Daily Check-in December 18, 2016

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
LogicsHere

Daily Check-in December 18, 2016

Post by LogicsHere »

Good morning all.

Was up early this morning (4:45); already did my shoulder therapy exercises and a little aerobic exercise to get myself in shape for the holiday activities I've got coming up the next 2 weeks. I have a Christmas party at our local hospital on Tuesday, my mom's holiday party on Wednesday, Christmas lunch with her, the celebration of December birthdays at the LTC facility on the 28th and their 'New Year's Bash' on the 30th.

Have been working on putting together a household organization binder. I've seen them all over the internet including Erin's printables. I've been wanting to create one for quite some time so I thought this year was going to be it.

Have the local news on and have been watching the stories on the holiday gift giving to the needy. I so want to contribute something this year. I learned that I still have time so I will get something and do that today since tomorrow is the deadline. They say they are looking for items for teens 13 - 18. I'm wondering if I can find something either at CVS or Walgreen's where the drop off is located. I don't want to donate money; I prefer giving an actual item that I picked out myself. I'm sure I'll come up with something.

We got 5 inches of snow yesterday, but the "unplowed" snow should be gone with the rain we're getting. It didn't go above freezing yesterday until about 3:00 so I did not go to visit my mother. I will be there today though.

Wishing you all a very happy day.
blondeinbuffalo

Re: Daily Check-in December 18, 2016

Post by blondeinbuffalo »

Good morning everyone! I have been busy and just wanted to check in.

all is going well. all christmas gifts purchased and wrapped and going to more social events this year. it has been fun. made turkey and dressing for dinner. dh and I love it and I am going to make a point of doing this once a month. such an easy meal. this time I used the bag and it was more moist and it browned up nicely too.

will be in budget for the year. have lots in the stockpiles to get us through this month and just need to get fresh produce. the turkey will make great leftover and makeovers for the week. actually it is cheaper and better than buying turkey from the deli.

looking forward to the holidays and spending lots of time with dh. hope all is going well with all of you! cj
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

Good Morning,

I went and had dinner with my support group. The Venue featured an appearance by "Santa's Goody bag band" A bunch of people who go around with instruments and voices to local taverns, playing music, sing-alongs and pass a bucket to raise $$ for Charity. I guess it differs each year. It was fun.

I am up early enough to go to 7:30 Mass. I still have a few crafty thing to work on. I may take my laundry to the laundromat and work on my craft there. Also today I want to make Buckeyes.

Have a good day,
Maggie
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Good morning. It is a great day if you are a polar bear. It is ( 6 F) with a wind chill of (-11 F). We have had freezing drizzle off and on the last couple of days.Friday was a nightmare and some schools in MO could not get the children home. They had to stay overnight at the school. Late last night they sent out a warning to prepare for power outages. So far so good. I am prepared but hope nothing happens. We had light snow last night..I love snow! Wish it would have happened while I was awake.

My heat pump died but I still have a furnace that works. A friend of mine called and said that she and her SO are giving me an open invitation to stay with them anytime I want to. They live in another state and and hour and a half away but at least I know I have back up if something should happen.

Not much going on here. Just puttering around. I hope to get my craft room organized and get in to serious crafting in 2017. My new caregiver is working out well. We get along well. The only thing wrong with her is she tries not to let me do things.. I got myself a cup of coffee the other day and she told me I should have asked her to get it. Nope! I told her you are here to help me not wait on me. So far I see 2017 as a new beginning and things are getting better. Janet Alliesmama

0 with a wind chill of -11F
Last edited by alliesmama4 on Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Janet Alliesmama
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

Feeling a bit better this morning after drinking loads of water (must up my water intake during the day) and getting a pretty good nights sleep. I still have a bit of a headache, but it is going away nicely.

Not much happening today. I will pack up my MFH Secret Santa gift to get it in the mail on Monday. I do hope I can find a box...... After Mass (love the Advent season) we will have brunch at home. Hubby always cooks us something on Sunday, usually bacon and eggs or an omelets.

I hope to do some extra cleaning today and straighten out the fridge. Then I can perhaps work on the cross stitch for an hour or two. I am getting closer to being done, but as usual over estimate how much I can stitch in a day. It will be early in the week by the time I get into the sewing/craft room to finish them off. I also want to sew up the cardigan I finished a few weeks ago. I seem to have this slight problem of knitting a whole bunch of items and instead of putting them together right away, save them up and do a bunch at once. I actually think I could have gone a size smaller in the cardi, but now I know for next time (quick knit so I may just make another one or two in colours not in my wardrobe).

The usual frugal habits will prevail here today. Meals cooked at home, using everything I can up, wearing out, and making do.

Supper this evening will be Roast beef, roast potatoes, and since I have Brussel sprouts I will do a mixture of veggies and roast them along side the beef.

Today I am grateful that the days will be getting longer soon.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa »

Glad you feel better Jackie.
Off to my parents for the day. Taking ham-potato casserole and I will make split pea soup & barley while I am there. They have someone else who can cook for them, but that person is from the Southwest and has entirely different tastes, grew up eating different food I suppose.

The weather is 56 degrees, rainy and windy. Very bizarre after freezing rain Saturday morning. At least driving won't be a problem.

See y'all tomorrow.