Daily Check in Sept 24, 2015

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
rinty

Re: Daily Check in Sept 24, 2015

Post by rinty »

Hey Guys,

Sat watching Pope Francis live, crying my eyes out " Let us remember the Golden Rule"......he is such a wonderful man. He is talking about the refugees crisis. He seems like the worlds only leader right now.

I went to the Job Centre. Need to jump thru a lot of hoops to qualify for some courses........the lady was reticent to tell which course might be available until I signed up for benefits. I , of course, don't want to lose my little job and sign up for benefits unless the courses available would actually be helpful. Sigh. I cannot afford to do some courses alone that would be a better career path working in schools. I don't think she thought I was needy enough ; ( I did bring enough paperwork though !!! A bit annoyed as ( and this bit might annoy others but its How I Feel right now ) I could not work full time/pursue any career with DS. Now, I want to contribute, update any workable skills I do have and pay my own way. Small rant over. I'll find a way.

DH still keen to be my Little Telephone Helper............." Sweetheart, sweetheart, its your phone !!!!".............the he77 you say, DH , wondered what that noise was........... ( eyeroll ) Anyway I have been to the jobcentre and seen what my options are, and look like Self Reliance is the way to go.............shocker.

Dinner tonight is soup and bread. Less boring than it sounds. Its made from our garden tomatoes, lentils and bacon. Yum.

MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Rinty, can you set the phone to silent ring so that you don't have to answer calls from the school, and even better, your little helper won't hear it? Sorry the trip to the Job Centre was not very fruitful.
Mackie

floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Hi all.

Maggie, congrats to your son on passing his driving test and I'm glad that all is well with your job. I don't know how your DH manages to combat jet lag on his short trips back and forth to India. That would tire me out big time.

Jackie, glad your DH is on the mend.

Rinty, I also watched the Pope's very moving speech. I hope that it changes some minds and behaviors here in the U.S. but I'm not holding my breath.

Yesterday I cut mom's front and back yards and also did some weeding. Whew! Even though it is still hot, I could tell that it is so much better than doing yardwork in August. Mom made sandwiches for us for lunch and started to cry because she has such a hard time seeing when she puts the sandwiches together. I felt so bad for her. But she bounced back to her usual positive self.

Today I'm going to color my hair. Unlike some here who have given it up, I'm still too vain to quit coloring. Tomorrow I'm meeting a friend for coffee and then another friend for lunch so it should be a fun day.

Have a good day.

frugalmom

Post by frugalmom »

I enjoy reading all of your posts and what you are doing today-mine sound boring compared to you all-lol! Although yesterday we did have a PTO meeting to pan our Harvest Fair and looking for new board members so I can get out(exhausting work and I have too much going on) BUT then at the meeting these parents were already against the teachers and principal and they stated they are watching everyone,what can PTO do for ME or parents and want everything from the government/districts to give them for free,etc. They were in attack mode. I was thinking first of all we work together with teachers and principal(who has been great) not against them. After they had two years past(before we cleaned it up and instituted measures to account for the money-but next PTO can change that) of financial mismanagement where the President used the money as her own piggy bank,we came in and cleaned it up and gained the teacher's trust again! Now they are coming back into the fold-last year they were wary bc of what happened in the past and they saw the good work we did and we gave the money to the teachers for supplies,etc. So I did not want to have these people take over the PTO-don't know what I am going to do yet. I was thinking maybe stick with PTO and last year since son is going to 6th grade and then disband and give out the money back to the school and new PTO has to start from scratch like we did.

The President thinks like me,so we get along well,but it seems everyone else thinks like them-what can you do for ME,ME,ME and give me,give me,give me. Is it like that all over these days or maybe just in my area? well except the LDS(and I am not one)-they are very giving and help out,etc.

My nephew will be coming over the weekend(this is the one like my son whom i love very much and was there from the day he was born and lived with them til he was about 3 yo-our sons are best friends and the kids think of him as a brother.). He got a divorce a year or so ago and was devastated. He is worrying me(I am not supposed to know this but dd told me) bc he just quit his job,living in a room of someone's house(moved out of apartment) told his ex-wife he is leaving everything to her if anything happens,drinking lots,etc-sounds like suicidal thoughts right? My dd is helping him with this and son(they just found out about it)-so they are all coming to my house as a get together(since I am not supposed to know). It doesn't help that his dad all his life said things like it is easier to leave this world then to deal with all the sh*% and misery. If you were never born you don't have to deal with all this cr@#!He was the only child(thank goodness-they don't like having children-although I know they love him and they cried when he got divorced). So if anyone knows how I can handle this without supposedly knowing anything-let me know!!! I just figure maybe surround him with family and love will help him feel better or have some hope-but I don't know if that is enough.I have prevented three suicides of my friends in the past-but IDK how I did that as I did not know they were even contemplating that and I just came in at the right time or gave the right support,but Idk how I prevented that-they did not tell me til years later!

Hmm..too much drama in my life-I want peace-I don't want drama! I have other things going on too-ALL DRAMA-and when it is your kids or family,your heart just breaks for them that they are suffering or going through this and you want to be able to make their pain stop or change things for them but you don;t know how or can and you wonder I guess they have to sort out that for themselves-part of life like not everyone is going to like you,there will be mean people out there(like my dd's team is bit#5& and some are quite mean and she is the "nice" one(they tell her she is too nice),she does not twerk,she is more studious,different interests,not "ghetto" and they don't set her,they push her out of the way to get her spot,the coach doesn't help when she asks who should go in for that spot bc they pick their best friend which is not her,etc. I am not allowed to say anything(coach has made it clear in the beginning she does not want to hear from parents-she had troubles the year before),but I hate seeing her in tears sometimes-my heart breaks for my girl. ut I figure she has to learn sometime,because she is so trusting and naive and believes in the good of people all her life and that is like me until I reached my 40s did I find out differently-took me that long! So better she learns at a young age!

Ok,not frugal but getting roof estimates to fix roof(have dry rot,etc) before Ell Nino hits us and they are so far around 5450.00!!! YIKES! I told dh put a tarp on it if it leaks-most of the time we are in a drought anyway!!! Since he fell off the roof last Dec-thought it is not a good idea for him to be up there! He was very lucky they told him in ER and we met one roofer who was VERY SLOW and i asked did he fall off the roof and he said yes-he was only 51 yo and my hubby is older and moved around much quicker-it was like that roofer had a head injury or stroke! Yes, we are not going with him!

Ok,so today I am staying home(although I am waiting for my friend to call back so we can walk around the lake!If not, I will just use my exercise bike today. Getting back into exercising-albeit I don't have the same strength and stamina these days-boy, I deconditioned so much after my injuries!). If you don;t use it,you lose it I told my patients all the time and it is soooo true,so that is why I am listening to my own advice! Sometimes I don't listen to my own good advice-too stubborn!

Otherwise, I think I am staying home for the most part today to catch up on some cleaning and I think I will make Armenian green bean and beef stew with Persian rice.Or maybe Las Mulas with tortillas and steak,cheese to use up my avocado. But then again it looks gloomy today a bit,so maybe chicken tortilla soup sounds good(that was not on my menu but I have the ingredients to make that) so one of those things. the other day I had only one long eggplant left and I diced up a few green beans and mixed with ground chicken and basil that was getting old and made my own version Thai dish(I diced the eggplant and green bean to small pieces like a cm long) and it turned out good! It extended the meat and gave it that crunch I like.

Ok I guess that is it-so nothing really going on except all in the mind stuff and it is weighing on my mind and I worry(I am a worry wart already so this doesn't help)-it is true the more kids you have,the more worries bc they all have something they deal with eventually and you are also dealing with it as a parent bc it affects you even though they say why are you worried bc it affects them not me,but it does! I am never depressed,unless it affects my kids then it affects me,I am not depressed but I hurt for them(hard to explain).

rinty

Post by rinty »

Ellen Marie, for what its worth, I think it would be MORE frugal to fix your roof. Get a couple of quotes from reputable firms and Get Her Done ; ) It will protect the value of your home for one thing, you don't want to de-value it by not keeping on top of the upkeep. Also, peace of mind......it'll be done, you'll be snug, warm and safe. I know its a boring way to spend money but sadly, its a necessary one from the sound of it. Your mortgage is paid off and you'll be protecting the value of your investment.

Edited to add, Ellen Marie do you know the quote that " A Mother is only as happy as her saddest child " ?

frugalmom

Post by frugalmom »

Thank you! I am getting estimates-5450.00 average it seems to be the cheapest too-I just got one right now for 8500.00 which my neighbor paid-OUCH! One other neighbor did use the tarp method-lol-and I told my dh see,that is a good idea! I know my dh told me we have to fix it-use to be when you fix things it was like 100.00,then it became a 1000.00 and now it goes in 5000.00 increments lately! We are trying to get things fixed before he retires at 62 yo(couple of years or so) and to last us the rest of our lifetime at least,so we are doing it now while we have some money bc when we retire we probably have much less and not as mobile to climb up the roof to see what is the matter,etc. So we are painting too after this. I know we are fixing things we need to fix,but it is like cha-ching,cha-ching-you know how I hate to part with my money since I don't have much of it,it even makes it harder! I just rather like save it all and sit on top of it!