Daily Check In January 13

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
chocolite

Re: Daily Check In January 13

Post by chocolite »

MackerelCat wrote:Oh, Patty, I am so sorry about Chance. {{{HUGS}}} I hope your DH makes peace with the idea very soon.

We were guilty of keeping our old Welsh corgi going far too long because he was DS's dog, the beloved friend of his childhood, and we just couldn't let him go. He was "telling" us it was time to go and we kept trying to prop him up. When his pain got to be unbearable, he savagely bit DH one night, bad enough to send him to urgent care to get the bloody punctures seen to. And I swear, the dog looked at us with an expression that clearly said, "Did you hear me that time?" The next morning, we had him put to sleep. We have kicked ourselves ever since for making him suffer those extra months.
Chance has snapped at both of us, which he never, ever does. I have a very strong feeling that it needs to be soon. What I don't want and what I told DH I don't want is for us to have to do it this weekend or over any weekend, with a strange vet at an emergency clinic, instead of with our vet who knows us, knows Chance, and whom Chance knows and loves. So if it ends up happening this weekend I will be really upset. And pissed.
Patty
ownedbydogs

Post by ownedbydogs »

MackerelCat wrote:Shelia, I am so happy to hear of Hope's dramatic turn toward recovery and getting her back home! I was thinking about you and her and sending up little prayers for strength this morning while cuddling a very wiggly puppy of my own.

My day off is going to consist of the usual: laundry, housecleaning, dog wrangling, and making a grocery list. Possibly actually going shopping for groceries.

We are having "January thaw," in which it's now 60 degrees after last weekend's snow and ice, so I'm going to make sure the dogs spend a lot of time outside.

DS has been sick with that coughing virus that's going around and has worked only one day this week, poor guy. His dad and I are still unscathed, thank goodness!

Hope everyone has a lovely frugal and healthy day.
. Hope you don't get the virus dh and I are slowly getting over it now dd and family have it is vicious
rinty

Post by rinty »

chocolite wrote:
MackerelCat wrote:Oh, Patty, I am so sorry about Chance. {{{HUGS}}} I hope your DH makes peace with the idea very soon.

We were guilty of keeping our old Welsh corgi going far too long because he was DS's dog, the beloved friend of his childhood, and we just couldn't let him go. He was "telling" us it was time to go and we kept trying to prop him up. When his pain got to be unbearable, he savagely bit DH one night, bad enough to send him to urgent care to get the bloody punctures seen to. And I swear, the dog looked at us with an expression that clearly said, "Did you hear me that time?" The next morning, we had him put to sleep. We have kicked ourselves ever since for making him suffer those extra months.
Chance has snapped at both of us, which he never, ever does. I have a very strong feeling that it needs to be soon. What I don't want and what I told DH I don't want is for us to have to do it this weekend or over any weekend, with a strange vet at an emergency clinic, instead of with our vet who knows us, knows Chance, and whom Chance knows and loves. So if it ends up happening this weekend I will be really upset. And pissed.

(((hugs))) Patti re poor old Chance, I remember pictures you posted of him on your blog with him wearing a bandana I think.

You;ve thought it through and it must be horrendous, you're very brave.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Good afternoon all

Sunny and humid. Think it will hit 80 degrees.

I am tired but in a good way. Had a good exercise class last night and good volunteer thing this morning.

Now I'm relaxing and doing laundry.

Poor little Chance. The COD had a hard time when Ralfie had to cross the bridge.
chocolite

Post by chocolite »

rinty wrote: (((hugs))) Patti re poor old Chance, I remember pictures you posted of him on your blog with him wearing a bandana I think.

You;ve thought it through and it must be horrendous, you're very brave.
Not brave, Rinty. I just feel like Chance is telling us it's time. It will be hard and heartbreaking and I'll be a basket case, but it's the kindest act. We had to do this years ago with a cat I loved beyond words. But looking back, we did it the right way - with me holding him and DH petting him and both of us telling him he was the best kitty ever and we will love him always. And that's what I want Chance to have. Not days, weeks, and months of suffering.

Hope you and yours are doing well.
Patty
rinty

Post by rinty »

Bless little Ralfie, Clem, he always sounded like the loveliest dog.

We have a border collie now, but didn't have pets for years because of DS. Hes lovely but a bit thick, this breed is supposed to be hyper intelligent. Hes a rescue dog and lost both his previous owners who were very elderly...........so now if DH even coughs he is right there checking him out " Are you okay , Master, I'm here for you !" Can't imagine being without him now.

DH is having a bout of cellulitus and the dog is staking him out, he did not leave his side all the time I was at work. He is like Greyfriars Bobby if anyone knows that story ? We reckon he was like this with his previous owners.

Got home, warmed up, cos its snowy and COLD and all schoolchildren want to be OUTSIDE when its like this so all we suckers have to be outside too.....went to collect DH meds and they had some for me I hadn't collected so BONUS. I prepay so no cost today. I get 5 meds for £10.40 a month ( I have Ulcerative colitis ) I walked to another supermarket as I had walked to the doctors and checked out any yellow stickers. It was mainly fish but they had El Paso kits all at £1 so I bought 2 for DS29 who wanted to come round and stock up /learn how to make easy meals. I have containers of pulled pork ready made and will do a Bolognese meat sauce and a nice rich cheese sauce too. That can be used for lasagne or enchiladas, mac and cheese, whatever. His family is him, his fiancé and their little girl..................

Grandbaby duty tomorrow, I did suggest taking them swimming but I wasn't expecting snow..............heres hoping they all forgot, eh ???? Especially as DH is poorly.

I need to tempt DH with food so tomorrow he is getting kippers for breakfast !

Edited to add.

You are good Patti, knowing exactly what will be best. You are being so kind to him and being his advocate with DH. When I was still living at home we had those little terriers, a west highland white and a black scottie from puppies. I could not bear it when we lost them, we kept the scottie too long, he had diabetes. I think that is also part of the reason I was so against having dogs with my own children......they are surprised we got our dog npw.