My news...

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Sandy

My news...

Post by Sandy »

I was told today that I'm diabetic and I'm sort of devastated.

*edited for spelling

littlemiss63

Re: My news...

Post by littlemiss63 »

Sandy, I am so sorry. How serious are you? So much of the time it can be controlled with diet and I hope that is your case. My sister and brother are both diabetic and I am the oldest of the three and so far have escaped it, don't know how. My husband was a diabetic, but he was able to control his with oral meds and never took insulin before he died. Brother controls his with meds, but sis is on insulin and oral meds.

You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Sandy

Post by Sandy »

littlemiss63 wrote:Sandy, I am so sorry. How serious are you? So much of the time it can be controlled with diet and I hope that is your case. My sister and brother are both diabetic and I am the oldest of the three and so far have escaped it, don't know how. My husband was a diabetic, but he was able to control his with oral meds and never took insulin before he died. Brother controls his with meds, but sis is on insulin and oral meds.

My doctor drew blood for a Chem 8 last Thursday (new doctor, first visit, no fasting or other preparation) about 3 pm. She called this afternoon and said my A1C was 13 and my blood sugar was 326. I'll start on Metformin tonight after I eat and take it twice a day after breakfast and dinner.

My previous doctor (closed his practice 12-31-16) after his wife was diagnosed with Leukemia had done my last Chem 8 in 2015 and my A1C was at 5 so, hopefully, there's no long term damage.

Thank you so much for your prayers, LM.

Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

My friend has had very good luck with metformin, wishing you the best possible outcome.

Sandy

Post by Sandy »

Jackielou wrote:My friend has had very good luck with metformin, wishing you the best possible outcome.
Thanks, Jackie.

icfrugal1

Post by icfrugal1 »

Sandy wrote:
littlemiss63 wrote:Sandy, I am so sorry. How serious are you? So much of the time it can be controlled with diet and I hope that is your case. My sister and brother are both diabetic and I am the oldest of the three and so far have escaped it, don't know how. My husband was a diabetic, but he was able to control his with oral meds and never took insulin before he died. Brother controls his with meds, but sis is on insulin and oral meds.

My doctor drew blood for a Chem 8 last Thursday (new doctor, first visit, no fasting or other preparation) about 3 pm. She called this afternoon and said my A1C was 13 and my blood sugar was 326. I'll start on Metformin tonight after I eat and take it twice a day after breakfast and dinner.

My previous doctor (closed his practice 12-31-16) after his wife was diagnosed with Leukemia had done my last Chem 8 in 2015 and my A1C was at 5 so, hopefully, there's no long term damage.

Thank you so much for your prayers, LM.
I understand :( I was diagnosed Feb 2016, I was so depressed, thinking that I was dying :-) I already had my will and trust, but I started thinking of things that I still needed to do.

In Feb 2016 A1C was 14!!! and my avg was 355!!! Last time I tested in nov 2016 my A1C was 5.7 and my avg was 117.

It's about not panicking and watching what you eat and exercising.

I use Nutrisystem for breakfast, snack , lunch and Trubo shake Watching what I eat the rest of the day

I'm on Metformin also. I test 4 times and day and take my Metformin 4 times a day.

My DH has been a type 2 for 40 years and he help me work out the schedule for me.

I walk BB (our dog) 3 times a day and I get on the treadmill at least 5 days week, I am living a very normal life.

But I understand your panic, you will be fine, I promise.

At one point before DH insisted I go in to the hospital he tested me on his meter at 600, I had my blood test that day.

We knew something was wrong because I was losing weight while eating everything and anything, when DH saw pants falling off me he made me test.

It's day by day, but it's doable.

I'm here for you. <3

IC