Is retirment what you thought it would be??

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
icfrugal1

Is retirment what you thought it would be??

Post by icfrugal1 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:08 pm

I love being retired, but I'm not sure what I thought it would be, I am always amazed when I read about what everyone is planning to do for the day it the daily reports.

I love having time for long lunches with my friends. In the summer I have time to sit by the pool and read.

I can take care of my business during the day.

I feel better if I have some thing to do each day, whether it's trying to clear something out or lunch or something.

The days that are way too long are the days that nothing is planned.

So is retirement what you expected?

do you have a "bucket list", I don't.

I do need to add that I am perfectly happy. :D

IC

rinty

Re: Is retirment what you thought it would be??

Post by rinty » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:01 pm

icfrugal1 wrote:I love being retired, but I'm not sure what I thought it would be, I am always amazed when I read about what everyone is planning to do for the day it the daily reports.

I love having time for long lunches with my friends. In the summer I have time to sit by the pool and read.

I can take care of my business during the day.

I feel better if I have some thing to do each day, whether it's trying to clear something out or lunch or something.

The days that are way too long are the days that nothing is planned.

So is retirement what you expected?

do you have a "bucket list", I don't.

I do need to add that I am perfectly happy. :D

IC
This is really thought -provoking !

I am not retired but DH is.

His "plan" was a small holding in the middle of nowhere in Wales. We live in small market town NOT in Wales. But two things changed that plan...........one was his recurring health issues since his heart attack.....the other was our children. We have a large affectionate family with an ever growing number of grandbabies. They are at most a couple of hours away. We have them on a regular basis and can help out whenever we are needed. He LOVES that so in that he is totally fulfilled.

He wants an allotment but we have a very productive garden in the house we bought with a greenhouse which has been a nice "training ground" for the allotment, so that works for him too.

We planned to travel.......but are Boringly Content and find enough to do in our own country.

He does want to find a niche to volunteer in .

BeckyO

Post by BeckyO » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:25 pm

I did think about retirement but didn't really make any plans. I love having time to do the things I want to do, ie interact with family and friends, lunches out, travel, paint, read ALL night, LOL

I went thru the volunteer stage, I think it is seeking structure. But I quit when I decided I didn't want structure, don't want to have to go a certain day and time. Terrible I know, but that is the way I feel now.

I love retirement,but could you add a few more hours to each day? I run out of time.
Last edited by BeckyO on Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vaeagen

Post by Vaeagen » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:40 pm

I am in the dreaming of retirement stage and dh just retired on 9/15...so it is really something on both our minds. Right now for dh there is not too much to think of as we are still busy just living. Both our children are home (dd is 23 and ds is 20) and dh's parents live very close by and are elderly (dfil is 83 and dmil is 81) Dmil has Alzheimers and is just starting to progress into more and more short term memory problems. So we have our hands full. We will have to really sit down and think about what we will do in say 10 years down the road when I can see things being a bit more settled....perhaps another smaller hosue where we could live out in the country without such really close neighbors (we live in the suburbs of NYC on LI) so anything w/ 2 acres will seem like huge.

We will dream on. looking forward to the answers from everyone.

Valerie

clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:55 pm

What surprises me is how much I change from year to year.

The things I like to do, buy, eat, hobbies etc.

I go with the flow. If I get tired of something - I stop doing it. Used to love plants, now they take up too much of my time, so most are gone except my veggies. Who knows how long those will be around.

If I didn't have to cook for the COD out of guilt, that task would be out the window too! LOL.

Just stay flexible.

littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:44 am

My retirement plans didn't work out the way I planned because I lost the love of my life before we had much time to spend in retirement together. I have had to readjust, but am doing better all the time. Time really does help in how you cope and feel about things after a loss.

I'm lonely, but try to fill my days with things that bring me happiness and make me smile. I"m enjoying being able to read until all hours of the night, if I want to pop corn at 3:00 in the morning I don't have to worry about disturbing anyone else.

I do eat out more than I should, but it's no fun eating alone either. At first I couldn't eat in a restaurant alone, but now I can. I was called to volunteer so much the first six months after I retired until I burned out real quick. Now I have no trouble saying no if I don't care to do something.

I really enjoy having the time to pamper myself. I'm good at doing my own hair, giving myself mani's , pedicures, & facials. It makes me feel good if I get up, get dressed and put on my make-up every day. I now have that extra time to spend on myself.

When I was working, I never gave myself down-time. I had to be doing something all the time and I have now learned to pace myself. If a chore doesn't get done today, it will happen tomorrow or the next day. I am virtually stress free and that makes for an easy life. I realize how fortunate I am to be healthy and able to do virtually anything that my heart desires.