Sewing Skills

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
BevMoore

Re: Sewing Skills

Post by BevMoore »

I learned how to sew from my mom and I taught myself as well. By the time I took Home Economics I was already skilled seamstress so I was able to ace those classes. I started making my own clothes in middle school. In those days it was a lot cheaper to sew your own clothes than to buy. My parents purchased the fabric and patterns I wanted and I made the clothes. I even made clothes for my mom as well because I loved to sew and she hated it.

I continued sewing even early on into my career. But once I had to start fighting the battle of the bulge I could not get things to fit and became frustrated. Buying clothes off the rack became cheaper and I could try things on instead of spending time on making an item then finding out it did not fit right.

Like many of you I have made curtains, cushion covers for my sofas and quilts. I do still make a quilt occasionally but for the most part my sewing consists of mending things.

Bev

2dogs+someCats

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

BevMoore wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:39 am
I learned how to sew from my mom and I taught myself as well. By the time I took Home Economics I was already skilled seamstress so I was able to ace those classes. I started making my own clothes in middle school. In those days it was a lot cheaper to sew your own clothes than to buy. My parents purchased the fabric and patterns I wanted and I made the clothes. I even made clothes for my mom as well because I loved to sew and she hated it.

I continued sewing even early on into my career. But once I had to start fighting the battle of the bulge I could not get things to fit and became frustrated. Buying clothes off the rack became cheaper and I could try things on instead of spending time on making an item then finding out it did not fit right.

Like many of you I have made curtains, cushion covers for my sofas and quilts. I do still make a quilt occasionally but for the most part my sewing consists of mending things.

Bev
Bev, did you find sewing - as in making your own clothing - to be fun, relaxing, enjoyable - whatever? I just remember being so stressed out in home economics class because I just could not get the hang of it. I was left behind upstairs in the sewing room while everyone else had gone downstairs to begin baking. I even sewed my thumb - with the sewing machine!!!

BevMoore

Post by BevMoore »

Ouch! I think I might have sewn a finger or two while i was learning. I liked the challenging aspects of sewing, being able to create new outfits like the ones in the stores. Back in the day ready made clothes were made in the USA and were of better quality, that is why they were expensive. Going thrifting was not trendy; better off making your own.

My home EC classes were easy for me. I loved that I could make an outfit or two during class time and my classmates could see my work in progress. It made those who were skeptical,believers by the end of the semester.

Bev

2dogs+someCats

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

BevMoore wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:33 am
Ouch! I think I might have sewn a finger or two while i was learning. I liked the challenging aspects of sewing, being able to create new outfits like the ones in the stores. Back in the day ready made clothes were made in the USA and were of better quality, that is why they were expensive. Going thrifting was not trendy; better off making your own.

My home EC classes were easy for me. I loved that I could make an outfit or two during class time and my classmates could see my work in progress. It made those who were skeptical,believers by the end of the semester.

Bev
Ahhhh, that makes sense. I remember when I was elementary school age, my grandmother would spend all summer sewing outfits for me and some of my cousins for back to school. And I mean to tell you, those outfits were amazing and very well made. Other clothing was ordered from a catalog - I think it was Sears maybe. And yes, very expensive.

Thank you for all the info. I guess I will never be a seamstress - on to other pursuits!

BeckyO

Post by BeckyO »

I didn't learn much during the one day of Home-ec that I took (Daddy thought every young lady should take home -ec. He wouldn't sign-f on my schedule without it,) They told me I would learn to make brownies and sew an apron. Four H club had taught me to match plaids and make a dress. Momma sewed all the time and had taught me a lot. I was in 7th grade and had made my own clothes and a school wardrobe, for pay, for a neighbor, so I talked Daddy into letting me change from home ec to Biology.

I bought my first sewing machine, a Singer Featherweight when I was 18. I used it until I literally wore it out. I made all sorts of clothes for my 4 children and myself and all my household fabric furnishings. Saved much, much money.

My hands are so arthritic and have neuropathy that sewing is difficult and painful and the results are not always pretty.

IMO practice is the best thing to improve skill.

BeckyO