What do you wish that you had done sooner for yourself?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
icfrugal1

What do you wish that you had done sooner for yourself?

Post by icfrugal1 »

Mine is small, I did not get my ears pierced until I was about 63. 8-)

I was born in 1950, my sister was born in 1949, she and her friends used the match, needle and ice cube method. :(

I was also afraid that they would be pierced off center from each other. Seems very silly now, I'm decades behind on earrings. ;)

In 12/15/2016 an garage door opener was talked of, my girl friend just got an garage door opener a month or two ago, she does not know why she waited so long.

Anything that you wished that you had done for yourself earlier, or anything that you are thinking of doing for yourself?

IC

colonialgirl

Re: What do you wish that you had done sooner for yourself?

Post by colonialgirl »

We went to a big screen tv. We never replace anything that is working ok and our old tv was fine - small but fine. But we decided to upgrade and are so glad we did. The sound is great and picture is so good. It is hard to dismiss the frugal mindset of using everything until it is completely worn out. But I think sometimes in life we need to treat ourselves to an upgrade. We are really enjoying it.

littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

IC,

#1 has to be my garage door opener also. The crazy thing is that I would never have gotten one if the squirrel hadn't gotten to my gas line on my vehicle. Lived in this house for 36 years and had never used the garage for the car and truck till the squirrel's decided to drink gasoline. LOL

Now I step out of my side den door into the garage, get into my car and never have to worry about whether I'm going to get soaking wet getting to the car or slip and fall on an ice patch on the patio. Love it.

#2 is my smooth countertop cook top. I like a clean stove and was forever washing the liner pans or buying new ones. I didn't like how aluminum foil looks on the pans to try and keep them clean so I was forever washing them. I bought a 36" Amana when I remodeled my kitchen in 2004 and with using the cleaner and being careful to not drag pans around on it, it still looks like brand new. I do clean it often, because it's actually easier than waiting a week or so to use the creme. I paid over $700.00 for it, but it's been worth every cent. The cleaner goes a long way and is actually cheaper than buying new liner pans.

11cats2beagles

Post by 11cats2beagles »

Mine is big - I think - depending on one's personal preferences and point of view. I was just discussing this with S.O. last evening.

I wish I had paid more attention to my career and career advancement at a younger age. At the same time, I do NOT regret devoting the majority of my energy to my children - but I feel like I could have done things differently and made BOTH areas of my life work better - at the time I felt I had to put one "on hold" for the other.

Now, with only someplace between 12 and 15 years left to work, it seems, in some ways, "too late" - although I am taking classes and working to advance in my department.

mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

11cats2beagles wrote:Mine is big - I think - depending on one's personal preferences and point of view. I was just discussing this with S.O. last evening.

I wish I had paid more attention to my career and career advancement at a younger age. At the same time, I do NOT regret devoting the majority of my energy to my children - but I feel like I could have done things differently and made BOTH areas of my life work better - at the time I felt I had to put one "on hold" for the other.

Now, with only someplace between 12 and 15 years left to work, it seems, in some ways, "too late" - although I am taking classes and working to advance in my department.
Brings me back to Sheryl Sandberg's Lean In. It got some bad press from people who obviously never read the entire book. One piece of advice she gives was for women to slow down before they have children. She says too many women don;t take on a challenging new role because they are thinking about kids. She says go hard until that baby is a reality. Then take the time you want and need buy knowing full-well that you have an engaging position to go back to. She does not advocate putting your career before your children.

clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Such a great question. I'm not sure what it would be. Maybe so many, I just can't pick one! Lol