Check in Jan. 7, 2017

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Heloise

Re: Check in Jan. 7, 2017

Post by Heloise »

alliesmama4 wrote:I am feeding them the black sunflower seeds. And a mix of wild bird feed bought in bulk from the Farm and Home store. It looks like millet, black sunflower seeds and other small seeds that I am not aware of what they are. Also there is cracked corn in there as well as safflower seeds. I also have a suet block out there. I have a variety of birds..Woodpecker, cardinals, blue jays, chickadees, sparrows and some newer birds I am still trying to identify.

I am wondering if you put water out for your birds? They say you should but they never drink it. I put it out a little on the warmer side since it is so cold here but they do not go near it and right now all of the lakes and ponds are frozen. Nice to find a fellow birder. Janet Alliesmama
When it comes to water and birds, they are most attracted to the sound of trickling or bubbling water, so one of those miniature water fountains or water features are the answer. Many birds melt snow in their beaks, so no external water source is required, however, for the varieties that don't, we have a small electric dog dish that we fill with small polished rocks and then top-off with water, that way the birds can step right into the dish, stand on the stones and drink.
BevMoore

Post by BevMoore »

Good morning!
Today is the day the storm of the decade is supposed to make its appearance. It started raining very late last night after I went to bed. It is rainy but not raining hard yet. I will be building a fire in a bit. I'm glad I picked up those Duraflame logs at Sam's club yesterday....much cheaper than at the store even when on sale.

Still housework to be done. I had planned on doing it yesterday but got sidetracked by taking DD to Sam's Club. Well worth it for some girlie time.

Not sure what we will be eating yet...lots in the fridge to choose from!

Bev
BeckyO

Post by BeckyO »

Morning Y'All,

What a beautiful day. The sun is pouring thru my window. Not a speck of snow in sight. None predicted, but it is well below freezing out there. I'm not going anywhere, today.
Tomorrow, maybe.

I forced myself to stay up yesterday evening and went to bed at a good time. I feel much better , today. Confident I can make my doctor appointment , tomorrow at 3. Tues's apt is 8 am which means me up by 6 am, that may throw my week into turmoil again.

I have dishes and hand laundry in soak. I swept a small area of the LR and kitchen. I dressed and took my meds. I will need to refill my med containers either today or tomorrow. I did get out more syringes. They come in different size packs so run out before or after my meds.

My eyesight is giving me problems, today. The "good" eye is blurry in spots. I do have an opthalmology appointment coming up. . Other than that I feel good.

Potluck lunch will be this coming Wed. I'm trying to decide what to make/take. Yesterday I did some web surfing on Recipe Lion. They have some interesting recipes. Some I think I can rework for one (me) using some shortcuts, ie canned ingredients instead of fresh.

I know the taste won't be the sane, maybe not as good, but it is the only way I will get those recipes done. For example fresh beets. I do like those, but seldom see them and if i bought them they might not get cooked on time. I often change my mind about what I am cooking depending on how I feel and my energy level.

But I still don't know what Wed's dish will be, LOL Shels, I miss the days of cooking for a family. Your efforts are great.

My DD#1 is beginning, but her family is grown and gone, so she shares with us. She also still holds a full time job, which she would love to shed to be more like you : ) They have had the farm about a year now, have the blueprints and permits for the house but that's it : )

Off to take advantage of the energy (mine) provided by the sun to get housework done,
Stay warm,
BeckyO
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Heloise wrote:
alliesmama4 wrote:I am feeding them the black sunflower seeds. And a mix of wild bird feed bought in bulk from the Farm and Home store. It looks like millet, black sunflower seeds and other small seeds that I am not aware of what they are. Also there is cracked corn in there as well as safflower seeds. I also have a suet block out there. I have a variety of birds..Woodpecker, cardinals, blue jays, chickadees, sparrows and some newer birds I am still trying to identify.

I am wondering if you put water out for your birds? They say you should but they never drink it. I put it out a little on the warmer side since it is so cold here but they do not go near it and right now all of the lakes and ponds are frozen. Nice to find a fellow birder. Janet Alliesmama
When it comes to water and birds, they are most attracted to the sound of trickling or bubbling water, so one of those miniature water fountains or water features are the answer. Many birds melt snow in their beaks, so no external water source is required, however, for the varieties that don't, we have a small electric dog dish that we fill with small polished rocks and then top-off with water, that way the birds can step right into the dish, stand on the stones and drink.
What a clever idea about the heated electric dog waster dish. Our Farm and Home store is having a sale and one of the items is the electric dog water dish..I do have electrical outlets on the deck where I could plug one in. I live about 10 miles from the winter nesting area of the American eagle. Many times we see them flying overhead. As well as falcons and owls.. I am very lucky to live here to be able to enjoy so many lovely creatures. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
Heloise

Post by Heloise »

alliesmama4 wrote:What a clever idea about the heated electric dog waster dish. Our Farm and Home store is having a sale and one of the items is the electric dog water dish..I do have electrical outlets on the deck where I could plug one in. I live about 10 miles from the winter nesting area of the American eagle. Many times we see them flying overhead. As well as falcons and owls.. I am very lucky to live here to be able to enjoy so many lovely creatures. Janet Alliesmama
I like to think birds don't require the level of hydrating over the course of the winter months as they do throughout the warmer months of the year (similar to us), and even though we seldom see any birds drinking from our offering, rest assured, those who are thirsty do stop-by for a sip.

If you do decide on an electric dog dish, you can always add a miniature water feature to the dish afterwards, and be sure to have a large area of the inner dish itself filled with small rocks or stones so the birds can safely step inside to drink without risking wetting their feathers or wings.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Heloise wrote:
alliesmama4 wrote:What a clever idea about the heated electric dog waster dish. Our Farm and Home store is having a sale and one of the items is the electric dog water dish..I do have electrical outlets on the deck where I could plug one in. I live about 10 miles from the winter nesting area of the American eagle. Many times we see them flying overhead. As well as falcons and owls.. I am very lucky to live here to be able to enjoy so many lovely creatures. Janet Alliesmama
I like to think birds don't require the level of hydrating over the course of the winter months as they do throughout the warmer months of the year (similar to us), and even though we seldom see any birds drinking from our offering, rest assured, those who are thirsty do stop-by for a sip.

If you do decide on an electric dog dish, you can always add a miniature water feature to the dish afterwards, and be sure to have a large area of the inner dish itself filled with small rocks or stones so the birds can safely step inside to drink without risking wetting their feathers or wings.
Thank you for the advise.. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama