Daily Check in Sept 23, 2015

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
itspennyc

Re: Daily Check in Sept 23, 2015

Post by itspennyc »

ood morning fellow frugalites

Up early (a bit earlier than usual) as we head to the big city for Hubby to have his surgery this morning. Hopefully we are in and out in no time whatsoever.

Off to wake Hubby up, talk to you all when we get home later today.

Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/

I hope the surgery goes well.

{{{{{Hugs}}}}}

Penny

rinty

Post by rinty »

Hey Guys,

Maggie, I hope you can relax and get your mind in neutral. It will be whirring around just with DS taking his driving test, to be fair , never mind work stuff. Sometimes we overthink things (((hugs))) anyway.

Jackie, hope all goes well for DH and he gets the treatment he needs.

Hoping both you Catholic ladies enjoy the Popes visit too.

Bit annoyed today. I had my day planned ( wasn't booked for work, so was going to Job Centre ) and then was going to Paint That Kitchen. DH knows this, he is also on at me to change jobs............my phone rings its work calling me in. I ignore it cos................hey I have plans and no one is going to drop dead if they can't get hold of me. DH frets to the max. Phone rings 10 mins later.......DH still fretting so I answer it and end up coming in ............not really needed and a spare part in 3 classes. POINTLESS and I can now NOT go to the job centre as it will be shut by the time I get there.

Retired men. I am Just Sayin'.............

Anyway, prior to going in, I got to the large tub of green tomatoes which have now all turned red and turned them into stewed toms flavoured with our own herbs..........so the house smells nice. Enough toms were perfect as salad toms so they are now in the fridge, yay and the there is a bowlful which are a bit mushy so I will cook something this week and use them. the humongous batch of stewed toms got bagged up in individual bags for the freezer. Also did a load of wahsinga nd got it hanging on racks and a further load that I have hung now I'm back. So Domestic Stuff is done...............also dealt with a few niggly bits. Tried to clear a slow draining shower, wiped the floor in the garage...........boring and niggly.

DH has made a stab at the kitchen but not got a lot done. ((((FRUSTRATION, it boils ))))

I stopped by a charity shop on the way home from work, I had seen they were having a sale. I got 4 good books for a £1. They had a lot of good childrens clothes which is always nice to see, I had wanted a set of 3 pictures for the wall near the stairs but nuthin' appealed. Then popped into a newsagents and bought a Snickers, co sits been that kind of day. I bought DH a choccy bar too, though cos I am nice ; )

Poached haddock, boiled potatoes and spring greens for dinner.

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Good morning everyone. I have been busy working on food at home.. Trying to cook more from scratch from emergency stockpile. I have a ton of pears on my one remaining tree so I have been looking for recipes to make things..Thanks Erin for the wonderful pear recipes you posted..I cut 10 pears off of the tree to give to my DB and his wife to eat fresh. This may be the last year for this tree. It has fire blight, a bacterial infection, due to the wet spring and summer we had. I will try to work with it when the pears are gone and the weather is colder..The infection can be easily spread so I have to be careful. My smaller pear tree has already died. I am hoping that my apple tree will be safe..They say that this infection can wipe out an entire commercial apple or pear orchard in one season. I have grown up on a farm and been around orchards all my life and I have never seen this problem before. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama

gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

happy Autumn Everyone!

What's with the Russian post in Chat room?

I'm just plugging along with doing a bit of canning each day. I'm starting to dislike apples, plums, pears, vegetables, and jam. ;) I wish I could find an easy cucumber pickle recipe for small batches so that I could use up my few cucs too.

My computer is acting up, sometimes I think its the monitor and sometimes it all stops. I almost want to blame the ccleaner thing that hubby downloaded, as its been acting funny ever since then.

I tried to go return a too-small dress yesterday, I was told, "Sorry its been red-lined;" then they stared at me. Well I'll either try to re-sell it on a Fb yard-sale site or cut it down dress for dd4.

No spend today, unless I get milk after my boys are out of school. In fact, I'm hoping to spend nothing (other than milk) until Dh's payday on Friday.

Speaking of Dh, at his Dr appt last Thursday he was told he needs surgery promptly in order to save his arm, so that will likely happen tomorrow. *sigh* I wonder if I can beg someone to make me dinner for a few days while I deal with Mr Grumpy (because he's going to be pretty darn miserable for several weeks, if his reaction this time is like his last arm/shoulder surgery 8 years ago).

Well, I should go do some laundry, wash filled jam jars (and haul them to food room), eat lunch, feed whiny girls, or maybe I'll just go hide with a book.

I'm kinda grumpy today too, I ache so much all over and my allergies are driving me crazy. There's a storm passing through to the south, no clouds here, but I can FEEL the barometric pressure just the same. :(

Okay, I'm going to find some food, and re-heat my tea (I forgot about it).

MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Janet, I saw a recipe the other day for tutti-frutti jam that's mostly pears but has a chopped orange, 3/4 cup of crushed pineapple and 1/4 cup of marischino cherries added. It sounded great and would look so pretty in the jars.

Rinty, can you just turn your phone to silent so that DH won't be jumping at the gate like an old racehorse every time the school calls?

Our older dog, who has been sick with an ear infection, is finally feeling better today and ate all her food for the first time in a week. She has long ears from her dachshund mother, but had never had problems with her ears until now. Next time she gets cranky and goes off her feed, I'm checking her ears first instead of assuming she's just gone extra-moody on us. (She is a rather moody dog under regular circumstances.)
Mackie

gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

Jackielou wrote:Good morning fellow frugalites

Up early (a bit earlier than usual) as we head to the big city for Hubby to have his surgery this morning. Hopefully we are in and out in no time whatsoever.

Off to wake Hubby up, talk to you all when we get home later today.

Jackie
Jackie,

I hope your hubby's surgery goes well. I don't know much about what is going on but I hope he recovers quickly.

Gayle