Do you tip for a take-out order?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
SandiSAHM

Do you tip for a take-out order?

Post by SandiSAHM »

Do you tip if you call to place an order from a nice restaurant and pick it up to go?

Having a philosophical discussion with a friend who's mad at her DH for tipping on a pick up order with the same % he would if they went in and sat down. She believes take-out is a way to save $ by NOT tipping.

mbrudnic

Re: Do you tip for a take-out order?

Post by mbrudnic »

Someone has to take the order, make sure it is fulfilled and package it up. I really haven't done it much. I am also not good to think about tipping, but I would think a small tip, maybe up to 10% would be good.

IMHO, carryout saves you from paying for drinks and not getting roped into dessert.

clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Of course!

littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

Definitely, I would. If she is such a cheapskate by not tipping why not just prepare her meals at home? Poor hubby, he probably feels like he can't do anything right.

icfrugal1

Post by icfrugal1 »

I don't do take out, but I do go to restaurants where you order at a counter and get your own drink etc., and they deliver to your table and I tip. I tip about 10%

I also tip at food buffets, I tip because even though I am getting my own food and drinks, they are clearing the dishes off of our tables. I tip $1.00 a person.

I tip at sandwich shops where you watch them make your sandwich. $1.00

Part of the reason I tip is because I am lucky enough to be able to afford to go out to eat, there were times when we did not have money enough for that.

I also tip because I see how hard the people are working and again I'm lucky enough to be able to go out.

IC

SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

littlemiss63 wrote:If she is such a cheapskate by not tipping why not just prepare her meals at home?
Kitchen reno, For which she didn't think ahead. Failing to plan is planning to fail! She's making him do drive-through fast food tonight.

These people are a trip!