Reusable Cloth Grocery Bags

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
colonialgirl

Re: Reusable Cloth Grocery Bags

Post by colonialgirl »

I do most of my shopping at Aldi's - like 80%. But hit all of the stores for sales. If you don't have bags at Aldis you have to buy them - so I started carrying them in the car. I have to laugh about you all having trouble with baggers using them. None of our stores even have baggers any longer.

I understand about the price on those bags Heloise. I would never have them if they weren't given to me for a gift. Hubs ordered one of those years ago to take his work clothes and boots to and from the mines. Coal dust rots all fabric but those bags are so heavy duty, his lasted 35 years and is still in the garage. He went through a tote bag a per year before that.

I do wash mine with a scrub brush and soapy water and then rinse with the hose & set in the sun. They are too stiff and heavy for the washer. But they clean up easily. Like I said - wish I had a couple more. Maybe next Christmas.
BevMoore

Post by BevMoore »

I have reusable bags I have used for several years. They do wear out after awhile so I sometimes have to replace them. As of November 9th stores are required to charge ten cents per plastic (and I think paper) bags as a way to curb their use.

Bev
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

gaylejackson2 wrote:
LOl! I'm glad that I'm not the only one who gives instruction to the cashier or bag boy/girl on how i want my groceries bagged.
One bagger actually said to me: I put your eggs on the bottom so they'd be safe.

Ugh.

So now I always hold my eggs to be scanned last, and I take them back, until all my groceries are bagged and then I decide for myself where to put them. I buy the expensive eggs, so I don't trust anyone, anymore, LOL
ohjodi
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Jodi, I have seen baggers drop heavy things like cans on top of my grapes and pears, two items that don't take well to being banged up. As wonderful as the Kroger store was back home, it had the worst baggers and cashiers would manhandle the produce. Several times over the years, I had to tell the cashier, "You know, I have to eat that food after I take it home, so please stop slamming it around."

DS used to bag for me when we went shopping together because I am particular about how the bags are loaded, and he knew how to do it right.

Oddly enough, the grocery stores here are not as good as Kroger, but I've never had to say anything to a checker about mishandling the food.
Mackie
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Gayle, Foam packing peanuts will work too. They're less common than they used to be, but a mailing store might still have them.

DH had a huge bright red bean bag his uncle gave him for his 4th Christmas. He used it through the middle of high school, when he finally outgrew it. I kept the seams repaired with red duct tape and refilled it with foam packing peanuts about once a year.
Mackie
Heloise

Post by Heloise »

ColonialGirl. Just knowing the bags last and last helps justify the cost somewhat.

BevMoore. Maybe the .10 cent charge will help encourage shoppers to make the switch to reusable.

I've noticed that today's cashiers and grocery-packers/baggers don't hold a lick to packers/baggers of the 70's. Boy, back then checkout staff were on top of their game. They did it so speedily and efficiently, and everything was always so organized, and always paper bags back then.