.

Plan on having a few no spend days this week. Yesterday was one and I hope to have at least 3 more. I don't think I am going to make my goal this month, but I will try as hard as I can.

Later this afternoon I will continue to work on Christmas gifts. I should be able to finish the third pair of mittens (using up at least 2 balls of leftover yarn from a sweater I made years ago), and move on to the next two balls of left over yarn and the next 3 pairs of mittens. Hoping to have most of them done by the end of next week so I can start on one of the knitted rugs for the DS's.

Supper tonight will be roast beef, roast carrots, roast potatoes and some cheese and pickles.

Today I am grateful for our lovely weather, getting snow in the mountains worried me that perhaps winter was coming sooner than we wanted it to.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
snowangel729

Post by snowangel729 »

Just waking up over here, Made DH and I some scrambled eggs and toast for breakfast. We have leftover chicken breasts for lunch, and I am thinking some cornbread chili for dinner. We are having a relaxing day mostly. We made up a list of stuff to pick up from the grocery store since the hubby said he would go with me. We decided to just grab everything today so we didn't have to go back out on Tuesday. We already started our list and got it ready. Trying to think of ways to cut down on our grocery prices, however there are certain things my DH just needs to have, and I don't wanna cut too much out of fresh produce. DH's job requires him to be very fit so we try to eat healthy so he stays in shape. Just enjoying some coffee and watching netflix with DH until we go to the grocery store, he has off til the 28th so he will be home for awhile, maybe I will get him to work on the nursery while he is home haha.

Have A Great Day!!!
rinty

Post by rinty »

Jackie, glad you had that nice break before hunkering down as we head into autumn.

So very sorry to hear Lennons news. Absolutely devastating.

Just coordinating what we do to help the kids this week....any childcare and of course, DS stuff. He has had some good carers prioritising him just now and I appreciate it so much.

I only have 2 days work booked and want to go to the Job Centre............ which will be a first. I have never "signed on " and not planning to, but DH and I feel I should throw myself on their mercy and ask about any courses or training I might be able to get on. Having basically been a carer for 24 years I could do with some more marketable skills. They can only say no.

Nice Sunday. Its late afternoon, we just got back from a trip to a park I found via a trip with the kids from school....we took the dog and one of our kids and their families. Had a Mormon picnic as its Sunday so the café was Out of Bounds.......so water bottles and a bag of cookies.......does it count as No Spend if its religious observerance ???

Not looking forward to work, I won't lie, so that should mean I put my butt in gear and JOBSEARCH. I do have a private pension which kicks in when I'm 60 but the state pension isn't til I'm 67 so plenty of Career Time left, onwards and upwards.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Rinty, with all the patience, organizational skills and coping skills you have developed being a carer all these years, there is going to be a job out there for you. If the job centre can get you some tech skills to go with that, you will be very employable. Mature workers rock!

Yesterday we spent money, and some of it was spent wisely. :-D I took advantage of a 40 percent off sale at the paint store to buy a gallon of paint for the back porch. Saved $28 doing that -- when did paint get so expensive? Also used a special promotion at Dollar General to save $7 off $20 worth of paper towels and toilet paper, so we are now well-stocked up on that.

And then we went to the movies to see "The Man from UNCLE", which was great fun, but the movie-going experience made me realize once again why we rarely go: Matinee tickets for 3: $24. Downtown parking: $9!!!! Concessions: I think DH and DS spent at least $20 on popcorn and soda there. Once I saw that a small Coke was $5.45, I decided I could just chew a stick of gum for free if my mouth got dry. We hadn't done anything fun together as a family in ages, but mercy, the prices!

I'd really love to see the new Meryl Streep movie "Ricki and the Flash," but will wait until it comes out on Amazon or Netflix, pop some popcorn in my own kitchen and enjoy it with a 25 cent store-brand canned soda.
Mackie
AnneX

Post by AnneX »

Good Afternoon:

Fall has arrived here a few days early, lovely and cool and non-humid. i'm starting to see yellow amidst the green in the trees outside my front window. This afternoon I will walk downtown to the art supply store to get a few sheets of paper for my art course.

Meanwhile I have been having a peaceful morning at home. there has been lovely sacred and classical music on the radio. I've just finished making a pot of black bean soup which is now cooling on the balcony. The dishes are washed and the counter cleaned.

Next task is to straighten up my bedroom and bathroom. Then I need to write a couple of emails. Must remember that when I'm ready to go out I should take a watering can down stairs and water the big pot of flowers outside our front door. Since I rescued them from death earlier in the season I feel an ongoing responsibility to care for them.

Breakfast was scrambled eggs with bacon and pancake. i have some leftover soup for lunch. Supper will be leftover salmon fillet, leftover butter bean puree and some kind of vegetable.

I think I'll put the fall wreath i made on my door today. i might make another one for my entry way table with the leftover stuff. Generally I'm not a fan of artificial flowers and foliage but somehow in fall colours they work. I looked at similar door decorations in HomeSense - $30 (and this is supposedly a discount store). I made mine with about $10 worth of materials and have enough for another.

Take care,
AnneX