Daily Check in April 10, 2017

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
MackerelCat

Re: Daily Check in April 10, 2017

Post by MackerelCat »

Jackie, I had a mild case of vertigo for about nine months (last summer to just recently) before it completely resolved. There are exercises you can find on the internet that may help with it.

Good morning, frugal friends! DH and I spent the weekend working on the house and the yard, and yesterday evening I cooked spaghetti for supper with a marinara-mushroom-onion sauce. It was very yummy and used up an onion and mushroom that had been languishing in the fridge.

DH has all his seasonal plantings done, and he refreshed the herb garden and bought me two cherry tomato plants. The full-size tomatoes don't do well in containers for us, but the cherry ones produce like gangbusters. The yard looks so lovely!

After work today, I need to do a little laundry and dustmop the house again. The dogs are shedding and bring in bits of grass on their coats, so the floors get unkempt looking in no time flat lately.

Hope everyone has a lovely, frugal day.
Mackie

Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

I don't know what caused it Janet. It has gotten milder, but still it bugs me to no end.

Thanks everyone, off to see if I can find those exercises online.... Don't know if I want to hang my head over the bed.......

NoisyPorkchop

Post by NoisyPorkchop »

Ahh, good morning everyone!

Just enjoying my quiet time this morning bundled up in my fuzzy robe and nursing a warm cup of tea with my favorite vanilla creamer in it. It is funny that I don't have any particular plans in store for us today, maybe just a lazy day or so around the house puttering around and doing little things. I can't tell what the weather is up to, it is just overcast and grey and I think it is going to sprinkle off and on so no big yard plans unless I feel ambitious and go pull a few weeds near a fence line that I can't spray because of the rose bush and little flowers that are there.

I have a glass cooktop stove that my husband bought me about 5 years ago. I used cast iron cookware on my old coil-top stove but was told I couldn't use the cast-iron on the glass cooktop as it would scratch and ruin the top. I was paranoid and went out and bought some fancy non-stick Kitchenaid cookware at Bed Bath and Expensive and plunked almost $200 for the set. I never was happy with it and even though I took care of the set they are shot; the pans are completely worn out and the pots have multiple scratches in them thanks to other members of the family who use metal utensils to stir food in them. Grrr! I kept my beloved cast-iron skillets and, finally in a fit of frustration, pulled out my big skillet to cook dinner in last night. It still had its nice seasoned coating on it and I felt like the bottom of the skillet was smooth enough to use on my glass top. I oiled it up and heated it and cooked a WONDERFUL dinner in it and nothing stuck to the pan! I am pretty convinced that I don't want to mess around with my old non-stick pans and just want to use my three cast-iron skillets. I am very careful with not sliding my pans around everywhere but I am not so sure about when DSD19 and Hubby want to cook something. Hubby probably will be very careful; he saw I was using the cast iron skillet last night and fretted that I would damage my stove top (he paid a small fortune for the stove as a birthday gift for me that I wanted) but I assured him everything turned out fine. I think I am going to keep the non-stick around for the other family members to use but break out my stash of cast iron when I am doing the cooking. I sure love my cast iron and am happy to be able to use it.

Well, I am off to shower and get dressed and figure out what day I should have. I have some short ribs that a friend gave us as he didn't like them :o and said we could have them. I think I am going to try to cook them up in a crock-pot and give it a whirl to see how they turn out. Have a lovely frugal day!

littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

Good Morning Everyone,

Beautiful cool Spring day in my part of the world, but the "one's in the know" says it will get to 78° today, it's nowhere near that now. My thermometer says 62° I have some errands to run and I will wait to see if it warms up any before I head out.

Wonderful leisurely week-end and I say that with tongue in cheek. I promised ya'll I wouldn't give up on learning to knit and after several days of listening to the video's on YouTube, taking out rows after I made a mistake (I can't stand for it to not look right) I am proud to report that I have four rows of something. I really admire you ladies that can whip out a dishcloth in a few hours, and relax having a cup of coffee. I was all fingers, know my blood pressure was up several points and would forget to do something that I'd have to start over on. LOL I am now feeling more calm and since the gal that was teaching this class didn't tell me how many rows I needed just needed to measure when I get to 9" long, i can't tell you how much longer it will take me to make this baby. I sure am glad I'm not doing it for a living because I would starve. I think I will frame it, not use it when I finish.

Did have a wonderful week-end otherwise. Our Easter Musical Presentation was last night and it was wonderful. We have such a great group of people in our choir and Orchestra who are very talented. Went out to eat with friends afterwards.

I don't have a lot on my to-do list today so may get some yard work done if it warms up too.

Jackielou, I had vertigo once and I thought I was going to die I was so sick. I was nauseous as well and could barely stand up without help so my heart goes out to you. This is one that I tried and it helped me.

Epley Maneuver

If your vertigo comes from your left ear and side:

Sit on the edge of your bed. Turn your head 45 degrees to the left (not as far as your left shoulder). Place a pillow under you so when you lie down, it rests between your shoulders rather than under your head.
Quickly lie down on your back, with your head on the bed (still at the 45-degree angle). The pillow should be under your shoulders. Wait 30 seconds (for any vertigo to stop).
Turn your head halfway (90 degrees) to the right without raising it. Wait 30 seconds.
Turn your head and body on its side to the right, so you're looking at the floor. Wait 30 seconds.
Slowly sit up, but remain on the bed a few minutes.
If the vertigo comes from your right ear, reverse these instructions. Sit on your bed, turn your head 45 degrees to the right, and so on.
Do these movements three times before going to bed each night, until you've gone 24 hours without dizziness.

I copied this from Web Med.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day.

itspennyc

Post by itspennyc »

I surprised myself this morning as I slept until after 6 am.

I have washed my hair, stripped my bed, the sheets are in the dryer, started making the bed. My garbage and trash is out. My bed is made

I made a list of mold numbers of the Tupperware that I have that that is cracked or broke, and placed the order. I should get the replacement in 7-9 days.

I have had a busy morning. I have one load of wash to fold, and another to hang once the dryer is finished.

I need to decide just what I want for lunch. I am undecided between deviled eggs and a grilled cheese sandwich.

Penny

BevMoore

Post by BevMoore »

Good morning!
Noisyporkchop I love my cast iron skillets as well. I also discovered that since avocado oil has a higher smokepoint it cooks my food without it sticking to the pan.

I am getting ready to head out for a few days. Gas up, stop by Kaiser and then meet DD in Folsom for some shopping. Then off to Placerville (actually her place is about 10 miles outside of there. She is going to teach me vegan cooking and other nutrition tips she has learned in her class. Bringing this laptop and some wine for the evenings. I expect to return home sometime Wednesday. I will hopefully be on line while I am there.

Bev