Daily Check In April 19, 2017

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
floridacatlover

Re: Daily Check In April 19, 2017

Post by floridacatlover »

EllenMarie, I'm sorry that you and your DH are going through this. How old is your DH? Did I understand correctly that he could retire in June -- even though I know he would rather go back to work? Would this be early retirement or regular retirement (full pension)? I'm assuming as a bus driver that he works for city or county government and they might have a desk job (scheduling buses, scheduling bus maintenance, etc.) if he still wants to work. Would that be possible?

About five years ago a co-worker, early 50s, was hit by a truck crossing the street behind our building (walking). He almost died but gradually recovered. Head injuries take a long time to get better as you know. He is mostly OK now but could no longer work in his profession (accountant) so took long-term disability from our company. It pays 55% of salary. He sued the truck company and did get a settlement but I have no idea how much. (Our company was not involved because he was not actually on the job when the accident happened.) I know how your DH feels about not wanting to deal with doctors and lawyers but sometimes you have to do it.

As for drama, mine is a quiet drama. Every day I see my mom failing a bit more and I'm so alone. I have no one to help me or even cry on their shoulder, no spouse, siblings or children. Sometime I just want to curl up in a corner and go on a permanent sleep but I wouldn't do it because then mom would have no one to help her.

mona50

Post by mona50 »

My heart goes out to you - have you considered a caregiver support group?

floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

mona50 wrote:My heart goes out to you - have you considered a caregiver support group?
Think you so much. Yes, I have just started thinking about finding a support group.

clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Listen to your brother. Isn't one a lawyer?

My sister works for a law firm that specializes in accident injury cases. They treat their clients very well. But of course they take on cases that they know they will win. I'm surprised no one came knocking on your door as soon as it happened.

I was in a small accident, hit from behind, and I had lawyers calling me by the time I got home from the ER! Went there as a precaution.

As for reviews online - throw out the best and worst. Go with the medium.

clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

floridacatlover wrote:
mona50 wrote:My heart goes out to you - have you considered a caregiver support group?
Think you so much. Yes, I have just started thinking about finding a support group.
Hope you find someone to talk to. You know there are good things and bad things about having family around to help you out. Good is that you can take turns which is probably the best thing.

Bad - the second guessing. Why is so and so not doing XYZ or doing ABC. The accusations mostly non verbal of others not doing enough.

All human nature I guess. But no perfect solution.

BevMoore

Post by BevMoore »

LOL I remember the food trucks back in the day....they were called roach coaches. But I always thought the food was good especially their home made burritos. I ate off of them a lot when I did audits on site because they were convenient. You can still find the generic food trucks around especially at job sites. And the burritos are still good!

The food trucks you see at events do cost an arm and a leg to order from but you can't beat the food. They have a food truck fest by my house the first Wednesday of each month. But instead of going to those I go to the farmers market that is held on the same site every Sunday. Much much healthier pickin's!

Bev