My news...

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
icfrugal1

Re: My news...

Post by icfrugal1 »

Sandy, I'm so happy to hear that you are doing well 8-) :lol: :D

It sounds like you and I are lucky, that we were diagnosed in time and are able to take care of ourselves.

IC

Sandy

Post by Sandy »

icfrugal1 wrote:Sandy, I'm so happy to hear that you are doing well 8-) :lol: :D

It sounds like you and I are lucky, that we were diagnosed in time and are able to take care of ourselves.

IC
Extremely lucky! As high as my A1C and blood sugar was back at the end of January, I feel blessed not to have had a stroke or a heart attack. It's kind of a science experiment, lol, trying "new" foods. My latest is a low carb pasta (17 net carbs for a 1.5 cup serving, which, to me, is quite a lot). Top with 1/2 cup sauce and a couple of meatballs for another 8-9 carbs and, with a large green salad, it's a very filling meal that lasts for hours.

BevMoore

Post by BevMoore »

Hi,
It's been over two years since I was diagnosed with type 2 and so far I have been able to control it with diet and exercise (mainly exercise) However the past two weeks I have started converting over to a plant based way of eating. I have struggled with diets and weight all of my life and I am sick and tired of it. Tired of counting this and counting that. Tired of restrictions. My daughter started taking a nutrition class in January and really got into the vegan way of eating. She says it is helping her feel better. While I was visiting her I started buying the foods and a couple of cook books. I like the freedom of being able to eat when I want and not feeling hungry or deprived. I will gradually use up the meats I have which is fine since it will take longer to get DS to this way of eating. The difficulty I am running into now is trying to find the time to do all this cooking from recipes. But I will plug along. I may or may not lose a bunch of weight. At this point in my life I don't care. If everything else checks out good in six months then I will be satisfied.

Bev
Last edited by BevMoore on Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sandy

Post by Sandy »

BevMoore wrote:Hi,
It's been over two years since I was diagnosed with type 2 and so far I have been able to control it with diet and exercise (mainly exercise) However the past two weeks I have started converting over to a plant based way of eating. I have struggle with diets and weight all of my life and I am sick and tired of it. Tired of counting this and counting that. Tired of restrictions. My daughter started taking a nutrition class in January and really got into the vegan way of eating. She says it is helping her feel better. While I was visiting her I started buying the foods and a couple of cook books. I like the freedom of being able to eat when I want and not feeling hungry or deprived. I will gradually use up the meats I have which is fine since it will take linger to get DS to this way of eating. The difficulty I am running into now is trying to find the time to do all this cooking from recipes. But I will plug along. I may or may not lose a bunch of weight. At this point in my life I don't care. If everything else checks out good in six months then I will be satisfied.

Bev
I agree with you completely! If a vegan lifestyle allows you to feel good, be healthy and satisfied...I say go for it. Being on a schedule takes planning, that's for sure, and often gets in the way of just living your life.

I plan meals five days at a time and try to choose things that can be substituted if I happen to be out of pocket. One thing I've come to realize (with myself, anyway) is that as long as I test on schedule (every six hours now) and know what my blood sugar is, waiting 30-60 minutes to eat doesn't seem to have an affect.

BevMoore

Post by BevMoore »

At age 66 my calorie burner is almost dead. I am able to burn 1600 calories a day and that's it. A couple of hundred more when I work doing yard duty. It seems like every thing you pick up has a lot of calories, so much that it would be impossible for me to get sufficient nutrients a day without getting sick etc. When you look at it only being able to eat 1600 calories a day is not much at all:( Since I started drinking a supplement twice a day at the end of November I have done better and am comfortable I am getting the nutrients I need. So discouraging since I know my body will keep burning few calories as I get older.

I decided at the end of six months I am going through my closet and toss everything that I cannot get in to. I figure if plant based eating cannot get me into what I have then it will never happen. However it looks like in the long run eating plant based will be cheaper so the money saved can go to fund my new (and large sized) wardrobe. I am obese but not morbidly obese and my mission is to stop creeping weight gain in it tracks.

Every morning I mix a fruit and veggie smoothie and include my supplements, chia seeds, a few T of yogurt, almond milk. It's delicious and I look forward to it each morning!

Bev

Sandy

Post by Sandy »

BevMoore wrote:At age 66 my calorie burner is almost dead. I am able to burn 1600 calories a day and that's it. A couple of hundred more when I work doing yard duty. It seems like every thing you pick up has a lot of calories, so much that it would be impossible for me to get sufficient nutrients a day without getting sick etc. When you look at it only being able to eat 1600 calories a day is not much at all:( Since I started drinking a supplement twice a day at the end of November I have done better and am comfortable I am getting the nutrients I need. So discouraging since I know my body will keep burning few calories as I get older.

I decided at the end of six months I am going through my closet and toss everything that I cannot get in to. I figure if plant based eating cannot get me into what I have then it will never happen. However it looks like in the long run eating plant based will be cheaper so the money saved can go to fund my new (and large sized) wardrobe. I am obese but not morbidly obese and my mission is to stop creeping weight gain in it tracks.

Every morning I mix a fruit and veggie smoothie and include my supplements, chia seeds, a few T of yogurt, almond milk. It's delicious and I look forward to it each morning!

Bev
I have the same breakfast (a serving of oatmeal with a few walnuts and a slice of whole grain toast) and lunch (a turkey or chicken sandwich on whole grain, sometimes with a side of a 1/4 cup chow mein noodles if I want something that "feels" like chips and crunches - low in carbs and, eaten one at a time, lasts with the sandwich). Then I plan dinner in order to be able to share with my family, so they have a full meal, and I add in extra vegetables for myself. My bedtime snack, if I have one, is sugar-free Jello with a few slices of peach.

Not sexy but, these days I eat because I'm empty, not because any particular food sounds like a party, lol.