Check in Jan. 7, 2017

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jens_Cats

Check in Jan. 7, 2017

Post by Jens_Cats »

Good morning, all.

I'm up super-early, because I woke up at 4:00 and couldn't get back to sleep. I laid in bed until 5:00 and finally gave in. I was SUPPOSED to be getting up at 6:00 anyway, because I have to work today.

Work will take up most of my day, so there's not much else to report.

I didn't get the mac n cheese made yesterday, because on top of working on the basement, D is sick, so I had to cater to him all day. Then I build a fire, which I had trouble getting to burn. I was just too worn out. I'll probably make it tomorrow. Tonight will be leftovers.

Happy Saturday!
Jen M, WV
Sage Alley: My green/simple living blog:
http://sagealley.blogspot.com
Shelsmiles

Re: Check in Jan. 7, 2017

Post by Shelsmiles »

Good frozen morning, Jen. I, too am up early. Mostly because the fire went out and needed to be fed. It's been really cold this week after being spoiled with a very mild fall and winter to this point.

DH and FIL are set to make a run to the dump today. That ought to take up most of their morning hopefully. There's a little bit of work left to be done in the barn but it's mostly finished. Momma goat is insode and we have our meat chickens in the brooder pen. I'm hoping DH will get some things done inside that have been needing done since he has been so busy with his dads place and the barn. I don't have much but could use him for an afternoon.

Deer processing is done for now. We have 85 packages of burger put up, some stew meat and some nice steaks. We made about 100 pounds of smoked pork garlic sausage over Christmas break and now all that is left is to process a hog and of course make Italian sausage. Beef won't be ready for several months yet and chickens will feed out until the end of February. As cold as it is, none of my hens are laying right now. I can't say that I blame them. Lol.

All meals will be from home today. Breakfast will be seven grain pays with blueberries, lunch will be the last of the chicken and wild rice soup I made and dinner just might be a nice pot of chili and a pan of Honey corn bread. I am going to do some meal prep today for the upcoming week. I love the Buddha bowls everyone is posting about so I'm going to try a recipe for that as well. I am going to do some chicken for salads and I dunno what else quite yet.

DS wrestled in the National Duals this week. Two very nice performances with first period pins. Very nice boost for his confidence. He had a good time but was a bit miffed at a teammate who he felt "gave up" and got pinned. I understand why- it lost their team the dual and the kid had been dominating the match to that point. He's very competitive.

DD will be spending her day cleaning her room without herPhone. She needs to do the dog yard again as she only half did it the other day when she was asked. Her room is a nightmare and she will undoubtedly want her boyfriend to come out. I'm not really feeling it.

As soon as there is enough light to get started I will stack wood on the porch. We are about out and the weather won't get warm for a couple more days.i am not really looking forward to that particular chore. It's so cold and I'm so not excited to go out in it!

Hope everyone has a great day!
Jens_Cats

Post by Jens_Cats »

UPDATE: (Yes, already!)

I had an inkling that I should check the weather this morning, so I did shortly after I posted my Check In. DC area is under a Winter Weather Advisory and expecting 1-3" with "travel impacts." That makes me disinclined to go down there, so I have emailed and texted my client. There may be a way for me to do what I was going to do today remotely. I'm hoping it doesn't affect our working relationship, but they need to understand that I travel about two hours both ways, so I really can't risk getting into an accident or getting stranded down there, especially with D being sick.

I should have left a half hour ago, but I'm waiting for her to get back to me. I don't THINK it will be a problem, but I feel badly.

It's not doing anything here, and we're just expecting flurries/minimal accumulation here. It's REALLY cold, though! The dogs have already been out and did not stay out for more than about 1/2 hour.

If I don't work (I probably will,) I'll just putter and work on maintenance chores and decluttering. It's my intention not to go anywhere today. Being outside is REALLY unpleasant! LOL!

This also means I'll make my mac n cheese for tonight. It's a good day for it.

Jen M.
Sage Alley: My green/simple living blog:
http://sagealley.blogspot.com
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Freezing here in south Texas. Didn't make it out of the 30s yesterday. This morning it is 20 degrees. I read that this is the coldest it has been in 6 years.

We had a very mild winter last year.

The sun should be out and it will warm up to 70 by Monday. Hope so. It's cold!

Have a great day.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

We are once again headed into some dreadfully cold weather, and when it warms up a bit we will be getting bits of snow. Really not nice at all, and I think I forgot to plug in the block heater on the vehicle, which means venturing out sometime and plugging it in (car would probably have a bit of difficulty starting today). I am sure glad I was out and about on one of our only nice days this week.

Frugality wise today will be like most days around here. Meals will be made here at home, if it is sunny the drapes will be opened to take advantage of that fact, bread will be baked, household chores will be done, and I may brave the cold if my friend phones to go the half a block outside and have coffee with her.

I hope to complete at least one project today (if I am lucky two will get done), and do a bit more decluttering in the sewing/craft room. I may look up some more simple sweater patterns so I can use up a bit more of my stash. Then again the baby yarns seem to be calling out to me, and one never knows when a new baby is coming in the family..... A blanket for baby could be in order. That would keep me busy for a longer period of time, and use up lots of yarn.

Slowly but surely the sweets from Christmas are disappearing. I think that perhaps next year a few things will be missing from the usual suspects. The butter tarts did not go over well this year at all, so perhaps something else that will should go in it's place.

Supper this evening is going to be meatloaf, mashed potatoes (have some leftover that mixed with onion will be just enough) and peas.

Today I am grateful for all my gadgets that make life a bit easier.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

Good Morning everyone,

Went to a performance of music at a local Church. One of the ladies in the Church group sings in that Choir and she invited the group to her house afterwards. There were about a dozen of us. It was nice. I decided I needed to go out in spite of the cold.

I think my interview went well. There were 2 interviewers. I forgot the name of the lady, but did write a thank you note to the guy who's name I had. I dropped it off at the post office just as they were collecting mail from the box at the psot office. So hopefully it will arrive Monday.

At Noon is DGS's birthday party. I will take some ice cream. It will also be the first time EH and I have been face to face since I moved out. We have talked on the phone and texted. Then he leaves for the airport and will be gone for 2 weeks. DS2 has an academic team tournament today. So I will see him later and he will be with me for the next 2 weeks. I need to go to the grocery and stock up on foods for DS.

Have a great day,
Maggie