Daily Check in May 19. 2017

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
clemencia2us

Re: Daily Check in May 19. 2017

Post by clemencia2us »

frugalmom wrote:
clemencia2us wrote:Ellen Marie - tell her she is lucky that all this is happening when she has youth on her side.

Get all these bad things out of the way and her years to come will be nothing but success.

And also, sure she had a car wreck, but she should be glad she could afford to get it towed and go get another car.

Sure her friend is sick and might die, but be thankful she is healthy. She has the pick of any school she wants and parents that will help in any way they can.

She is one lucky girl. Bet lots of her friends wish they were in her shoes.
Oh it is my OTHER daughter. The 17 yo one is the "lucky" one as thing just works out for her and this 24 yo one does have one thing after another happen to her. Just like when they were young the 24 yo one had broken ankles like 3 times (growth plates),and even when we had a series of bad luck things happening,the 17 yo was the only one not hurt or injured-even though one day we heard a loud bang and ran outside and I am thinking oh NO another kid down! But she was luckily okay! She always made a hard to get into school like the last minute like two days before school started,or got the best teachers,broke her nose during tryouts but still determined to make varsity and did,etc.My other dd has to work hard for whatever she wants and like she did apply for college(only tried for one) and we did not hear from them and we went to check on what happened and they LOST the application(before online became the way to apply) so she had to go to community college first-weird stuff like that!

The insurance company took care of the free tow whenever it is in an accident. I was surprised she was a bit hysterical when she called although the accident just happened and she chose to call ME in the middle of the bridge-I told her to call 911! Usually she is calm in situations like that (well kind of)-my 17 yo I think she would be panicking and hysterical! I let dd do everything bc I want her to learn what to do if I am not there.
No Ellen Marie - they are both lucky girls to have such great parents. I hope you don't say that the 17 year old is the lucky one and this one is not - out loud in front of them.
colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl »

It is hard for a teenager Ellen. They are by definition dramatic and self involved. Part of the growing process of human beings. I was a level headed kid like your daughter but when I was 17 everything that went wrong was a TRAGEDY!

But with maturity we all come to see more about the realities of life. Life is not fair. And there is a difference between being lucky and blessed.

I used to go to an antique shop & in my mind this woman had the perfect life. Her husband built her a gorgeous saltbox house and a shop next to it and her two little blond hair children were always playing quietly on a rug in front of fireplace in the shop while she made flower arrangements. She was tiny & had long blond hair & wore lovely country clothes and her husband looked like Mark Spitz & worshipped her. I though she was the "luckiest" person in the world. Until her husband left her & got custody of the kids because she was having an affair with a banker 30 years her senior and when she broke it off, he embezzled a bunch of money and on his way out of town stopped and set fire to her shop & burned it out. Of course, everyone in town found out. So much for her lucky life.

I will say a prayer for you and your daughter. Hard times are difficult to get through for all of us & perspective is a hard lesson to learn as we grow up. Hugs (( ))
frugalmom

Post by frugalmom »

clemencia2us wrote:
frugalmom wrote:
clemencia2us wrote:Ellen Marie - tell her she is lucky that all this is happening when she has youth on her side.

Get all these bad things out of the way and her years to come will be nothing but success.

And also, sure she had a car wreck, but she should be glad she could afford to get it towed and go get another car.

Sure her friend is sick and might die, but be thankful she is healthy. She has the pick of any school she wants and parents that will help in any way they can.

She is one lucky girl. Bet lots of her friends wish they were in her shoes.
Oh it is my OTHER daughter. The 17 yo one is the "lucky" one as thing just works out for her and this 24 yo one does have one thing after another happen to her. Just like when they were young the 24 yo one had broken ankles like 3 times (growth plates),and even when we had a series of bad luck things happening,the 17 yo was the only one not hurt or injured-even though one day we heard a loud bang and ran outside and I am thinking oh NO another kid down! But she was luckily okay! She always made a hard to get into school like the last minute like two days before school started,or got the best teachers,broke her nose during tryouts but still determined to make varsity and did,etc.My other dd has to work hard for whatever she wants and like she did apply for college(only tried for one) and we did not hear from them and we went to check on what happened and they LOST the application(before online became the way to apply) so she had to go to community college first-weird stuff like that!

The insurance company took care of the free tow whenever it is in an accident. I was surprised she was a bit hysterical when she called although the accident just happened and she chose to call ME in the middle of the bridge-I told her to call 911! Usually she is calm in situations like that (well kind of)-my 17 yo I think she would be panicking and hysterical! I let dd do everything bc I want her to learn what to do if I am not there.
No Ellen Marie - they are both lucky girls to have such great parents. I hope you don't say that the 17 year old is the lucky one and this one is not - out loud in front of them.
No, I never say that to them-we say there is no such thing as bad luck or good luck! LOL! We tell them YOU make your own luck! And sometimes LIFE does happen, it is up to YOU how to make the best of a situation. As for the car it may be totaled but the insurance company has horrible reviews and like one person said she called 87 times and not once did they call back! They have even reported to the insurance commission and BBB too many times. Oh just great! I am trying to stay positive-but sometimes how can I try to stay positive when things keep going wrong I also think,but still trying! If only because I have to keep everyone else around me, to stay positive and not be upset!
frugalmom

Post by frugalmom »

colonialgirl wrote:It is hard for a teenager Ellen. They are by definition dramatic and self involved. Part of the growing process of human beings. I was a level headed kid like your daughter but when I was 17 everything that went wrong was a TRAGEDY!

But with maturity we all come to see more about the realities of life. Life is not fair. And there is a difference between being lucky and blessed.

I used to go to an antique shop & in my mind this woman had the perfect life. Her husband built her a gorgeous saltbox house and a shop next to it and her two little blond hair children were always playing quietly on a rug in front of fireplace in the shop while she made flower arrangements. She was tiny & had long blond hair & wore lovely country clothes and her husband looked like Mark Spitz & worshipped her. I though she was the "luckiest" person in the world. Until her husband left her & got custody of the kids because she was having an affair with a banker 30 years her senior and when she broke it off, he embezzled a bunch of money and on his way out of town stopped and set fire to her shop & burned it out. Of course, everyone in town found out. So much for her lucky life.

I will say a prayer for you and your daughter. Hard times are difficult to get through for all of us & perspective is a hard lesson to learn as we grow up. Hugs (( ))
Thank you! I heard about that story before-either you must have told that story before or maybe on Dateline or something!
frugalmom

Post by frugalmom »

SandiSAHM wrote:
frugalmom wrote:She says she has prayed to God in the past and it never works for her,prayers are never answered so she does not believe. For me, prayers have always been answered and I have had signs since I was even a little girl, so I believe and pray and give thanks.
My Mom is like that - thinks God either isn't there or doesn't like her - because He never "honors" her prayers. I asked her once, do you pray for what YOU want, or do you pray and say, "but whatever You (God) want, I understand you know best, Your will not mine?" Boy that made her mad, LOL, my Mom is a control freak of the first order.

I'm glad I don't get all my prayers answered my way, because around 20 years ago I prayed soooo hard and so often for a specific thing, and now? Now I realize if He'd given me what I wanted I'd be one miserable human being. What He had planned for me is waaaay better than what I thought I wanted (or needed) back then. Good thing He's smarter than me. And that I didn't get indulged by having what I wanted, because that would have been a disaster.

What's funny is the thing I thought I needed 20 years ago my Mom STILL thinks I need, LOL, and nothing could be farther from the truth.

A lot of times we're left to cope with the consequences of our decisions (otherwise, how can we even hope to learn, or to realize we need any help?) and sometimes we get intervention. I sure needed the intervention. Unfortunately it was still quite a while before I realized or appreciated it. Better late than never.
Yes, that is true-maybe I pray differently than she does-Idk? I do say I leave it up to God's hands to see what he thinks is best bc he has never let me down and I will accept his decision and make the best of it. Because there were times, when the prayers were not answered as I had hoped it would turn out but what God thought it was best and it was not til years later I realized it really was the best thing and not what I had wanted but what God steered me to. So from much experience, I trust him.
frugalmom

Post by frugalmom »

I will let her know. She is not my religious one-all of my kids are except her as she does not see something she does not believe it as that is her proof-I told her about faith,etc. She believes in horoscopes someone pointed out to her but not in God(she is not sure)-which we told her that does not make sense bc she sees it work for her I guess. She says she has prayed to God in the past and it never works for her,prayers are never answered so she does not believe. For me, prayers have always been answered and I have had signs since I was even a little girl, so I believe and pray and give thanks.[/quote

That is true!