S/O pencils and potatoes

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
icfrugal1

S/O pencils and potatoes

Post by icfrugal1 »

The talk about the panhandlers and people not having cash was a real eye opener to me, thank you everyone.

I know that it was not directed to me, but I do have a lot of pencils and potatoes.

I do donate some money to charity, nothing worth talking about.

I do donate "stuff" to the charity, but that is just because I am trying to get rid of stuff!!!!! I do try to not put junk into the bags.

That gets me to thinking about my friend, the one with cancer and works full time with health ins. Her ins does not cover a lot, she is in collections because of past due ins bills. She makes monthly payments, but they don't count $25.00 a month.

I thinking that instead of charities I should give her money. It's complicated, I do have plenty of pencils and potatoes, but....

Help me with my thoughts please. :?

I'm thinking $500.00

IC :?
dlrcpa

Re: S/O pencils and potatoes

Post by dlrcpa »

If it is the fact she has bills in collection that bothers you, then why not just pay one or a couple of her bills for her, rather than handing her $500. That is probably what I would do.
littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

icfrugal1 wrote:The talk about the panhandlers and people not having cash was a real eye opener to me, thank you everyone.

I know that it was not directed to me, but I do have a lot of pencils and potatoes.

I do donate "stuff" to the charity, but that is just because I am trying to get rid of stuff!!!!! I do try to not put junk into the bags.

That gets me to thinking about my friend, the one with cancer and works full time with health ins. Her ins does not cover a lot, she is in collections because of past due ins bills. She makes monthly payments, but they don't count $25.00 a month.

I thinking that instead of charities I should give her money. It's complicated, I do have plenty of pencils and potatoes, but....

I'm thinking $500.00

IC, it's your money and I think you should do exactly what your heart tells you to do. I donate a lot of money to things that are close to my heart. My DH and I decided one year to help a needy family that we knew and we gave them the money that we would have given to our church. We knew where the money was going and they had four little kids to feed. They were very appreciative and I still get notes from them thanking me because it made a total difference in their lives. You know when you have done the right thing. My husband use to say, "I can't make a difference in everyone's life, but I can make a difference in one persons life". I still believe that.

Some people might say, "well you didn't give it to the Lord", but in our hearts we felt like we had, we saw the good it was doing. I believe that God repays you a hundred fold when you help others.
icfrugal1

Post by icfrugal1 »

dlrcpa wrote:If it is the fact she has bills in collection that bothers you, then why not just pay one or a couple of her bills for her, rather than handing her $500. That is probably what I would do.
I think that I know what you are thinking, believe me it is not a case of doing something stupid with her money and then not having money for the medical bills :D

My MIL gambles and in past years would cry to her daughter that she had no food, my SIL would take her mother food, until I kept telling sil that her mother had the money, but chose to make bad decisions. as is said you can ask people for money for food not for gambling. :roll: my mil gambles over $2500 a month, is 86 and has 0 in savings!!!!! Drives me nuts. but now at least MIL pays her bills first.

Anyway my friend is not doing any thing like that, I promise. Now if I do give her money I do trust her to make the best decision with the money to help her out, it is not enough to be life changing .

Thank you
icfrugal1

Post by icfrugal1 »

littlemiss63 wrote:
icfrugal1 wrote:The talk about the panhandlers and people not having cash was a real eye opener to me, thank you everyone.

I'm thinking $500.00

IC, it's your money and I think you should do exactly what your heart tells you to do. I donate a lot of money to things that are close to my heart. My DH and I decided one year to help a needy family that we knew and we gave them the money that we would have given to our church. We knew where the money was going and they had four little kids to feed. They were very appreciative and I still get notes from them thanking me because it made a total difference in their lives. You know when you have done the right thing. My husband use to say, "I can't make a difference in everyone's life, but I can make a difference in one persons life". I still believe that.

Some people might say, "well you didn't give it to the Lord", but in our hearts we felt like we had, we saw the good it was doing. I believe that God repays you a hundred fold when you help others.
Littlemiss, I like you ssoo much, thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!

You married a nice and a wise man. :-)

IC
littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

icfrugal1 wrote:
littlemiss63 wrote:

I'm thinking $500.00

Littlemiss, I like you ssoo much, thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!

You married a nice and a wise man. :-)

IC
Thank you, I like you too. I did marry a nice and wise man and I sure wish I could find another one who is half as good. Sometimes we don't really know what we have until it's no longer there. I appreciated him, but I could have done more.