dishwasher or hand washing dishes

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Dgflorida

dishwasher or hand washing dishes

Post by Dgflorida »

I read an article that said that the new dishwashers are more efficient than handwashing dishes. I don't believe it. What do you think?
colonialgirl

Re: dishwasher or hand washing dishes

Post by colonialgirl »

I think it depends on how you wash dishes. If you do it with running water for rinsing and do dishes several times a day, then yes I think the new dishwashers are more efficient. But if you use a wash sink & a rinse sink and do most of the at once, then I think that would be more efficient.

But for me, who hates dishes more than ANY other chore, it really doesn't matter. A dishwasher is one of my necessities. I would give up a great many things to have one.
littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

Dgflorida wrote:I read an article that said that the new dishwashers are more efficient than handwashing dishes. I don't believe it. What do you think?
dgflorida, I washed enough dishes as a kid growing up to last me a life-time. I have a KitchenAid dishwasher and it's wonderful. I'm like CG I wouldn't want to be without one eventho I don't use it as often as I once did. I feel like my dishes are more sanitized by using the dishwasher as my heats the water to a higher temperature than comes out of the water heater.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

If you are a single person who cooks lightly, then handwashing is going to be cheaper, especially if you dip the dishes in a bowl of clean water to rinse. If you are feeding a family, then the dishwasher will win out.

I personally do not like to do dishes, but will handwash the last few that did not fit into the dishwasher when needed. DH regards it as a must-have appliance, so we're on the same page there.
Mackie
Heloise

Post by Heloise »

MackerelCat wrote:If you are a single person who cooks lightly, then handwashing is going to be cheaper, especially if you dip the dishes in a bowl of clean water to rinse. If you are feeding a family, then the dishwasher will win out.
I agree, though I hate using my dishwasher. I always hand-wash and dry. Mind you, considering an average modern dishwasher uses approx. 4 gallons (15 litres) of water, it's a close race.

Washing by hand means no listening to the annoying humming noise of the automatic dishwasher and no putting dishes away afterwards. I get everything done and out of the way first time around when hand-washing and drying.
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

Count me as one who hates to wash dishes and believes a dishwasher to be a necessity. I do hand wash pot, pans and knives. I could probably go without the dishwasher when it is just me, but I prefer not to.