Buying on the internet your salvation or your downfall?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
delighted99

Re: Buying on the internet your salvation or your downfall?

Post by delighted99 »

IC,
i was thinking about writing this post myself!! no joke!!

i recently became a member of amazon prime and with that you get free 2 day shipping. for a busy mom like myself i have to love the convenience of not going to a bunch of different stores to get various items. it is simply too much of a hassle to get cooperation from my little one with that many trips. i just don't want to go there! so last week i replaced a kitchen spatula, a certain hand lotion that i seem to only be able to buy at a clothing store, and a worn out purse.

later in the week i realized i needed to buy lidded buckets for a project. i instantly went to amazon of course. i then asked a friend who i thought would have some.. she didn't... but this friend suggested i check home depot. in this case, home depot was considerably cheaper.

while i love the convenience of online shopping... i need to really check other sources before i jump to buying online. it is easy to order stuff and the shipping is, in my case, free and quick. very tempting!

i also adhere to the advice i read on here many times.. "stay out of the stores". well now i'm trying to apply that to the virtual shopping arena as well :)
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Hubs does the online buying. Generally, I ask him what the amazon prices are and then I compare them with Walmart etc. If they are cheaper and we don't need it now, I have him order it through amazon. But about 30% of the time, it is cheaper in store even with the tax.

I wouldn't say the internet is a downfall. I do like comparison shopping and the net does that better than my old brain. I don't buy on impulse, so it is not a problem to buy online. I don't currently grocery shop online although Walmart makes it easy. I have an old fashion cell phone and it costs to use it, so calling when I arrive at the store isn't worth it to me. That may change over time.
BeckyO

Post by BeckyO »

Just ordered a toaster oven/coffee pot/ burner on top. Was checking for microwave/convection combo.. later
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

Dgflorida wrote:Hubs does the online buying. Generally, I ask him what the amazon prices are and then I compare them with Walmart etc. If they are cheaper and we don't need it now, I have him order it through amazon. But about 30% of the time, it is cheaper in store even with the tax.

I wouldn't say the internet is a downfall. I do like comparison shopping and the net does that better than my old brain. I don't buy on impulse, so it is not a problem to buy online. I don't currently grocery shop online although Walmart makes it easy. I have an old fashion cell phone and it costs to use it, so calling when I arrive at the store isn't worth it to me. That may change over time.
Walmart will match prices from Amazon, and a bunch of other retailers. I bought a countertop dishwasher last year, and they matched Home Depot's price, so I saved $40.

Also, if I'm buying something that I could return (like an appliance!), I do like to get it from Walmart.com with a matched price, because returning the item is as easy as taking it to Walmart, instead of shipping back.
ohjodi
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

BeckyO wrote:Just ordered a toaster oven/coffee pot/ burner on top. Was checking for microwave/convection combo.. later
Those are SO CUTE!!
ohjodi
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

ohjodi, your point about returning is a good one.