Daily Check in Dec 14, 2016

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
mbrudnic

Daily Check in Dec 14, 2016

Post by mbrudnic »

Good Morning folk,

So the maintenance guy came over and got my furnace running. But it went off with a bag about 9:30 (the room was at the set temperature) but it never came on again overnight. I will call in a bit to report the issue. The bill chill has come to my area. My parents got 5 or 6 inches of snow. 30 miles South, we got a dusting.

Another day of training videos, talking to the account reps and web surfing is in store for me. I have a meeting tonight of the High School Tech committee.

Have a great day,
Maggie

Dgflorida

Re: Daily Check in Dec 14, 2016

Post by Dgflorida »

Good Wednesday morning all,

I am fairly content that I have the yard and porch ready for the pest control guy. My gardening stuff is put away until I return in January. I didn't get the my new credit card confirmed yesterday. On the task list for today. I will use it while I am traveling. I plan to get the tires and battery checked and pull out the cash I intend to take today. Also continue to work on insulating windows etc. I tried to insulate the front door yesterday, but it made it too hard to lock for hubs, so I had to pull off most of the insulation. :x

Also, I want to go through the winter stuff and see what I want to take back to Houston to give to charity there. There is no winter here, so most charities don't even want heavy winter things. I can carry a carry on and a check in free. I figure I will take winter things from here and bring back things that I left at dance partner's place. I left some winter things there last year because I knew I would be coming to Houston in the winter this year. But this is the end of winter visits. Keeping winter things here is not particularly wise. Things store here poorly given the heat and humidity. Time to declutter.

Just ordinary things here. Waiting to travel. Have a good frugal day all.

Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

Still colder than I would wish it to be, but then again it is winter. Hopefully it will not be this cold come the time the DS's are home. I hate them driving in the bitter cold even though they are used to it for the most part.

The meat sauce that I made used some of the spaghetti sauce (just tomatoes, vinegar, onions, some spices....you get the drift) that I packaged up this summer. For some reason this batch has a real vinegar taste to it. Hubby could barely eat what he put on his plate. In fact he didn't finish what he had and filled up on salad. If I can't rid this leftover batch of that taste, I will be tossing a whole bunch of sauce. Anyone have any ideas on how to go about this?????

Today I will be sticking close to home. I will get a grocery list, and pet supply list made up (as well as the last few gifts for the DS's and Hubby) to use tomorrow. Also need to get the bills lined up to be paid. A few have not arrived as of yet but I do know how much we usually pay so will go with that amount for each of those bills and who knows they could arrive today. Also need to mail the parcel and some cards as well as pick up stamps for next year which means a stop at the post office as well.

I am working on another gift right now. It really seems to be knitting up nicely and I am using up some more of my yarn stash to do it. Slowly but surely getting through what I have and even though I have been tempted I haven't bought any to replace what I am using up. I do wonder about the spring though and the changing of colours and weights of yarn....Perhaps by then I will be able to hit some really great sales and do a small replacement of some of it.

Yesterday I washed the two cross stitch pictures that are part of the DS's gifts and if they are dry today I will iron and mount them. One I can put in the frame right away, while the other will need to wait until I can find a larger frame than I have. Hubby is unable to construct one at this time, so this means I must purchase a new one. Kind of kicking myself for hauling all but a few to the Salvation Army Thrift store here in town. I may take a look there and see if I can find one.

Usual Wednesday chores will be happening here. Hoping to get ahead with extra cleaning and have a chance to really visit with the DS's while they are home.

Supper tonight will be the leftover spaghetti and meat sauce made into baked spaghetti. That is if I can get the taste mellowed a bit. If not I will pull out some smoked sausages I found in the back of the freezer.

Today I am grateful for things that help me keep busy and contented.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.

clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Good morning all

Overcast morning, but not too cold. Went outside with the pets and didn't need to cover up. I do wear flannel pajamas. One thing I love about winter. The cozy flannel pjs.

Today is our usual breakfast. I have to pick up two " invalids" as I like to call them. Lol

One recovering from knee surgery and then my sibling with the heart condition. She finally went out yesterday - to post office and then mass. I took them there also. The priest prayed over several people. Hope it helps her not be so anxious.

Tomorrow is the procedure. Have to get up so early -3:00! To be there by 5:30. It will take me days to recover from that. Forget the patient. What about me! Just kidding

Have a great day.

jckitty

Post by jckitty »

Good morning all,

Jackie, try taking a cup of sauce and heat it in a larger pan, add about 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda. Stir and it will probably foam up....taste for vinegar and continue adding soda in small amounts until you can tell the sour is gone. Adjust the rest, It will cause your sauce to taste somewhat sweet so adjust accordingly. The other thing is you could turn it into sloppy joes with the addition of brown sugar, mustard and such. Just a thought....hope it works out so you don't have to pitch it. :(

I slept pretty good last night, It is so cold this AM! I have already fed and watered the hens, brought wood in and am drinking more coffee. I have a list of things to do including riding my exercise bike, can't take a walk....too cold and icy :(

I have a closet that needs straightening , it always needs attention :? it's a front coat closet and tends to attract messiness.
Need 2 giftcards and Christmas shopping is done, need to bag and wrap but that can wait until closer to the day. I don't like packages under the tree because of the pets.
Maggie, good luck with your furnace....what a pain. But at least you don't have to pay to get it fixed.
Clem, good luck with your patients and patience.....you will need both :D
Have a great day all,
JCKitty

floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Hello all.

It is another super foggy morning here. It will likely burn off by late morning and be a nice day in the 70s.

I am somewhat recovered from my post-election depression. Still, of course, not at all happy but I'm glad to see our president-elect getting flack from all sides of the political spectrum. Karma.

Mom and I cut back her Meals on Wheels to three days a week so we are free to go out to lunch today. I did most errands yesterday but will stop at Publix for giftcards for the three regular MoW volunteers for Christmas.

This year our area has so, so many acorns, the most I have ever seen and mom says the same thing. I'm SO glad that this summer we had the neighbor's oak tree cut back over mom's front yard. But still there are a lot of acorns so I'll sweep the driveway and sidewalk. This has been going on for about a month.

I am really enjoying my Christmas tree. Every year I lament that I don't have a pre-lit one but I love my twinkle lights. I have three strands of twinkle lights and two strands of regular lights. I love it.

Have a good day.