What Are Your Frugal Mantras ?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
ohjodi

Re: What Are Your Frugal Mantras ?

Post by ohjodi »

"If I could not buy this......what would I use, instead?"

fancy orange marmalade............I still have blackberry jam at home.

Book or magazine..........use the library,

new wool socks...........I already have four pair

hungry for fast food........I'll be home in fifteen minutes, or if not, just spend $2.

bacon...........I remember that I do have sausage and ham in the freezer.....or decide to not eat breakfast meat at all for a week or so.

New sheets or blanket........give all my bedding a good hot wash and spring-clean all around the bed, maybe use the guest room blanket, instead. Old bedding is super-comfy when it's all super-fresh.
ohjodi

colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl »

When tempted to eat out I try and remember "I can make this better and way cheaper at home.

ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

colonialgirl wrote:When tempted to eat out I try and remember "I can make this better and way cheaper at home.
Yes, I try to remember that, too.

I like to order something that I would not cook at home.
ohjodi

BevMoore

Post by BevMoore »

FIFO....First In First Out. An accounting term I learned long ago. I use this concept for my freezer and pantry storage. Now that I have a running list of what is here I go through it each day and pull the older items to be used and cross them off of my list as I use them. Newer items get added at the end. I have a nice variety of foods. I love to grocery shop the bargains so I am always stocking up on something but it may not get used right away. Right now I am going through and working on using up the tail end of my 2016 inventory.

Bev

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Live within your means and inside your seams.

littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

When you love what you have, you have everything you need.

If I don't love something I don't buy it and that has made me keep things for a long time. I have the first original bedroom suite in my guest bedroom that DH and I bought the first year we were married. It is solid walnut and with the exception of a few scratches here and there it's still in beautiful shape. I could have it refinished and who knows one day I may do it, but I still love it as much as I did the day we purchased it.

I have a round back chair in my master bedroom that has been recovered twice, but the framework is still as sturdy as it can be, it was a first year of marriage chair, 56 years ago. It's covered in a white crushed velvet and when that wears out, I will have it reupholstered.

I am the same way about clothes, I have classic Kasper suits that are 20 years old and are still beautiful and in style. When you take care of your things it's amazing how long they last.

I have my original china, several pieces of my original Wearever Cookware. It's hard for me to part with my stuff. You can tell can't you? LOL