Daily Check In April 15, 2017

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
jackie26us

Daily Check In April 15, 2017

Post by jackie26us »

Good Morning,

Man what an eventful week. My SUV ended up having the sub-frame rotten out and we ended up buying me a newer vehicle. Kind of a surprise since we were just bringing it in to be repaired. It turned out well though. I ended up buying a 2007 Ford Ranger pick up with only 61K miles on it. That kind of mileage is almost unheard of up here in Maine since you have to drive a ways to get anywhere. Anyhow I love my truck. It rides so nice. The dealer had put new shocks, all 4 brakes, the sway bar link and brand new tires ($150 each) on it. It's nice to have a safe vehicle. Plus I've always been a truck person. I also get way better gas mileage than my SUV did which is funny since they both have the same motor.

Rest of the week was nice. Today I need to get some jeans. DS will practice driving and hopefully parallel parking.

Enjoy you day.

alliesmama4

Re: Daily Check In April 15, 2017

Post by alliesmama4 »

jackie26us wrote:Good Morning,

Man what an eventful week. My SUV ended up having the sub-frame rotten out and we ended up buying me a newer vehicle. Kind of a surprise since we were just bringing it in to be repaired. It turned out well though. I ended up buying a 2007 Ford Ranger pick up with only 61K miles on it. That kind of mileage is almost unheard of up here in Maine since you have to drive a ways to get anywhere. Anyhow I love my truck. It rides so nice. The dealer had put new shocks, all 4 brakes, the sway bar link and brand new tires ($150 each) on it. It's nice to have a safe vehicle. Plus I've always been a truck person. I also get way better gas mileage than my SUV did which is funny since they both have the same motor.

Rest of the week was nice. Today I need to get some jeans. DS will practice driving and hopefully parallel parking.

Enjoy you day.
Jackie congrats on your new vehicle. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Good morning. It is a lovely day here in the Midwest with nice temps in the AM. Went up to 80 yesterday and will do the same today. Although a chance of rain..However it is April.I did have to use my ceiling fans but it was very comfortable.

I will be cooking today to try to get some things cooked ahead for the week. Nothing planned for Easter except me, myself and I. Will have some ham, faux potato salad, and some other kind of veggie, Some kind of dessert both to be determined at a later date.

Hope everyone has a lovely week-end. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama

mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

Good Morning,
I got up and went out for my walk. It was about 6400 steps worth. I was contemplating getting in the shower when DS2 got up and went in. This morning I want to make egg-shaped rice crispy treats for tomorrow. I have a shower for my cousin's daughter at 2:00 I was not going to go because I am not invited to her destination wedding and their family has not attended graduation etc for my kids. But Mom said it seems like the bride is trying to connect to her Dad's side of the family. Mom got a gift from both of us. I got a card :? After the shower I will see what I can do to get Mom ready for tomorrow's dinner. I still have to make the deviled eggs.

Have a great day,
Maggie

chocolite

Post by chocolite »

Good morning Maggie, Janet, and Jackie –

It is nice outside – sunny and cool. It will get hot later…too hot for this time of year to suit me. Yesterday we came within one degree of breaking a record.

I made a coconut layer cake yesterday. We are having Easter lunch at DSIL’s, and they request this cake every year. It needs to sit in the fridge for a few days before serving – it just gets better and better if it does. I will make a marinated tomato salad to take as well.

I’m about a month out from my hand/wrist/elbow surgery and my wrist is still giving me quite a bit of pain. It is swollen and painful to the touch. Apparently I have done something to cause this but for the life of me I can’t remember what that might be. Ugh…the old grey mare, she ain’t what she used to be…

I got out yesterday to pick up a prescription, but today I have no plans to leave the house, other than to take Audrey for a walk later. Speaking of Audrey, she and Hobbes are now getting along famously. They have started playing together, which makes me so happy. They will both sleep on my lap for as long as I can stand it. I think Audrey is part cat, though. She grooms herself and loves to be up off the floor. One of her favorite spots for snoozing is the back of the loveseat. Right now she is on the footrest of my recliner…which cannot be that comfortable, but apparently it beats lying on the floor. :-)
Patty

Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

It is sunny right now, but that is supposed to change by late morning, afternoon. Lately, however, the weather pundits have not been correct in their predictions. Just in case they are, Hubby needs to get the eaves trough reattached to the water barrel (now moved and clean), or we could have a bit of a flood there.

Today will be a get things done around the house day so that all I need do is cook and attend church tomorrow. Whew, the cooking will be more than enough. Father B has decided that there will be two Masses tomorrow. One at 10 and the other at 11. This must mean he thinks Mass will move along quickly cause we could have a congested area for parking at the 11 am Mass. Hope it was just a misprint and that it should read 11:30 (but I doubt it).

Frugality wise we will be cooking using items in the house for our meals. I do notice that the milk is getting low so I may make a quick trip to get some more (forgot to pick one up when shopping) and since I will use money already earmarked as spent (my allowance) not going to count this day as a spend one.

Blinds and drapes are open to take advantage of the sunshine this morning, however, it being a bit cooler than yesterday the furnace is running this morning. I will be taking a walk for exercise, and doing all the usual things I do in running a frugal household. I may have to think of some new ideas as our property taxes are going to go sky high this year. The assessment went up by over 23,000 and with the province cutting gifts in lieu by hundreds of thousands of dollars, the cities have to make up the differences. Cities are doing just that by cutting services and/or raising taxes, or perhaps a combination of both. This provincial government has just made things much worse for everyday people trying to make ends meet.

Along with knitting today, I am hopeful of cutting out those pj bottoms for Hubby. I would really like to spend some afternoons in the sewing/craft room next week getting things completed. Actually this is exactly one of my goals for this month and I need to get back in the swing of things by getting a few sewing projects completed.

I am turning off the news today and for the rest of the weekend. Things are getting a bit too scary with all the saber rattling going on. I hope and pray that we are not entering a nuclear showdown and that cool minds prevail.

Supper this evening will more than likely be hamburgers, and a salad. Just not too sure what type of salad I will make, and I am hopeful that Hubby will be able to BBQ.

Today I am thankful for hot cups of coffee, and a warm shawl wrapped around my shoulders.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.